Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best carbs to compliment eggs?? page

f12
    f12 is offline Junior Member

Best carbs to compliment eggs??

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi all,

As a meal I usually have 2 whole eggs (scrambled) with 2 slices of wholewheat bread and a slice of low fat cheese.

I have just finished reading the Primal Blurprint and wan't to get rid of the bread but I have no idea what to replace it with?

For my meal later in the day I have sweet potatoes with meat, so I don't want to have those again (can't imagine it going well with eggs anyway).

Any suggestions for a nice meal with eggs and moderate amount of carbs?

I am training hard so I am not looking for a minimal carb diet, but I would rather they would be healthy and filling ones.

johnbu1981 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by f12 View Post
    Hi all,

As a meal I usually have 2 whole eggs (scrambled) with 2 slices of wholewheat bread and a slice of low fat cheese.

I have just finished reading the Primal Blurprint and wan't to get rid of the bread but I have no idea what to replace it with?

For my meal later in the day I have sweet potatoes with meat, so I don't want to have those again (can't imagine it going well with eggs anyway).

Any suggestions for a nice meal with eggs and moderate amount of carbs?

I am training hard so I am not looking for a minimal carb diet, but I would rather they would be healthy and filling ones.
    Berries

Eggs, bacon with a fresh fruit finish.

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    Eggs are good on a bed of spinach or chinese cabbage.
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

pdjesson is offline Senior Member
    If one's going to have fruit one may as well have plantain fried in palm-oil. Mmmm.
    All the best!

PDJ

The quieter you become the more you're able to hear.

Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

f12
    f12 is offline Junior Member
    Yeah I'll be eating banans and frozen berries mainly I think, will check those out too.

Is bacon okay to eat? Maybe I misread the book but I thought it was to be avoided? (or just assumed it was and over looked it)

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Crispy fried onions.
    I second the spinach. Any kind of dark greens, really.
    Grilled/sauteed mushrooms, onions, and peppers.
    Cubed zuccini, sauteed in some coconut oil, with lots of oregano.
    Fried cauliflower leftovers.
    Grilled tomato halves.

Bacon, yes! Try a bacon weave: 3 slices of bacon, cut in half, woven into a little square grid(Weave directly in your cold frying pan, it makes it easier.) Cook until more than half way done, then carefully flip, utilizing your largest spatula and all your wits. Continue cooking until crispy(chewy doneness just doesn't work as well for this.) Serve under your eggs for a charming presentation, and as a side note, use two for an awesome BLT!

SpaceCat is offline Junior Member
    I've been making a vegetable hash to replace toast. I'll brown some onions and a bit of garlic in coconut oil, add some yellow pepper, bits of zucchini, mushrooms, S&P and a bit of shredded sweet potato, and cook until done.

I like topping it with salsa verde or chunks of avocado.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    You could try sweet potatoes done in a home fries-esque style or yams for that matter.

My personal choice is actually tomatoes though. Most people don't think of them, but a good does contains a healthy amount of carbs (if not tuber-like levels), and I love it when I use fresh salsa on top of my omlette or fried eggs which adds a good ten or even more grams of carbs at the amount like to use from the hot peppers and tomatoes and onions, all of which are higher-sugar veggies.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Bacon is fine - but if you can sniff out uncured bacon, that's even better. I love Applegate Farms' Uncured Sunday Bacon. There's a smidge of cane syrup in there, but I happily count that as part of the 20%, because it's the best darn bacon I've had in a long time.

I typically have this for breakfast:

3 slices of bacon, chopped into bite-sized pieces, cooked in its own fat; once mostly cooked, I add chopped onion or scallion, chopped mushroom and chopped bell pepper; after about a minute or two, I add three beaten eggs (pasture-raised) with a dash of black pepper and dill weed, then I scramble everything up. Served with a mug of black coffee and a large glass of water to wash down my vitamins. Nom!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast