Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unusual or uncommon foods you want to try page 3

RogerDeRok is offline Member

Primal Fuel

Rabbit tastes amazing! Doesn't have any fat though, but still way good.

Bison is really good and easy to get, so I'd recommend trying that. Ground bison kinda reminds me of a "spicy" beef.

Ostrich is wonderful. I take an ostrich burger over anything else when it's available. Tastes like beef x 10000.

Speaking of Cuy, I once had a Peruvian land lady and my roommate had a hamster and she kept saying she wanted to eat her.

Anonymous Guest

hah. this lady i used to work with was married to a guy from south america. apparently his family got into a lot of trouble because they were going to pet stores and buying guinea pigs and then having a BBQ.

grandma is offline Member

I remember reading somewhere that you are "supposed" to purge snails with cornmeal to get the nasties out of their system. Not sure what it does to them nutritionally.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Jedi is offline Member

rabbit and wild boar are very common here and totally tasty. we can buy rabbit all year round from supermarket and butcher. Snake I have had in China, and I am not a fan

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

Snapping turtle soup is quite tasty. Just a pain to catch. Frogs' legs are really awesome. A farmers market in Erie (near where I used to live) sold them in small packs. They also sold alligator on occasion.

I've also had venison, quail, elk, eel, emu, rattler (knew friends who hunted these...crazy people), bison, crickets (odd, yet good), escargot, caviar (blargh), gator (in a gumbo - tasty), crawdads (also in a gumbo)...OH and haggis.

I also used to fish when I was growing up, so I've had my share of bluegills, trout, and yellow perch. I still have my handy fillet knife. I should take up fishing again

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

One of these days I need to compile an official list of the animals I've eaten. As of date, my favorites have been raccoon, fox, kangaroo and alligator. Frog legs are great but I don't get them very often.

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member

I'd like to try lots of animals (that I haven't already).

Alligator, wild boar, pheasant, quail, caribou, and moose come to mind.

I think the most exotic animal I've eaten thus far would be either octopus or ostrich. Not sure which one of those would be most exotic. FWIW, I am never eating octopus again though. That might be one of the most disgusting things ever (ok, if I had the choice between octopus and wonder bread, I'd choose the octo, but still).

Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

murat Guest

I had once alligator in Washington, it was rather like fish effectively but I think it was deep frozen, so the taste was rather weak (but not bad). I love shark, in the oven with some cream and spices, delicious. Octopus is nice too but only if it is fresh (better if you catch it your self, but you must first tender it and the process is rather harsh). Rabbit is very nice, I love it with a mustard and cream sauce. I have not been impressed by frog legs. Nice, but not exceptional, given the large waste (you only eat the legs!). Ostrich and bison are really very good, as well as all game in a good slow stew ;-)

I like lamb brain (but we do not eat it anymore because of contamination risks) and love the big lamb intestine sausage (kokoreÁ) that is eaten grilled, with lots of spices in Turkey and the large variety of lamb intestine soups, with lots of garlic and vinegar.

One of the most strange things I have eaten is grilled ram testicle. It is huge and not very easy to eat. I had it only once and I am not a fan of it.

I would like to taste insects because I am curious about their taste but the idea is not easy to put into practice for me... Maybe the next time that I return to Africa.

Trinkwasser Guest

IMO rabbit is best casseroled, wrapped in streaky bacon with carrots, celery, thyme, black pepper and bay leaves (very important!) among other things, cooked slow and long to make it tender. Watch out for bones and those tendons like needles though.

I'd like to experiment with more different varieties of fish, there are gazillions other than the usual types that are often hard to come by.

grandma is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I scratched one off the list recently. Not primal, but I wanted to try it anyway --- Takoyaki. it is sort of a Japanese octopus fritter (but not deep fried). I liked the flavor. It is made in these cast iron pans with little ball shaped cups. You sometime seem them on late night infomercials sold as "pancake puff" pans. Maybe I will have to try a primal version just for entertainment value. (because I do have a pancake puff pan -- doesn't everyone?)

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast