Thread: How do I tell if I have converted to fat-burning? page

athletewhotris is offline Junior Member

How do I tell if I have converted to fat-burning?

Hey everyone,

Most of the stuff I read on IF says I shouldn't try this until my body has made the leap to fat-burning instead of relying on carbs to keep me going. What are some signs or things to look for to know my body has made the switch?

Thanks!

BONZ is offline Senior Member
    My non-scientific answer, I noticed it first thing after waking up. Less cloudy headed, more mentally acute when I first climb out of the bed. The more keto-adapted you are, the less distinct your "just woke up" feeling will be from your afternoon feeling. I also didn't have the afternoon "after lunch crash", energy stayed steady throughout the day. The less acute your "swings" are, the more fat-adapted you are, all other things being equal. Easiest way to check..... start extending time between meals and see how you feel. If you keep rocking without a crash (although you may get a stomach roll), good chance you're keto adapted enough for IF. If not, you'll be exercising that ability and improving your results the next time.
    Went Primal: 20 DEC 2011
    Starting: 6'1" 220 lbs
    Starting Energy: "bleh...."
    Current: 183 lbs @ 8.33% BF (Jackson/Pollock 4 caliper method)
    Current Energy: "WOOHOO!" See my journal HERE.

"Paleo? Try it, but be wary of the cult mentality that comes with it. Paleovangelists are everywhere and a bit scary."

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    I would say when you can tell you won't care if you miss your next meal or not. Just my 2 cents.

isbolick is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I started skipping breakfast only four days after starting paleo. Honestly, it was a relief for me. I have never been big on breakfast, but always ate it because you are supposed to. I feel sooo much better now! In five short days of only eating between about noon and 8 pm, I have more energy and less cravings than I ever have. I am overweight and I guess I am burning through my fat stores. Kinda cool, huh??