Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This annoys me to no end page

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member

This annoys me to no end

Shop Now
    Health - Ellen Ruppel Shell - Eschewing Bananas Is Not the Cure to America's Health Woes - The Atlantic

OK... you know, low fat is probably a great correction for people who overeat fat and meat. BUT MOST PEOPLE OVEREAT GRAINS AND SUGAR. Lowfat does nothing if you are a sugar addict or a wheat addict. I was at a party last night and no one was touching the cheese, there was no meat, but overweight people were stuffing themselves with crackers, cookies and baked goods.

Meat is not why most people are fat. An over consumption of sugar and wheat is why.

Ugh, people need to be encouraged to find the way that works for them, not get a lecture on over consumption of meat. I stopped eating meat FOR YEARS. I have now lost over 30 lbs since restarting my meat consumption and ditching grains.

And I eat bananas. I just ate one!!!!!!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I think that the biggest problem is that people think that weat, corn, and sugar are "healthy" sources of carbs. We'd see a big improvement alone if people would stick to tubers like sweet potatoes, yams, carrots, ect. and moderate amounts of fruits.

And, people need to understand that they should moderate carbs based on activity level as well. That's another concept that slips by 95% of people these days. If you are sedentary, go VLC. If you do some good walking, go LC, if you walk and weight lift, go LC on walking days and moderate carbs on lifting days, if you are a serious endurance athlete, go moderate or high carbs depending on how much you've trained in a given day. Exact numbers, of course, will vary.

People seem to think that regardless of their activaty levels, they should be eating the same level of carbs daily. We here at MDA know it doesn't work that way. If you don't burn it, it becomes fat. So you adjust your intake to the appropriate level that you think you are burning.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    OK... you know, low fat is probably a great correction for people who overeat fat and meat. BUT MOST PEOPLE OVEREAT GRAINS AND SUGAR. Lowfat does nothing if you are a sugar addict or a wheat addict. I was at a party last night and no one was touching the cheese, there was no meat, but overweight people were stuffing themselves with crackers, cookies and baked goods.

Meat is not why most people are fat. An over consumption of sugar and wheat is why.

Ugh, people need to be encouraged to find the way that works for them, not get a lecture on over consumption of meat. I stopped eating meat FOR YEARS. I have now lost over 30 lbs since restarting my meat consumption and ditching grains.

And I eat bananas. I just ate one!!!!!!
    The healthiest people I see at parties eat most of the same things I do when I look at their little appetizer plates. Lots of veggies and fruit, some cheese but usually no crackers (or only a couple if they take them), some cold cuts, and none of the squares or cookies. It's funny that those people probably don't think of themselves as eating primal or anything like it, but I notice that my most trim friends are the ones who tend to eat less of the breads and baked goodies, even when they might think of themselves as loving those foods. Their portions of them seem to be so much smaller than most.

And yeah, most people aren't binge-eating meat or eggs. They're eating a whole bag of chips, or boxes of cookies, or whatever like that. Even when people binge on protein/fat foods, they're usually either highly sweetened as well or they're dairy-based like cheeses.

The headline in itself is right--bananas aren't the problem. I don't think we'd be in this fix if people were eating a lot of fruit.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    From the article:

For most people, strictly limiting one food group in their diet -- be it carbohydrates or fat -- also reduces the number of calories in that diet.
    Oh, Brother! She really doesn't understand, does she? It's a kindergarten-level misunderstanding of the problem. And you have to either not know about or close your eyes to much real-world data to maintain that. I don't know which it is in her case: she may be ill-informed but she also has a motive, if she begins to suspect she's been wrong, for hiding things from herself and not admitting to have been wrong all these years.

One's reminded of Marxist academics even as the Eastern Bloc was collapsing under the weight of its own absurd ideology. Just keep repeating the mantras and hope reality goes away. Meanwhile this is the reality:

Apparently, the commentators who were, by the sound of it, berating her for some earlier article are confused, too:

I stand corrected. A diet rich in lean meats, fish, veggies and berries sounds like a very sensible diet indeed.
    So the protein over-consumers were evidently out in force. Dukan Diet? Doesn't work long term: after awhile people can't stomach low-fat-low-carb -- because you can only eat so much lean meat -- and then they go on a carb-binge.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    I was watching a documentry last night on the food industry and how they made us fat with loads of sugar, a rough quote from one of scientists interviewed - we wanted to study obesisty in rats so we needed to make fat rats, we tried giving them fat and they didn't over eat or gain weight so I sent my pHD student to the store to buy the types of food people like to eat, they were all high in sugars, cookies etc, the rats ate and ate these and all quickly gained weight and fat.

I just wish there was some way to prove that eating sugar is makes you gain weight????
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BurdEmelry View Post
    I don't think we'd be in this fix if people were eating a lot of fruit
    Sugar is sugar. Fruit may be better than refined sugar, because of the water, nutrients, and fiber. But it still fucks with your insulin (unless you're an extreme athlete).

Roach is offline Senior Member
    Yeah that article is a pile. Oh well.

I wonder when Mark will abandon his "carbohydrate curve". I think it would be a good thing

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

stable31 is offline Member
    ^Maybe it's my sleep deprivation but that is hilarious.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    Sugar is sugar. Fruit may be better than refined sugar, because of the water, nutrients, and fiber. But it still fucks with your insulin (unless you're an extreme athlete).
    You're arguing with a spambot.

And I don't buy the idea that fruit is anywhere near as problematic as sugar--there are many groups of hunter-gatherers who eat very large amounts of fruit and honey, and they are in good health and not obese or diabetic. But that's the unending argument around here, so I'm not particularly interested in turning this thread into yet another round of it.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast