Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Going Pillow-less, anyone have any success? page 3

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I slept without a pillow for many years, until I got pregnant and had to switch from sleeping on my stomach to sleeping on my side. I've slept on my side ever since, with a fairly firm pillow supporting my neck and a body pillow between my legs. If I do sleep a little while on my stomach or back I push the pillow away (and put the body pillow under my knees if I am sleeping on my back). I'm having neck/shoulder problems from sleeping on my side, but I'm afraid to switch to sleeping on my back because it increases the risk of sleep apnea or on my stomach because I fear it is bad for my back.

mikezentz is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by isbolick View Post
    Isn't it kind of weird to change your sleeping habits based on something that no one can ever know? I imagine this is pretty individual. If no pillow works for you, it's probably because of the way you are built combined with the position you find most comfortable to sleep in. Not because nobody had a pillow 10,000 years ago. I sleep best with a memory foam pillow and on a 4" thick memory foam mattress pad. Like sleeping in a cloud. No back or hip problems at all after those changes. And I am thinking our ancestors did not have access to memory foam, but they didn't have access to antibiotics, either. Or cars. Too bad for them; I am keeping the memory foam, the modern medicine and the car.
    I tend to agree with you. I'm going to give this pillowless thing a two week test and if it feels good I'll stick with it. If not then its back to the pillow for me. I think sometimes its more important to do what feels right or make sense than to do what our ancestors did. Not eating grains, processed foods, or poison makes sense to me. Sleeping uncomfortably? not a chance.

Time to give it a go.

I've been trying it mostly or comfort. Some times I wake up from a nights sleep great, but others, no... it varies, so I think my sleeping experiment will have to last a while.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123