Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Insanity workout DVDs. Has anyone tried them? page 3

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    I disagree. I'm the one that got injured and the bottom line is I attempted an extreme program while I was significantly overweight. I'd say it's user error. I only put the warning about knees on there to prevent other people from experiencing the same issue. Running or any other higher impact exercise would have done the same thing to me. Personally I think Insanity is a good program. I just did too much, too soon, with too much extra weight on my knees.
    Yes running or any other high impact exercise would have injured you as well as the countless others it injures on a daily basis. That is the point. High impact activity is not beneficial exercise over the long haul. Any activity that carries a high risk of wear and tear, injuries etc. is NOT proper exercise. Injuries add up. That wear and tear comes back to haunt later in life. Once mobility is diminished, quality of life goes down as does one's actual lifespan. This is no small manner. The way in which exercise is viewed by almost everyone is wrong. Insanity is a great name for this protocol.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    Yes running or any other high impact exercise would have injured you as well as the countless others it injures on a daily basis. That is the point. High impact activity is not beneficial exercise over the long haul. Any activity that carries a high risk of wear and tear, injuries etc. is NOT proper exercise. Injuries add up. That wear and tear comes back to haunt later in life. Once mobility is diminished, quality of life goes down as does one's actual lifespan. This is no small manner. The way in which exercise is viewed by almost everyone is wrong. Insanity is a great name for this protocol.
    So do you also disagree with Mark's suggestion for sprinting once a week, then? I'm genuinely curious. I think high impact is fine, if you have the joints for it, personally. I do believe you can over-exercise by doing it too long, but I don't see any reason to actually avoid higher impact exercise if your joints are in good shape and your weight isn't excessive. Surely Grok ran occasionally.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    I workout mid-morning and there are several older gentlemen there at that time. Everyone of them regrets all of the crazy "fitness" stuff they did 20-30 years ago. They deal with joint pain, tendinitis and arthritis everyday of their lives. It makes you think for sure.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    So do you also disagree with Mark's suggestion for sprinting once a week, then? I'm genuinely curious. I think high impact is fine, if you have the joints for it, personally. I do believe you can over-exercise by doing it too long, but I don't see any reason to actually avoid higher impact exercise if your joints are in good shape and your weight isn't excessive. Surely Grok ran occasionally.
    I think that interval training is very effective. There are lots of ways to do it and not all are high impact. I've done flat ground sprints and have most definitely had minor tears and the like. I've found steep hill sprints to be even more effective and much less high impact as you can't run fast at all as gravity prevent it. You push as hard as you can but in reality your legs are getting more of a weight training workout leg wise.

It all come down to fitness but not at the cost of mobility, quality of life and longevity.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123