Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insanity workout DVDs. Has anyone tried them?

Hybrid View

Insanity workout DVDs. Has anyone tried them?

Hey Groks!

Just wondering if anyone out there has tried the Insanity DVDs?
    If so, what's your verdict?

I'm very tempted to give it a go.

Thanks,

Carlyhas.

Guy I know has been doing them for 2 months or so. He likes the workouts but, from his description, it honestly sounds like chronic cardio. For most folks, I think the insanity program is overtraining.

There are a bunch of people doing that in my unit here in Afghanistan. From what I have heard, it is a lot of cardio, and I can't say that I am seeing anyone participating making great gains...
    "Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they will collapse. But the VERY BEST men know that the mind tires before the body and push themselves beyond all limits. Only when all of these limits have been shattered can the unattainable be reached." ~Dan Gable

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus14 View Post
    There are a bunch of people doing that in my unit here in Afghanistan. From what I have heard, it is a lot of cardio, and I can't say that I am seeing anyone participating making great gains...
    I downloaded the torrent. You need to have access to all kinds of differen weights soI think it's only really possible in the gym or when you have a lot of weights. But why don't you just download it for free?
    well then

Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    I downloaded the torrent. You need to have access to all kinds of differen weights soI think it's only really possible in the gym or when you have a lot of weights. But why don't you just download it for free?
    No weights are required for Insanity.

It's a great program for conditioning. It's 60 days and isn't chronic cardio, although if that's all you did everyday, yeah it would probably be considered this. The first months workouts are relatively short, with the second month "max" workout being about 10 minutes longer.

I did a round of Insanity which drastically reduced my mile time.

One thing I will add is, if you are strength training and switch over to Insanity, you will lose some strength. But this comes right back after you resume strength training.
    Last edited by Fernaldo; 06-23-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    No weights are required for Insanity.

It's a great program for conditioning. It's 60 days and isn't chronic cardio, although if that's all you did everyday, yeah it would probably be considered this. The first months workouts are relatively short, with the second month "max" workout being about 10 minutes longer.

I did a round of Insanity which drastically reduced my mile time.

One thing I will add is, if you are strength training and switch over to Insanity, you will lose some strength. But this comes right back after you resume strength training.
    Well I some downloaded insanity dvd's and in 1 of those they use weights for bicep curls and shoulder presses. I'm not planning on doing it though, I'm doing starting strength, but I was just curious about the workouts
    well then

Well I some downloaded insanity dvd's and in 1 of those they use weights for bicep curls and shoulder presses. I'm not planning on doing it though, I'm doing starting strength, but I was just curious about the workouts
    I just saw your sig. SW: 123 and a goal body weight of 140 with a lot more muscle. You need to stick to weight training and if you don't know what you're doing then you need to have a gym trainer set you up with a block lifting program.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Yeah, I don't know what you downloaded, but there are no weights in Insanity. I have done/own the program. It's all bodyweight exercise.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Insanity requires no weights.

And you don't download it for free because that's stealing.

Back to OP- I have Insanity and it's the hardest workout I've ever done. I also have P90X, and frankly Insanity makes P90X look easy. It's very hard on the knees though. I had to stop 2/3 of the way through the program because my knees were shot. It took months for me to recover. I agree by Primal standards it's probably chronic cardio. But I don't see why you couldn't do just half of a DVD one day, half the next and use the basis of the program to improve your fitness.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Insanity requires no weights.

And you don't download it for free because that's stealing.

Back to OP- I have Insanity and it's the hardest workout I've ever done. I also have P90X, and frankly Insanity makes P90X look easy. It's very hard on the knees though. I had to stop 2/3 of the way through the program because my knees were shot. It took months for me to recover. I agree by Primal standards it's probably chronic cardio. But I don't see why you couldn't do just half of a DVD one day, half the next and use the basis of the program to improve your fitness.
    Any program that causes injuries like that is NOT proper exercise. Period. I simply can't believe all of the nonsense out there. The fitness industry is a joke. If any protocol wears people out and leads to injury, its nothing that anyone should be doing.