Thread: Hi! Been a lurker for a while... page

marymonster is offline Junior Member

Red face Hi! Been a lurker for a while...

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone, I'm a 15 year old girl about 2 weeks into paleo. I've been lurking around this site and a few others like paleohacks for a couple of months now. I finally decided to commit because I was just so fed up with feeling like crap all of the time, I've been diagnosed with depression and I have chronic pain that is apparently a mystery to doctors. I probably eat 80-90% primal. I also walk a lot, do body weight exercises, and play tennis. And guess what! I'm already starting to feel better! I've also lost 4 pounds, probably water weight but still cool! This is one of the sites where people seem pretty nice overall, so greetings!

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Mary. It's great to get into primal at such a young age!

People here are nice, almost all of them. Just be careful when they tell you to do something other than basic primal. But do come here for support. And answers to questions, but be wary of them.

Good luck. I hope primal continues to go very well for you.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

summoora is offline Junior Member
    I'm just starting myself. Actually, I'm sort of coming in as a transition into GAPS, which is very similar to primal, just more medical and independent of caveman theories.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist2 View Post
    People here are nice, almost all of them. Just be careful when they tell you to do something other than basic primal. But do come here for support. And answers to questions, but be wary of them.
    Oh so true, sound advice
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marymonster View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm a 15 year old girl about 2 weeks into paleo. I've been lurking around this site and a few others like paleohacks for a couple of months now. I finally decided to commit because I was just so fed up with feeling like crap all of the time, I've been diagnosed with depression and I have chronic pain that is apparently a mystery to doctors. I probably eat 80-90% primal. I also walk a lot, do body weight exercises, and play tennis. And guess what! I'm already starting to feel better! I've also lost 4 pounds, probably water weight but still cool! This is one of the sites where people seem pretty nice overall, so greetings!
    Hi Mary,

I agree wholeheartedly with Hedonist2 and Tribal Rob: best thing is to be cautious of what you hear on the boards and stick to the Primal Blueprint. Here is the direct link to the online summary of it:

Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple

Having said that, I will offer a link offsite -- it's to an interview that may interest you. This is Julia Ross being interviewed just last week and I haven't even heard it yet myself, although I've heard her talk before.

Julia Ross treats people with various mood, and even psychological, problems with a diet fairly similar to Primal. She says they've found that to be more effective than either drugs or talking therapy. Since you mention depression, I thought it would interest you and give you some hope to hear her. I'm not suggesting that you do anything in particular -- just suggesting that her success working with people suggests that eating Primal is probably one of the best things you can do.

The Diet Cure 2012 with Julia Ross 06/22 by Underground Wellness | Blog Talk Radio

It's great that you do that exercise, too. It sounds well-balanced and like neither not enough nor too much. That should also be a great helper for mood.

If the chronic pain doesn't settle down after awhile, I'd suggest you might try going full Paleo for 30 days and see if that's any better. Just as an experiment. I agree that 80-90% is good enough for most people, but it could be you're sensitive to something -- wheat and dairy are the most common -- and then you really do need to get it out of the diet.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Yes, for the love of all that is holy, just stick to the basics and don't wander off into the scary regions known as "tweaking for better results because this just isn't working like I think it should." Nothing good to be found there.

Anyway, I'm glad you found this so early. I wish I had. I think you're going to love being able to eat bacon while the cool girls are nursing a diet coke.

Okay, maybe that's my old high school band geek self talking...
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Loulou is offline Junior Member
    Hi Mary,

I just started about 6 weeks ago and already feel so much better and have a ton more energy! I think it is so great that you discovered this new way of life at such an early age. Its awesome to meet you!

Hi Mary,

I'm 21 and I just started about 2 weeks ago also. How long have you been playing tennis? As for the medical stuff, I definitely understand the frustration of feeling like crap all the time. Does your chronic pain go in patterns, or are there certain areas that are worse than others?