Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CrossFit: Cautiously hopeful page 3

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Ouch!!! Watching those videos made me pull a muscle from all the wincing...

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Jackie, I too just started doing CF recently, and have a great instructor. Very informative, not GUNG HO MACHISMO type, and extremely encouraging. Prior to this, I have been swinging kettlebells and have seen similar types(who teach wrong)that are all about the Weight increase at all cost, and not proper technique. The KB gym that I worked out at(had to move due to location change:-( has great instructors and are very focused on form, technique, and increasing weight only when the student was properly ready to.

I say stick with CF box if it makes you happy, and that you are getting what you want from it. I too am really enjoying the CF. Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Thanks, SoccerGrok. I just signed up for one month, and I'll be going to the noon class today.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Different Crossfit boxes have different "atmospheres". I've worked out at some where they are all very competitive; some where the coaches are more hands-on, and some where the coaches are not as involved. The box where I go emphasizes form over speed/weight, has very hands-on coaches, and a great community atmosphere. I've been a Crossfitter for 2.5 years, and I've never gotten injured, or even done anything that looked "iffy".

It's just a matter of finding a place that works for you. Good luck at the new place!

cmg
    cmg is offline Junior Member
    Hi, I just recently started Crossfit too. At my box (in Paris, France), before we're allowed to participate in a WOD (workout of the day) we have to complete 6 training sessions to ensure that we know the techniques. I just did this and tomorrow I start my first official WOD!

I am slowly recoving from tendinitis in the shoulders (training before crossfit) and there's no problem adjusting the WOD to suit my needs. I guess I'm just lucky I found a good box. I signed on for 3 months and like the OP, I'm just going to take it a month at a time. I'll try for 3 wkouts per week.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    Thanks, SoccerGrok. I just signed up for one month, and I'll be going to the noon class today.
    Awesome Jackie:-) Have fun, and keep on grokking!

mark2741 is offline Member
    I've been doing CrossFit for about a 5 weeks now, though I had to take last week off (bad idea to do a squat-based WOD and then have to go help an in-law remove his old tile floor and replace with that click-together laminate flooring - I must have done 2000 air squats while installing that stuff).

At my CF box, so far the coaches are all *very* mindful of form. Before every WOD, right after the warm-up, is a 5 to 10 minute teaching session where the coach demos the movements and then has everyone do the movements/lifts using PVC and they correct form, give tips, etc. There are a lot of newbie coaches but they are usually just assistants to the main coach. The one time I did a WOD with a first-time coach, the WOD was mainly rowing and burpees so it wasn't like much technique was required. I wondered at the time whether that was by design : )

That said - the atmosphere varies class to class. I have showed up at all different time slots and have found that some time slots have all the superfit people, and they are very into pushing things to the limit. But only on themselves. I'm basically the weakest person in the box, which is pretty discouraging and, sometimes, embarrassing, but I'm in my 40's now so I don't mind it. But, if I were younger I'd probably be an idiot and not scale, push too hard, go with too much weight, etc. If you're a buffoon, CrossFit is probably not for you.

I've noticed that the guys who bash CrossFit are usually personal trainers. I agree the entry into the Level 1 CrossFit cert is pretty minimal, but let's face it - so are the majority of mail-order/internet personal trainer certs. That said - I do not think the 3-on, 1-off recommended schedule that CrossFit HQ recommends is suitable for anyone, unless you're in your early 20's, already superfit, and are looking to compete in the CrossFit Games. I have been doing 2x per week and will likely stick with that. If it gets 'easier' as I get stronger/more fit, then I'll just push myself harder during those 2x per week. That is as much HIIT and weight training as anyone really needs, I think, unless they have some other goals.

One last thing - a lot of folks bash the "elite fitness" thing about CrossFit. But at my box it's real - the majority of folks there are ripped, in awesome shape, and are truly well-rounded in terms of fitness: from strength training to gymnastics to cardio, etc. While they always say they are not 'great' at anything but are 'good' at everything, in reality, these people are so freakin strong and fit that they are great at everything. Could they compete in the olympics on any single event? No. But they can do a 5k or even 10k and post a very respectable time, if not better, without training for it. They can lift heavy weights. They can do basic gymnastic moves. Etc. I never saw many people like that at the gyms I was a member of prior. Especially the personal trainers...FWTW. The "Crossshit" buffoons in the video posted prior (which was hilarious) are obviously idiots. You can find the same level of stupidity at your local gym's squat rack, except they have no coach there telling them they are idiots with bad form. Most CrossFit affiliates will.
    Last edited by mark2741; 07-02-2012 at 08:11 PM.

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mark2741 View Post
    I've noticed that the guys who bash CrossFit are usually personal trainers. I agree the entry into the Level 1 CrossFit cert is pretty minimal, but let's face it - so are the majority of mail-order/internet personal trainer certs.
    Hey now, I'm a personal trainer and I spent a lot of time, effort, and money going to school to get an exercise science degree and one of the most respected certifications in the industry (definitely NOT mail-order). I don't necessarily bash CrossFit, but I see a lot of programming flaws that make in unsafe and not suitable for many. High-rep deadlifts and box jumps in the same workout? Bad idea. Too taxing on the central nervous system. I did two years of CF and have been to many boxes during that time. I can say that some were good, but I can also say that some were horrendous. When you are supervised by competent trainers, it can be a good program for general fitness. It's not always the case though, and definitely not the best thing to do without supervision unless you have enough prior experience (or prior supervision).

That's just my college-educated, experienced, and certified point of view.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Yesterday was strength day at the box -- apparently, every Monday focuses on strength. So the WOD was all about the clean and jerk. We spent a good 10 minutes using a PVC pipe as the trainer went over first the clean and then the jerk, and he took the time to work with each of us/all of us before we began to use the bar. While everyone else wound up using the bar and plates, I wound up working with just the 15-pound bar. I tried using it with 10-pound plates, but it was very difficult (I have no upper body strength yet) and my wrist began to ache, so the trainer said I should work with just the bar. And he continuously checked my form and gave me tips -- keep the bar close, get my elbows up -- throughout the workout. While the others did progressively heavier sets, I stuck with the bar. At the end of the class, I asked him if I should keep coming to the Monday classes if they're all about strength and I'm not strong, and he said that I absolutely should come back, that I would get a lot out of it. I watched him help a few others in the group with their form -- he observed, and then he corrected/explained/reviewed with them. All in all, I felt like he was attentive and knowledgeable, and more concerned with making sure that we do things correctly rather than do them quickly.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Crossfit is the bomb. You must make it a goal to talk to your trainers and make sure to make note of anything that felt weird, or hurt. A GREAT CF trainer *WILL* correct your form and be ON IT.

I see 60 and 70 year olds at my Crossfit. I see no reason why most people can't do it, as long as your form is proper. Olympic weight lifting is awesome, again as long as your form is proper.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast