Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: effects of exercise on anxiety? page

PookDo is offline Senior Member

effects of exercise on anxiety?

Primal Fuel
    I suffer from bad anxiety and sometimes out of nowhere I will get anxiety attacks and I'm wondering what type of exercise will help with that. I know some of my anxiety is born out of excess nervous energy

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    I definitely have above average anxiety. And have experienced attacks.

Exercise is the biggest helper I've found so far. When I do sprints and other high intensity exercises early in the day, for the rest of the day I'm much calmer than usual. Not tired, but just relaxed and less anxious. In the long run it definitely makes me less anxious. On the flip side, when I'm sitting at the computer for several hours my anxiety grows.

Bodies like to be in motion. If you have anxiety (excess energy, awareness) use it! Or else it just grows and the excess long-term cortisol and stress hurts your adrenals. Short, high intensity exercise does it for me.

mamakate is offline Junior Member

magnesium?

Quote Originally Posted by PookDo View Post
    I suffer from bad anxiety and sometimes out of nowhere I will get anxiety attacks and I'm wondering what type of exercise will help with that. I know some of my anxiety is born out of excess nervous energy
    This isn't exercise but have you tried taking some magnesium? I've been prone to anxiety myself and I find that when I take magnesium citrate 300-400mg, I feel a noticeable difference in my anxiety levels. Magnesium helps promote relaxation.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    I definitely have above average anxiety. And have experienced attacks.

Exercise is the biggest helper I've found so far. When I do sprints and other high intensity exercises early in the day, for the rest of the day I'm much calmer than usual. Not tired, but just relaxed and less anxious. In the long run it definitely makes me less anxious. On the flip side, when I'm sitting at the computer for several hours my anxiety grows.

Bodies like to be in motion. If you have anxiety (excess energy, awareness) use it! Or else it just grows and the excess long-term cortisol and stress hurts your adrenals. Short, high intensity exercise does it for me.
    Unfortunately, I work out at night but I usually get one lifting session in on Saturday. It definitely reduces my anxiety.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Beefy is offline Member
    I would also recommend supplementing magnesium. Can help greatly with anxiety, especially since almost no one gets enough magnesium in their diet.

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    As someone who suffers from anxiety, which has been GREATLY reduce through primal living, my suggestions (not all fitness based), would be to cut all caffeine, cut added sugars, eat to keep blood sugar levels stable and actually until you do those things to the point you feel better, I would back off of max effort training. When that other stuff was off for me, training made my anxiety worse bc my body was already pumping adrenaline from the anxiety and the exercise just caused more to be released. It is not that way anymore. Just my suggestion, may not work for everyone.

Chrystal is offline Junior Member
    I remember reading research a couple of years ago that said that exercise was great at preventing anxiety but not so hot on 'curing' anxiety.

angelinamanger is offline Junior Member
    First of all try to keep yourself calm and out of stress, don't get panic of anything. Do some meditation and yoga in early morning. Yoga will keep your mind peaceful.

amberlee is offline Senior Member
    Yoga. Concenrating on poses and breathing would help.

What about fun team sports? Nothing makes me smile and laugh more than a friendly competitive game of something. Laughing and team spirit has to help on some level.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I'm the wiggles! I don't sit still. I can't sit still, and if I have to, I feel the tension within minutes! Sprinting +1, heavy lifting +1, and bang out push-ups and chin-ups at will. For times when I HAVE to sit still, I try to breathe in for four heartbeats and out for four heartbeats. Easy to do since I always feel my heart beating throughout my entire body. My brain does not filter it out! I'm always aware of it!!! But, yeah, poses, slowed breathing and letting things go instead of stewing on what needs to be done all help a ton.

Oddly, the internet is so addictive I can sometimes sit for half an hour at a stretch!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast