Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardio concept page

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member

Cardio concept

Primal Fuel
    Taken from an article. He Isnt a I instructor or anyone with credentials. Just a thinker

“Cardio”
    To continue on in the spirit of the lengthy title and chronological order, let’s briefly discuss “cardio”- which strangely enough has it’s own Wikipedia page.
    “Cardio” is first and foremost, a slang term. It is not actually a word, no matter how much those with financial incentives want everyone to believe.
    For the most part, it is a concept based on archaic- and usually romantic- misconceptions about exercise and how the body functions.
    The cardiovascular system- which it undoubtedly refers to- will always be best trained through muscular contractions- preferably of a meaningful intensity- not any one random physical activity (running, elliptical machines, swimming, and so on).
    Low level, steady state, aerobic activity does little besides increase hunger (to a degree that can easily produce negative results in terms of body composition/fat), as recently discussed in Time Magazine.
    Of course, this has been known for decades by informed individuals- but mainstream thinking often takes many years to catch on.
    As for the notion that you can literally take your heart and lungs out, plop them on a treadmill, and train them separate from your muscles- it is entirely and 100% false. This is perhaps the silliest notion of all when it comes to misconceptions about exercise.
    The heart and lungs will always fall in line behind improvements in skeletal muscle- meaning “cardio” benefits are secondary to muscular hypertrophy.
    Specific skill training can result in specific cardiovascular adaptations- none of which are required for vibrant and optimal health- but those adaptations can disappear as quickly as they appear.
    A better, more accurate way to look at “cardio” is a concept called “metabolic conditioning”, which you can read more about here.
    I want to move on, but will mention that “cardio” can cause a significant decrease in lean tissue- and therefore slow your metabolism in severe cases- myself included at one point in time.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    This is very good info here and 100% true. It takes a stronger more efficient cardio system to intensely contract ones muscles than it does to walk or jog. But somehow almost everybody thinks that walking or jogging type activities are superior in stimulating the cardiovascular system. As is stated above, specific training will produce certain results which are not remotely required for good vibrant health. In other words one could make the argument that if intense weight training was better for the cardio system then why if I try to go out and run a mile or two is it so hard? All that means is you aren't good or used to running and will very quickly adapt by simply running and yes your ability to run farther more easily will improve but this is not indicative of a better cardiovascular system and does not equate to better health.

All this said, if one enjoys running, walking, swimming, cycling etc. then by all means do them. The point is that the REAL cardio conditioning comes from a properly performed intense weight training program.

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Exactly. If you can run better, it doesn'tean you have better cardio, it means your better at running. If you can dunk a basketball better, it doesn't mean your Bette at basketball, it means your better at one aspect of basketball. With that said, how does one measure "cardio"? Blood pressure? Heart rate?

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    VO2 Max is how you measure "cardio." And weight training is not doing diddly (relatively) to improve your cardiovascular efficiency or capacity.

Got the the right information, wrong conclusions.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

jetta86s is offline Junior Member
    Good point Kingo! For me, it’s not that important to measure your cadio rate accurately. Honestly, I don’t look at my cardio rate meter. I simply get a good feel of my workout and when things get easy, I simply move on to the next level.
    Wander, can you tell me what V02 Max is? Weight training is to help you reduce weight and cardio training is to improve your cardiovascular system. There’s nothing to be confused about it, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    VO2 Max is how you measure "cardio." And weight training is not doing diddly (relatively) to improve your cardiovascular efficiency or capacity.

Got the the right information, wrong conclusions.
    So following your logic, jogging would better stimulate the cardio system than an all-out set of heavy dead lifts done to momentary muscular failure? That is ridiculous! The greater the muscle contraction, the more the heart is getting worked. This is not to say that there is no benefit to any steady state activities. But there is no way that less muscle involvement i.e. contraction results in a better cardio workout. If you follow that logic than walking slowly would be the best cardio workout. This is why sprinting or HIIT has been shown to be a superior cardio workout in comparison to longer duration/steady state training. The HIIT involves far greater muscle involvement/contraction, thus its more productive.

Quote Originally Posted by jetta86s View Post
    Good point Kingo! For me, it’s not that important to measure your cadio rate accurately. Honestly, I don’t look at my cardio rate meter. I simply get a good feel of my workout and when things get easy, I simply move on to the next level.
    Wander, can you tell me what V02 Max is? Weight training is to help you reduce weight and cardio training is to improve your cardiovascular system. There’s nothing to be confused about it, right?
    The whole point of this thread is that the above assertion is false. That the term "cardio" was invented by the fitness industry. What is known as cardio is actually aerobic exercise as opposed to anaerobic exercise. Intense heavy weight training and high intensity interval training are far superior in building cardio fitness. Steady state work is better at building endurance as would be needed for specific sports. Guys who run marathons have great cardio endurance and VO2 MAX. They also die from sudden cardiac arrest at a higher incidence than the average person.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    So following your logic, jogging would better stimulate the cardio system than an all-out set of heavy dead lifts done to momentary muscular failure? That is ridiculous! The greater the muscle contraction, the more the heart is getting worked. This is not to say that there is no benefit to any steady state activities. But there is no way that less muscle involvement i.e. contraction results in a better cardio workout. If you follow that logic than walking slowly would be the best cardio workout. This is why sprinting or HIIT has been shown to be a superior cardio workout in comparison to longer duration/steady state training. The HIIT involves far greater muscle involvement/contraction, thus its more productive.
    I never said jogging was the way to go, you're putting words in my mouth (well post in this case). I am saying that high intensity sprinting/swimming whatever does increase your cardiovascular efficiency.

When you lift something heavy it's primarily anaerobic, you can do a whole set of deadlifts without even taking a breath. Yes it's very good for you, but it's not doing a whole lot to improve your cardiovascular efficiency.
    Last edited by Wanderlust; 06-25-2012 at 05:22 AM.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

All that article comes down to is: do shit fast and hard.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    I never said jogging was the way to go, you're putting words in my mouth (well post in this case). I am saying that high intensity sprinting/swimming whatever does increase your cardiovascular efficiency.

When you lift something heavy it's primarily anaerobic, you can do a whole set of deadlifts without even taking a breath. Yes it's very good for you, but it's not doing a whole lot to improve your cardiovascular efficiency.
    Wasn't trying to put words in your mouth or anything. You are correct that high intensity type training is best. As to the dead lifts, but I've never done a set of them without breathing! I feel like I climbed a mountain with a refrigerator strapped to my back after a set. There is a profound metabolic/cardio effect after such an effort. This is where we disagree. Its fun to debate such things though!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast