Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb tracking suggestions? page

TillyMonstar is offline Member

Carb tracking suggestions?

Shop Now
    I hate calorie counting UGH. But I think I'll never be able to stay in the 50-100 carb range and I really want to lose some poundage. I am an ex-Weight Watcher so it's all about tracking for me, and that's always worked for me in general, as I have to be held accountable for what I eat/drink. So I think I'll track for a couple weeks hardcore, and see what happens.

Here's my counts:

50-100g carbs a day
    81g protein a day (Lean mass is 116#)

Do I need to track fat as well? I really don't want to! Anyone use a tracker they would like to suggest? MyFitnessPal is the best thing out there but you can't set it to *just* count carbs/protein. Using now in the interim.

Thanks peeps!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I like LiveStrong.com. Just don't read the articles because they're a bunch of CW tripe. They have a really great iPhone app and a pretty big database, so it makes tracking a lot easier.

I would track carbs, protein and fat. There's no reason to ignore it when the info is there already. What I usually go by is the percentage of fat, protein and carbs. I shoot for low(ish) carbs, moderate protein and higher fat.

In the end, calories DO seem to matter somewhat, but eating this way tends to make it easier to take in a reasonable amount, along with the bigger benefit of making your body healthier in general.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    You don't need to track anything.

Eat mostly meat, eggs, fat and colorful raw & cooked veggies. Let these be the center of your food universe, and prepare them in ways that are tasty and satisfying.

Enjoy a little bit of nuts, fruit and full-fat dairy (if you tolerate it).

Limit starchy veggies if you feel the need (sweet potatoes, potatoes, root veggies) but don't rule them out completely because they are nutritious.

Eliminate grains, corn, soy and seed oils in every form, including processed/prepared foods made from them.

Primal is not a diet. Stop thinking of it like a diet. Focus on what you CAN enjoy, and enjoy lots of it!! Get used to this way of eating before you start tweaking and tracking.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Sort of.

Some people find they do need to track, at least in the beginning, because they don't really have a good idea anymore of what an appropriate sized serving of food is. Tracking for a short time can help some realize exactly how much they're eating, what they're really eating and how that affects their health.

I don't think it's appropriate for the long term, though. I would think a few weeks or so would get everything dialed in, and may be of some help when things sometimes don't seem to be going well.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

TillyMonstar is offline Member
    I agree Sandra, and this is a lifestyle change for me, for sure. But I am also trying to loose weight. I am 5'5" and 220lbs. It's a lot on my body as I have a small frame. I lost 75lbs with Weight Watchers and this was a lifestyle change for me as well, probably not the right one, however. It's my #1 priority right now.

You don't see a benefit in tracking to keep accountability? The back story is I've been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Looking into ways to treat it naturally, or with diet, I came upon an anti-inflammatory diet, which essentially is close to paleo. I like primal better however, because it aligns with how I want to live my life.

I've been eating this way more or less now for 2 months and have seen some visible differences but nothing much, I weigh the same and have the same body measurements. I worry that I am going overboard on fruit or nuts. Or maybe not eating enough veg. But how would I ever know if I am not tracking/journaling? I feel like there needs to be some tweaks here and there to get things in the "sweet spot" of weight loss, as Mark suggests.

I'll look into LiveStrong. Thanks Rita!

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TillyMonstar View Post
    I agree Sandra, and this is a lifestyle change for me, for sure. But I am also trying to loose weight. I am 5'5" and 220lbs. It's a lot on my body as I have a small frame. I lost 75lbs with Weight Watchers and this was a lifestyle change for me as well, probably not the right one, however. It's my #1 priority right now.
    As long as you're not neglecting overall health for the sake of the scale. Primal is NOT a diet. Its a lifestyle that promotes optimal health -- weight loss being one of the benefits of optimal health. If you're only looking at primal from a weight loss perspective, and not seeing the other benefits, you'll just think "its not working".

You don't see a benefit in tracking to keep accountability?
    Not really. My experience has been that as long as I put priority on a) the quality of food I'm eating, and b) listening to my body's hunger cues, I am gradually losing the fat. When I am less diligent, I feel the negative results and it prompts me to get back on track. Then again, fat loss is not the #1 priority consuming my life right now. (I have 3 seasons of Mad Men to catch up on!!)

I have done WW in the past, and lost lots of weight doing it, but it is all-consuming. The tracking and counting is such a drag. I found the program was more about ways to feel like you're cheating and still winning, than it was about an overall healthy lifestyle. When I found PB I weighed more than I ever did the 2x I went to WW. So no, I don't think tracking is the solution for me.

The back story is I've been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Looking into ways to treat it naturally, or with diet, I came upon an anti-inflammatory diet, which essentially is close to paleo. I like primal better however, because it aligns with how I want to live my life.
    If you have a broken system, you need to eat for health first, weight loss second. If your only focus is weight loss, you may be omitting nutrients that your body needs in order to heal.

I've been eating this way more or less now for 2 months and have seen some visible differences but nothing much, I weigh the same and have the same body measurements.
    It took me at least 6 weeks to see a visible change. Even at that, it has still been very gradual. I figure the weight didn't go on overnight and its not going to come off instantly either. I DONT WEIGH MYSELF. Just like tracking, I don't think the scale is a good indicator of progress. What I learned in my WW days was that the scale movement I was expecting at weigh-in never showed up until the following week.

I worry that I am going overboard on fruit or nuts. Or maybe not eating enough veg. But how would I ever know if I am not tracking/journaling? I feel like there needs to be some tweaks here and there to get things in the "sweet spot" of weight loss, as Mark suggests.
    Maybe you are, maybe you're not. Listen to your body. If you're going to keep a journal, log everything you eat and how your body responds. Look for what makes you feel good, and what doesn't. Its about more than macros.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    If you must track, then cronometer.com is your friend.

Spooky_Rach is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TillyMonstar View Post
    I hate calorie counting UGH. But I think I'll never be able to stay in the 50-100 carb range and I really want to lose some poundage. I am an ex-Weight Watcher so it's all about tracking for me, and that's always worked for me in general, as I have to be held accountable for what I eat/drink. So I think I'll track for a couple weeks hardcore, and see what happens.

Here's my counts:

50-100g carbs a day
    81g protein a day (Lean mass is 116#)

Do I need to track fat as well? I really don't want to! Anyone use a tracker they would like to suggest? MyFitnessPal is the best thing out there but you can't set it to *just* count carbs/protein. Using now in the interim.

Thanks peeps!
    You can get MyFitnessPal to track/count just carbs and protein -go to the Food tab, hit the settings button in the section under the tab and then click on the drop down arrow where fat is listed in the Nutrients Tracked section and choose none as the option for that box. Click the save changes button at the bottom of the page. Your food tab should now just be tracking carbs and protein in things .

katemary is offline Senior Member
    My tip - see what works for people in your country. Who would have thought foods are that different but there some apps people love in the US don't even list some foods I eat regularly. If you are in the US, that won't be a problem

Paleobird Guest
    I really think the to track or not to track question is a personal choice, not a matter of Primal doctrine.

If tracking works for you then, by all means, track. It worked for me and now I don't have to track anymore.

My favorite of all the tracking programs out there is SparkPeople.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast