Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conversation With the Dr Today page

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member

Conversation With the Dr Today

Shop Now
    I am sure I have a bladder infection, so I head to the clinic and here is the conversation I have with the doctor.

Dr: comes in and looks at me: “Did you eat breakfast today?”

Me: “yes” (the truth is I didn't eat until noon, but it is Saturday)

Dr: “Are you lying to me?”

Me: “No” (a little indignantly)

Dr: “your urine is full of ketones”

Me: I look at her like I have no idea what she is talking about (I am thinking “of course it is, I am limiting the amount of carbohydrates I am eating so that I can lose weight,” but I don't say that)

Dr: “usually when we see that much ketone it means you are starving” (obviously she is not looking at me when she says that) “or you're diabetic, and there is absolutely no sugar in your sample. When did you eat?”

Me: “a least an hour ago, maybe more”

Dr: “What did you have?”

Me: “a sort of frittata thing with spinach, arugula, a bit of ham and some cheese melted on top”

Dr: “okay” (not sounding convinced) “well, you do have an infection...” and she carries on with that...and then mentions it again how I'm obviously not a diabetic, but there are ketones there...

too funny
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Ketone police much? lol!!!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Wow, I don't know what to say. Are you too skinny?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    That is awesome!
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Good grief - that is one militant doc. I had ketones in my urine for about 3 months (had kidney stones so they were checking a lot). No one ever said a word about it!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Susceptibility to infections is correlated with high ketone levels. They are especially associated with UTIs.

Sounds like your doc knows her shit and was just looking out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Wow, I don't know what to say. Are you too skinny?
    Not at 165 lbs and 5'9". I can wrap my hands around a couple of good love handles yet.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    Susceptibility to infections is correlated with high ketone levels. They are especially associated with UTIs.

I think that is only the case when ketones are correlated with high sugar in the urine.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post

I have always been susceptible to uti. Had many, many, many over the years. I have been peeing ketones (when I check) since the end of January and not had an infection until now. The thing is she didn't say anything to me about a correlation between the two. I'm also not upset with her, most doctors, as you say, are just looking out for your best. I thought it was funny how she acted like she couldn't understand the reason for the presence of the ketones without sugar.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Try getting some D-mannose.
    http://www.amazon.com/Solaray-D-Mann...ords=d-mannose

I'm on a med that causes kidney/urine problems... plus I've always been susceptible to UTIs.

I don't want to have to take antibiotics frequently like is common on this med (because A. who does, and B. I'm at least mildly reactive to most of them and the more I take them the less will be available for a possible REAL need someday)... so I work hard to keep the urinary tract and kidneys as clean as possible.

The D-mannose, I think the one I take also has some cranberry in it, put the stop to a UTI that was developing when I started it. Since then I take one gel cap morning and night with my regular meds and other supplements to fight off med side effects.
    The occasion when I felt the UTI coming on... I took more than the "daily recommended". 4 at lunch then 2 more at bed, then for two days after I took 2 both morning and night to make sure it was cleared out. The first day I had also taken some Cystex for the pain/urgency until I could get to the HFS and get the D-mannose in me.
    I've been taking this med since Christmas and haven't had a single UTI... I should have had several by now. Even my doctor is pretty amazed that my kidneys etc are behaving so well with the dosage I'm on.
    Though I don't doubt that not eating the common SAD foods... sugars, sodas, processed foods and such that also help contribute to UTIs has helped as well.
    Last edited by cori93437; 06-23-2012 at 11:49 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast