Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CrossFit: Cautiously hopeful page 2

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    If you feel like you're being pushed into "finishing the WOD" and not being able to maintain decent form, you need to have a heart to heart chat with the instructors. I have a huge gripe with a lot of CF guys because of this, the thought process that completing the WOD and how fast is the most important aspect.

Never compromise your safety or health, ever. If they won't take the time to teach you how to do the lifts, and teach you the techniques move on, it's not worth it.

Far too many of the CFIs have the "elite athlete" paradigm, and if you don't fall into it then you will be push into it.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    I wish you much success in this. Just be careful. If they have you doing something where you think, man this looks like a prescription for disaster, pay heed to that. I have no idea what this particular "box" has you doing. Perhaps they have learned from past mistakes and are utilizing what truly works and safely at that. My previous post was of course a generalization based on what I've seen of CF.

It seems that you enjoy the structure and the overall experience and that is a HUGE factor when it comes to any endeavor. If we don't enjoy it, we eventually stop doing it. So keep at it and just use common sense and all should be well.
    Thanks again -- I truly appreciate the advice. I'm returning tomorrow afternoon, and I'll continue to take it slow/with low weight and work my way up. And if I think something is too much or dangerous, I won't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    If you feel like you're being pushed into "finishing the WOD" and not being able to maintain decent form, you need to have a heart to heart chat with the instructors. I have a huge gripe with a lot of CF guys because of this, the thought process that completing the WOD and how fast is the most important aspect.

Never compromise your safety or health, ever. If they won't take the time to teach you how to do the lifts, and teach you the techniques move on, it's not worth it.

Far too many of the CFIs have the "elite athlete" paradigm, and if you don't fall into it then you will be push into it.
    Thanks, Wanderlust! One of the things that got me to try the box yesterday was the owner's insistence that it's safety first. And based on how often she and the other trainer there came around to check form and stance and give tips on doing the movement properly, I'm feeling very encouraged that she wasn't just paying lip service to the notion. The main trainer yesterday showed me all of the movements before we started the WOD, and he watched me/coached me to see that I had it down, and then returned repeatedly to check my form and encourage me on.

I'm feeling positive. But I absolutely will be careful. Thanks again!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad it's going well! Sounds like it's one of the good ones. The quality is really so variable--I've seen videos posted from some gyms that horrified me or just plain made me lol at the ridiculous "workouts" they programmed.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I'm glad it's going well! Sounds like it's one of the good ones. The quality is really so variable--I've seen videos posted from some gyms that horrified me or just plain made me lol at the ridiculous "workouts" they programmed.
    Thanks, Owly! I've got my fingers crossed that the good times continue.

Just don't be one of these people:

"Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

OnlyBodyWeight is offline Senior Member
    Wait, what exactly is the main problem with Crossfit being dangerous? Like in the video, just skip the stupid Olympic weightlighting stuff. (I never TOUCH that stuff, including dead-lifts)

JackieKessler, I say have a great time at Crossfit. MOST of it is EXACTLY what people on this forum do for fitness. ... tons of bodyweight stuff that everyone on MDA does (core work, KB's, pullups, pushups, squats, sprints, etc)
    Last edited by OnlyBodyWeight; 06-29-2012 at 03:28 AM.

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyBodyWeight View Post
    Wait, what exactly is the main problem with Crossfit being dangerous? Like in the video, just skip the stupid Olympic weightlighting stuff. (I never TOUCH that stuff, including dead-lifts)
    Uh, deadlifts are not an Olympic lift.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Also, there's a huge difference between doing Olympic lifts like an idiot with crap form and doing them properly. Lots of people do O-lifts who aren't Crossfitters (and some CF gyms coach people properly so they can do their lifts safely).

And yeah, deadlifts are not an Olympic lift. O-lifts are the snatch and the clean and jerk (and generally Oly training includes component movements).

There are a lot of legit reasons to criticize Crossfit, but the above comment is just ridiculously uninformed nonsense.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyBodyWeight View Post
    I think you might have misunderstood me; there is nothing wrong with CrossFit or with Olympic lifts, or with power lifts. There is something very wrong with compromising safety and technique for some perceived benefit in speed or whatever. That video shows damned near every unsafe bad form you can do....and the whole gym would be sitting around watching this without correcting the technique.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast