Thread: Re-introduction...back to basics page

GabyYYZ is offline Junior Member

Re-introduction...back to basics

Primal Fuel
    Hi folks, so I've been lurking on and off here for a bit, a couple posts now and then, but have slipped up a few times diet and exercise-wise. Resetting starting tomorrow as I'm a big guy with a lot of weight to lose (70-80lbs), starting about 294, on a 5'11" frame at 39 years old. While I've been reading the success stories, especially from those folks who lost a lot of weight, any other tips on the mental side of things and keeping focus?

I know on paper what I have to eat (keep carbs below 100g, avoid grains/legumes as much as possible, eat protein/veggies/healthy fats) and how to exercise (2-3 weight sessions a week, 1-2 cardio sessions, 1 all-out interval session), but would love tips on how one can avoid getting distracted in practical terms.

I really have no excuses for not progressing, such as "I'm sticking to the plan, but not losing weight", and have resolved to not look for any going forward, and just hunker down and attack this thing.

Thanks very much.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Welcome back!

One thing that is critical for me to stay on track in to make sure I always have an abundance of primal foods around. If I let myself get really hungry and have no good food available, I'll eat whatever I can get my hands on.

One tip I got from nomnom paleo is to make a big batch of what she calls "emergency protein" and package it in to single serving and freeze it. I always keep some frozen veggies on hand as well. So if I am running late or was disorganized or lazy then I can always thaw the meat and heat some frozen veggies and have something to eat.

I also have a rule that I won't eat two non-primal meals in a row. So one bad meal is never a risk of turning in to a full spiral out of control.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Primal-JoJo is offline Senior Member
    Welcome back! What kind of distractions are you dealing with. Personally, I say, when in doubt, eat more bacon! Or steak. Or better yet, steak wrapped in bacon! When it comes to keeping on track with eating, I just think of all the primal foods I love and eat as much as them as I want to get over any non-primal foods I might feel like I'm "missing".

In terms of work outs - did you mean 1-2 strength training sessions...? 'cause that is more primal than cardio.

Anyways, details on your particular distractions would help.
    Primal: Because I like to have my steak, and eat it too

Current Primal Journal
    My Old Primal Journal - Surviving my summer away from home
    Food blog: Sex or Chocolate: I choose STEAK!

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Welcome back!

One thing that is critical for me to stay on track in to make sure I always have an abundance of primal foods around. If I let myself get really hungry and have no good food available, I'll eat whatever I can get my hands on.

One tip I got from nomnom paleo is to make a big batch of what she calls "emergency protein" and package it in to single serving and freeze it. I always keep some frozen veggies on hand as well. So if I am running late or was disorganized or lazy then I can always thaw the meat and heat some frozen veggies and have something to eat.

I also have a rule that I won't eat two non-primal meals in a row. So one bad meal is never a risk of turning in to a full spiral out of control.
    I strongly suspect the reason it was tough for me is because eating healthy means I have to cook and that's where I slipped up frequently, especially when eating out. A friend bought me a slow cooker so I'm definitely going to look into maximizing it's use.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal-JoJo View Post
    Welcome back! What kind of distractions are you dealing with. Personally, I say, when in doubt, eat more bacon! Or steak. Or better yet, steak wrapped in bacon! When it comes to keeping on track with eating, I just think of all the primal foods I love and eat as much as them as I want to get over any non-primal foods I might feel like I'm "missing".

In terms of work outs - did you mean 1-2 strength training sessions...? 'cause that is more primal than cardio.

Anyways, details on your particular distractions would help.
    For workouts, I'm going to do a minimum of 2 strength training sessions a week (in my case, I think mostly circuits to speed up fat loss) of about 20 minutes each, mixed with about 30 minutes of cardio, and a HIIT session as well. These would be the three minimum sessions I want to start out with, and the occasional walk around the neighborhood (up to two hours at a moderate pace). I had luck before with a trainer, but because my diet was crap, the poor guy could only get so far with me, so I know he was getting a bit frustrated at times.

myodesktask is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am looking for the reason why I am out of protein these days .What should I do this for the remedy of this?