Thread: SPELT as a grain? good or bad? page

dany.gp@gmail.com is offline Junior Member

SPELT as a grain? good or bad?

Primal Fuel
    Hi there.

I am very interested in Marks and this communitiess opinion on Spelt and I've never really seen it specifically mentioned in any of Marks literature. There is a blanket opinion that Grains are bad, but as we know grains come in about 50 denominations.

Theoretically, in terms of food classification and food familiies, Spelt is a grain and to some degree a processed one at that, however it has long been considered a health food , a great source of protein, great for the Bowles or at least an excellent alternative to wholegrain or white bread.

For me personally this is a bit of a gray area. looking for informed opinions on it? misinformed conventional opinion or truth?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Spelt = gluten = bad.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    My body reacts to spelt the same as it does to wheat. It is a no for me.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Spelt belongs to the wheat family. It has no place in the Primal, no matter how you prepare it or how processed or not processed it is.

kbn1 is offline Senior Member
    Not all gluten is created equal. Spelt doesn't cause me as much trouble as modern wheat. Einkhorn didn't give me GI problems at all, but I have only had it a couple of times. I wouldn't make spelt a regular thing, but I think it is better than wheat.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    If it's sprouted or fermented, it's probably okay to have here and there. Sprouted non-gluten grains are much better choices, however.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by kbn1 View Post
    Not all gluten is created equal. Spelt doesn't cause me as much trouble as modern wheat. Einkhorn didn't give me GI problems at all, but I have only had it a couple of times. I wouldn't make spelt a regular thing, but I think it is better than wheat.
    As a celiac, people try to feed me spelt all the time because they think spelt gluten is somehow safer than wheat gluten. It isn't--either way, I will get really sick. There's a myth out there that spelt is okay for people with celiac or other gluten intolerance, and it simply isn't. People will even sometimes try to say that spelt baked goods are gluten free, and that's a dangerous misconception when it comes to feeding someone like me. Some people with wheat allergies can eat it without a reaction, but that has nothing to do with the gluten content.

If *you* react less to it, that's great for you. But please don't claim it is safe--it is a species of wheat. One with less gluten than the standard dwarf wheat, but still wheat.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal