Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unusual or uncommon foods you want to try page 2

Catalina is offline Member

Primal Fuel

Yep, it's the sauce that makes escargot worth it. Put that much butter and garlic on Anything, and it would be yummy--you should definitely try it, Roger.

I had alligator once (tastes just like chicken!). It was breaded and deep-fried, though. I wonder if you can buy the meat and prepare it yourself.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Catalina- You certainly can! My dad got me a gift pack of exotic meats last year for Christmas. It included antelope, alligator, kangaroo and ostrich. The alligator was fantastic and actually didn't taste at all like chicken. I cooked it up with peppers and onions in fajita spices. It also works well in a chowder.

Reptiles and amphibians seem to tend towards a fishy-sort of texture. Somewhat like shark. Kinda meaty.

RogerDeRok is offline Member

I can see that alligator would taste like chicken as turtle and frog is always compared to chicken.

Antelope is delicious! My favorite part of antelope is the ribs.

I also love ostrich meat, so good.

LabRat Guest

As a general rule of thumb, if gator really tastes like chicken then it's been mishandled and likely overdone- it doesn't taste like "chicken" so much as it tastes like processed chicken nuggets- delicate meat with most of its character killed. Well-prepared gator tastes like gator and nothing else and man I wish I could get my hands on it more easily.

Love, love, good escargot- this is what mussels get to be in their next life if they are virtuous little bivalves.

I've had rattler, and know some folks who claim to be able to make it tasty, but so far as I can tell the only way to make it palatable is to stick it in a chili where being very greasy and gamey is actually a virtue of sorts.

I adore elk and consider it the reason to bid for a chance to go freeze and exhaust myself every winter, but I really want to try moose- I hear it's even better.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Jedi, thanks for that info. Maybe I was misinformed, or maybe they are grown here like we grow our chickens. But it still comes back to grape leaves being very edible, ivy not so much.

Ecala is offline Junior Member

I've had crock pot squirrel!

(nah, nothing to rave about)

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

I had cuy in South America. Thats Guinea Pig, btw. Also had mealworms, crickets and lemon ants.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I've wanted to taste snake meat since I was little, but have never had the opportunity.

Would also like to try bison and ostrich (not as strange, I know, but I've never had them).

Aaaand... I would NOT recommend pig intestine. Tasted it in China and it's like eating part of a rubber hose.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I've also never had rabbit and would like to try it. I've heard it's delicious and very tender. But I don't want to see the cute little bunny beforehand. haha.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

LabRat Guest

Rabbit- tasty, yes, but usually not tender unless you slow-cook it or arrange some other slow braise method.

Ostrich I haven't yet tried, but bison is delicious- if it were less expensive I'd replace all the beef in my diet with bison.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast