Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weight Training and weight gain page

Rich Capalbo is offline Member

weight Training and weight gain

Shop Now
    I’ll try to keep background for a simple question as brief as possible.

I’m 64 years old, 6’1”, 214 pounds (today).

Two years ago I was approaching 270 Pounds. My doctor talked me into trying the HCG diet.

I’d been resisting him since I have 40 years experience of yo-yo dieting between 220 and 260 pounds, depending on my tolerance of starvation. Of course, they were all conventional wisdom -- low fat, high carb -- diets.

HCG Worked. Three 21-day courses between June 2010 and January 2012 got me down to 208 pounds.

During that time I started researching how I would make changes in life style and diet. I eased into Paleo. (Advocated by my Doc, by the way.) I’ve been very strict since the end of the last HCG round in mid-February this year.

I have also been working out following 4 Hour Body, MDA and related principles. I took all last year to get in shape to be able to lift free weight, heavy as I can, dead lift, squats, bench and row.

I have a lifetime dieter’s anxiety over the fact that I cannot keep my HCG end weight of 208 pounds. I’m IF-ing 2-3 days a week and have gained about a pound a month since February. Is this just the effects of weight training? I still have at least 15% body fat.
    Last edited by Rich Capalbo; 06-24-2012 at 06:31 AM.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    You might be gaining muscle. You should be able to tell, though, just by looking. For every pound of muscle you put on it the same as adding a 16oz steak to your body
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Yes, I'm assuming it's muscle gain but the dieter's anxiety still exists. By the way, i feel great--better than most of my 40's.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    15% body fat is pretty good for your age. With that increase in your weight, do your clothes fit any differently? Can you track inches rather than weight?

No visible or tape measure changes with the 3-5 pounds gain. I'm mostly inexperienced with the effects of heavy weight training and how it manifests itself in a 64 year old.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    That is a lot of lean muscle you added at your age which is very hard to do. How was your bf% measured?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

My doctor has a BIA machine. Last 3 readings were all over the place. I recently bought calipers to self check. I don't trust them for accurate % but at least they will give me a baseline.

BIA:
    May, 2010 35.8%
    May, 2011 25%
    Feb, 2012 22.5% Start full free weight workout (I've been working out regularly, playing racquetball and bicycling for over 20 years but doing a pretty ineffective weight routine)

Mar, 2012 18%
    Apr, 2012 20.4%
    May, 2012 24% (The March, April, May numbers are the ones I don't trust--the March and May % were done by one operator. the April % is another operator who said her colleague doesn't know how to do BIA)

Calipers (self)
    May, 2012 16.25%

Hard to do calipers on self have you done the photo test? Simple tape measure what is your waist?
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

waist 38

Prob not 16% then...prob closer to the 20+ but still good
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast