Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Think My Wife Is Trying To Kill Me! page

XGrains is offline Member

Cool I Think My Wife Is Trying To Kill Me!

Primal Fuel
    Ever since I went Paleo, I've had numerous discussions with my wife regarding how a Paleo diet keeps a person healthy by regulating their blood sugar. We've talked about how fats and protein tend to keep blood sugar in check, while carbs tend to raise blood sugar. She knows I'm addicted to fruit, however, since these Paleo discussions she's been buying tons of fruit. Currently we have on hand, apples, bananas, kiwi, watermelon, cantaloupe, mango, cherries, grapes, peaches, plums, nectarines, pears, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, lemons, limes, and prunes.

Since fruit is so good this time of year, and because of my addiction, I'm having an especially difficult time limiting my consumption. Compounding the problem is that my wife never buys two or three of anything, but a dozen bananas, 8 apples, 7 peaches, 6 nectarines, 5 mangos, 4 kiwi, 3 cartons of strawberries, 2 bags of grapes, and a pear tree. I bet I'm eating fruit 10 times a day. Every time I go near the kitchen the fruit calls out to me. My blood sugar has to be through the roof.

What makes me suspicious is that I recently bought a large insurance policy. Also, my wife eats very little fruit, mostly protein, and some good fats. She doesn't work and is very high maintenance; nails every week; pedicures every other; hair, cut and color once a month. One gray hair and it's off to the beauty shop. And how many pairs of black shoes can one woman buy? I won't even mention purses. (All black to go with the shoes.)

My question is this: how can I keep from consuming so much fruit? Do you think my wife is trying to kill me? Should I get rid of her before I go into a diabetic coma, or should I be mad at her for not having any oranges in the house?
    Last edited by XGrains; 06-23-2012 at 02:35 PM.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Heh - I was just going to ask how much life insurance you had!

My now-ex husband once got a million dollar policy on himself. During one particularly obnoxious moment of his, I asked how it felt to be worth more dead than alive. Made him think twice for awhile...
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Good for her, I wish her much luck!

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Not sure if your wife is actually trying to kill you....I think that's up for you to decide, lol!!

I will say that I think sometimes the spouse will have a subconscious reaction when the other decides to make this kind of change. My husband did the same thing to me when I first went Primal. My weakness is sweets, I will gorge myself on sweets if they are in the house, and I keep going back for more and more until it's gone. Suffice it to say, that first week going Primal was fucking horrible. It was really hard, the cravings were REALLY BAD, I had horrible carb flu and I told him what a hard time I was having. So what does he do? He buys all kinds of yummy things, stuff to make ice cream sundaes, he bought chocolate chips to make homemade cookies, knowing that cookie dough is my kryptonite.....and he had not one time EVER made homemade cookies before. Never. So he makes the cookies, and I had to resist and it was hard but I got through it. I got to watch him make himself giant bowls of ice cream with two or three cookies in it and devour it right in front of me, every night that week (and this is someone who will have dessert maybe once a week, if that). At the end of my first week, HE MADE ANOTHER FUCKING BATCH OF HOMEMADE COOKIES!!!!!! I was so mad at him. I just couldn't believe it.

I finally had to say something. I had a talk with him, I told him how hurt I was and that I felt like he was not only not being supportive, but that I felt like he was trying to sabotage my efforts (now, I don't think that was his intention, but I think subconsciously he wasn't liking the change, so maybe it was some kind of rebellion). I don't think he realized how upset I was until I told him, and he said he wanted to support me and that he was sorry, he didn't even realize what he was doing until I pointed it out to him.

So anyway, maybe your wife is doing something similar? I really hope you don't honestly think that she is trying to kill you. If you do feel that way, you have much bigger problems on your hands than eating ten pieces of fruit per day, lol!!

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    My wife is buying a lot of fruit but I think she's doing if because she thinks paleo equals a lot of fruit. I've Sked her to simply read PB or Paleo Solution but she won't do it. She just kind of goes by what I talk about.

What I know she is doing, thou, is buying regular eggs when the Omega 3s are about gone. Same with the organic spring mix I buy. Right now we have two types of eggs and two boxes of salad. She being tight with money. I spending $2 extra per week on eggs. Big deal.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

XGrains is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    Not sure if your wife is actually trying to kill you....I think that's up for you to decide, lol!!

I will say that I think sometimes the spouse will have a subconscious reaction when the other decides to make this kind of change. My husband did the same thing to me when I first went Primal. My weakness is sweets, I will gorge myself on sweets if they are in the house, and I keep going back for more and more until it's gone. Suffice it to say, that first week going Primal was fucking horrible. It was really hard, the cravings were REALLY BAD, I had horrible carb flu and I told him what a hard time I was having. So what does he do? He buys all kinds of yummy things, stuff to make ice cream sundaes, he bought chocolate chips to make homemade cookies, knowing that cookie dough is my kryptonite.....and he had not one time EVER made homemade cookies before. Never. So he makes the cookies, and I had to resist and it was hard but I got through it. I got to watch him make himself giant bowls of ice cream with two or three cookies in it and devour it right in front of me, every night that week (and this is someone who will have dessert maybe once a week, if that). At the end of my first week, HE MADE ANOTHER FUCKING BATCH OF HOMEMADE COOKIES!!!!!! I was so mad at him. I just couldn't believe it.

I finally had to say something. I had a talk with him, I told him how hurt I was and that I felt like he was not only not being supportive, but that I felt like he was trying to sabotage my efforts (now, I don't think that was his intention, but I think subconsciously he wasn't liking the change, so maybe it was some kind of rebellion). I don't think he realized how upset I was until I told him, and he said he wanted to support me and that he was sorry, he didn't even realize what he was doing until I pointed it out to him.

So anyway, maybe your wife is doing something similar? I really hope you don't honestly think that she is trying to kill you. If you do feel that way, you have much bigger problems on your hands than eating ten pieces of fruit per day, lol!!
    You should have just gone out and bought some shoes....and a purse to match. And every time he did this to you....another pair of shoes...and a purse to match. I think in short time he would get the message.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XGrains View Post
    You should have just gone out and bought some shoes....and a purse to match. And every time he did this to you....another pair of shoes...and a purse to match. I think in short time he would get the message.
    lol!!! I probably would have done that if we didn't have so many responsibilities....and by that I mean five kids.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Maybe she's buying lots of fruit because you eat it so much and she thinks you really like it and want it. She might not think of fruit as carbs--many people don't. Why not just ask her to buy less fruit?
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    She might not think of fruit as carbs--many people don't.
    Yes when I first started my journey, I just thought I should eat lots of fruit. I didnt know anything about carbs.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Here's a wild idea: talk to her about it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast