Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am hungry all the time!!! page

I am hungry all the time!!!

Shop Now
    I am a 50 year old woman, about 10-15 pounds overweight, with a history of hypoglycemia. My husband and I started trying to eat paleo/Primal about a week ago. Actually, I just ordered PRIMAL BLUEPRINT yesterday, so I haven't read it yet.

Since starting on primal, I have been eating, eating, eating, then eating some more, and it seems like I am always hungry, and I'm always on the verge of a low blood sugar attack. I haven't touched grains, dairy or sugar for about 10 days. I am eating protein (chicken, beef and pork, lots of free range eggs), low glycemic veggies raw and cooked, a lot of nuts/nut butters and seeds, bananas, apples, dried apricots, a few cherries, an orange here and there........

I did feel satiated for about 3 hours yesterday, after drinking a whey protein shake and eating 2 scrambled eggs and 3 strips of bacon. That's the longest period of time I have been able to go between feedings. Bacon seems to help curb my hunger pretty well, but not completely.

Could this be carbohydrate withdrawal? I wasn't a big grain eater before, but I had recently gone on a wintergreen Lifesaver binge that lasted about 3 weeks.

Thanks to any and all for words of wisdom!

Johanna Anderson

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Give yourself time to get used to the diet and your body will adjust, believe me.

Don't expect it to happen overnight!

peril is offline Senior Member
    It is likely carb withdrawal. Fight it. Try to get through the day without snacking. Increase your good fat consumption until you have the cravings under control, then reduce to allow you to lose weight.

Remember, don't snack. Eat only meals
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohannaAnderson View Post
    Could this be carbohydrate withdrawal? I wasn't a big grain eater before, but I had recently gone on a wintergreen Lifesaver binge that lasted about 3 weeks.
    Johanna Anderson
    What were the major changes in your diet, were you a Sugar Junkie?
    As said it is likely a Carb withdrawal,
    We found in the first week for us there was some residual hunger and between meal cravings, we didn't fight it totally, just had a small snack of fruit & nuts to curb the craving and sometimes even a little bit of sweets, just to use up what was in the pantry, but gradually the cravings subsided, this was most likely the process of our bodies improving insulin & Leptin sensitivity.
    Over the last two months we have gradually transitioned to the 16/8 IF pattern and have no desire for breakfast and just do lunch and dinner and sometimes a snack between, recently we have also found our meals are getting smaller as well, suspect this is due to the gut cavities coming back to a more normal size & possibly also an improvement in gut nutrition efficiency. Currently both of us have found some irregularity of bowel movements, this may be the the lower intestine learning to cope with smaller meals, still watching the progress, we keep a balance of around 2:1 ratio plant:animal foods intake.

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    It is likely carb withdrawal. Fight it. Try to get through the day without snacking. Increase your good fat consumption until you have the cravings under control, then reduce to allow you to lose weight.

Remember, don't snack. Eat only meals
    Yeah, this doesn't work for me and there are probably many more this also does not work for. As long as you snack on the right things I don't see a problem. If I am hungry I am not going to sit there and grit my teeth just so I can dive into the biscuit jar when I finally break. Personally i'd rather munch on a handful of left over roast beef prior to the biscuit jar scenario. Some people just need to eat more freqently than others. A couple of big meals and IF do not work for me at all and have ended many a good intention following primal/paleo............ I can eat a MASSIVE meal and I will still always be hungry 3 hours later so meal composition/serving size really is irrelevant in my case. I eat every 3 hours but 'snacks' are only protein such as eggs, meat etc and meals are a mix of protein/carbs for breakfast, protein/salad or veg and fats for lunch and dinner. I have finally found someting that works for me. No one combination of things works for every human being. A general starting point is always a good thing, but tweaks will need to be made for individual success. I hope you can also find what works for you through trial and error. It is difficult, but worth it
    Last edited by TARNIP; 06-23-2012 at 10:29 PM.

thanks, Tarnip

[QUOTE=TARNIP;878730]Yeah, this doesn't work for me and there are probably many more this also does not work for. As long as you snack on the right things I don't see a problem.

Thank you for the encouragement. I think my physiology must be somewhat similar to yours. In my wildest dreams, I can't imagine being able to go 12 hours without food. I would be a quivering mass of emotional wreckage. I am, of course, willing to entertain the possibility that this way of eating could reset my entire system so that I am able to be ketonic.

Have you lost any weight eating this way, or was this ever your intention?

My hunch is that I need to eat plenty of good fats all day long, like the other person suggested, until my body adjusts to this lifestyle. Yesterday, I actually ate 2 tablespoons of coconut oil when I was starting to get hungry between meals to see if it would curb my appetite, and it worked! As long as the good fats aren't going to make me fatter, I'm all for it.

We'll see what happens today.

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    Your very welcome :-)
    I have only just begun to start losing weight (I need to lose around 60 pounds). I had been following the mainstream Primal ideals (such as 2-3 large meals, no snacking, higher fat, some intermittent fasting here and there) and I was getting fatter so I have had to tweak it a bit to get to a point where I am now finally losing! The only 12 hours I can and will ever go without food will be whilst I am sleeping! It just would not ever happen if I was awake and conscious! LOL!
    Unfortunately the extra fats didn't cut it for me, once I started eating them I craved them and found I could not stop. Fats provide pretty much nil satiety for me :-( I have had more success with increasing protein levels (the only macronutrient that will fill me up on quite small amounts and cut cravings to nil). Overeating on fats may be great for a healthy individual but I have lots of weight to lose and am not comfortable with the idea of cramming down fat and gaining another 20 odd pounds on the off chance that maybe one day my body will get used to it.
    Unfortunately there may be a bit of trial and error involved as we are all very different and you will find you may also have to tweak things here and there to make the overall structure of this lifestyle work for you. As long as you are eating the approved foods in ratios that agree with you in relation to carbs/proteins and fats you should find success. Wishing you the best of luck on your journey :-)

Wrenwood is offline Senior Member
    Johanna, I was going to suggest between-meal fats to help with the hungries but you already figured that out on your own. One tablespoon each coconut oil + coconut manna + a tiny bit of fruit (around a teaspoon) is my favorite new snack. Unfortunately fruit on its own doesn't work for me as a snack, I have to eat it with some fat or I just end up hungry again.

BTW I have always had the same physical reaction to not eating, all the way up to fainting if I go too long. I've been primal about 5 weeks, have lost 11 lbs, and am still refining what to eat, how to cook it, etc. But I eliminated grains and sugar with amazing ease thanks to eating more fat.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57034.html

"...since our orthodox theories have not saved us we may have to readjust them to bring them into harmony with Nature's laws. Nature must be obeyed, not orthodoxy." Weston A. Price

peril is offline Senior Member
    Another thing to consider is your protein consumption. Nothing satiates more than protein. Many women, especially those used to dieting, don't eat enough to be satisfied. Requirement depends on lean body mass and activity
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Quote Originally Posted by Wrenwood View Post
    Johanna, I was going to suggest between-meal fats to help with the hungries but you already figured that out on your own. One tablespoon each coconut oil + coconut manna + a tiny bit of fruit (around a teaspoon) is my favorite new snack. Unfortunately fruit on its own doesn't work for me as a snack, I have to eat it with some fat or I just end up hungry again.

BTW I have always had the same physical reaction to not eating, all the way up to fainting if I go too long. I've been primal about 5 weeks, have lost 11 lbs, and am still refining what to eat, how to cook it, etc. But I eliminated grains and sugar with amazing ease thanks to eating more fat.
    What is coconut manna?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast