Thread: Anyone do a mixture of PBF and Starting Strength? page

Shep1824 is offline Member

Anyone do a mixture of PBF and Starting Strength?

Primal Fuel
    Now that I am done week 12 of SS, I am thinking about spending the next 12 weeks or so doing 2 days of SS per week and one day of PBF body weight work for my 3rd lifting day. I will still have 1 sprint day per week as well.

I am happy with gains that have been made on SS but I still have some fat I want to lose so I feel like the amount of food I have to take in for 3 days of SS can be reduced slightly for this new program.

Has anyone done this or some variation of programs? If so, what kind of results do you see from this?

What does Rippetoe tell you?

He tells you to do the program. If you are not doing the program, then you didn't do the program.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Return of Dado View Post
    What does Rippetoe tell you?

He tells you to do the program. If you are not doing the program, then you didn't do the program.
    Yup. If you are doing something else with SS, it's not SS.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Yup. If you are doing something else with SS, it's not SS.
    I think people are a little too extreme with this, a lot of people are besaically saying the same as "If you do anything besides sitting on a chair 24/7 and ss, you're not doing ss
    Billie trips balls

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    i think people are idiots. starting strength is a tried and true program. if you're not doing it, then you're not doing it. some guy who has only been lifting for a couple months is NOT going to improve upon a program like starting strength. either follow the program or don't.

to the OP, at 12 weeks, you're really just scratching the surface. stick to it. if you are unhappy with the amount of fat you are gaining, reduce calories slightly. this will also result in slower muscle growth. thats just the way it is.

NicMcCool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    I think people are a little too extreme with this, a lot of people are besaically saying the same as "If you do anything besides sitting on a chair 24/7 and ss, you're not doing ss
    True, but the point is anything that compromises SS thus takes away the effectiveness of SS.
    I've got of one them journal thingies. One Night At McCool's

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    to the OP, at 12 weeks, you're really just scratching the surface.
    Shit, at 20 years I still consider myself a beginner.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicMcCool View Post
    Shit, at 20 years I still consider myself a beginner.
    seriously. this kind of know-it-all mentality in terms of weight training is what drives me nuts. that's why every dude in the gym is still benching/squatting/pulling the same weight he was pulling 5 years ago, and still wearing the same size small t-shirts. that's why i lift at home.

muscle building is not easy. and some newb certainly isn't going to make improvements to starting strength/westside/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    seriously. this kind of know-it-all mentality in terms of weight training is what drives me nuts. that's why every dude in the gym is still benching/squatting/pulling the same weight he was pulling 5 years ago, and still wearing the same size small t-shirts. that's why i lift at home.

muscle building is not easy. and some newb certainly isn't going to make improvements to starting strength/westside/etc.
    It's normally impatience that does it. Beginners, total newbies, will make crazy gains in their first 6-18months, but then that'll plateau. Normally at this point instead of sticking with the same routine and continued gains (albeit a bit slower, but continued nonetheless) they drastically switch up their training regime -- normally to something brazen and completely wrong, or as in the OP's case subsidizing an already complete program -- thus jeopordizing their entire progress and more than likely setting them back a few months.

Shep1824 is offline Member
    Thanks for all of the advice. I will stick it out and try to tweak my eating some more to see what that does.