Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Insanity workout DVDs. Has anyone tried them? page 2

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Insanity and p90x = teh sux.
    I found a good article explaining why they should be avoided. I'll look for it again after work and post it

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    This might be the report you're looking for. The End of Group Training – FREE Report!

I see something like P90X as a good base foundation and part of a block training system. It helps break up the boredom of a training year. I used to be about getting as big and strong as I could...then I started thinking along the lines of "what would be a good build for a hunter/gatherer?" (and that was before ever hearing about the paleo diet). I reasoned the type of build women prefer in men was built into their genes, that too bulky was a lousy hunter/protector/warrior in a paleolithic tribe. I figured that build was healthier in the long run too. (Personally, I always preferred a Frank Zane build to the bigger bodybuilders of his day. I'm giving my age away, now).

If a person simply wants to have good muscle tone and not be "too" bulky something like P90X isn't a bad way to go, esp. if you workout by yourself. I add more weights to it, though. I do squats instead of the back/leg workout. While it's alright for upper body P90X is weak in the the leg workout.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Well I some downloaded insanity dvd's and in 1 of those they use weights for bicep curls and shoulder presses. I'm not planning on doing it though, I'm doing starting strength, but I was just curious about the workouts
    Yeah, I don't know what you downloaded, but there are no weights in Insanity. I have done/own the program. It's all bodyweight exercise.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    This might be the report you're looking for. The End of Group Training – FREE Report!

I see something like P90X as a good base foundation and part of a block training system. It helps break up the boredom of a training year. I used to be about getting as big and strong as I could...then I started thinking along the lines of "what would be a good build for a hunter/gatherer?" (and that was before ever hearing about the paleo diet). I reasoned the type of build women prefer in men was built into their genes, that too bulky was a lousy hunter/protector/warrior in a paleolithic tribe. I figured that build was healthier in the long run too. (Personally, I always preferred a Frank Zane build to the bigger bodybuilders of his day. I'm giving my age away, now).

If a person simply wants to have good muscle tone and not be "too" bulky something like P90X isn't a bad way to go, esp. if you workout by yourself. I add more weights to it, though. I do squats instead of the back/leg workout. While it's alright for upper body P90X is weak in the the leg workout.
    I have done P90X as well. It's a good system to jump start and actual strength/fitness routine. It's not sustainable by any means. What's really unusual about the whole thing is how successful it is. It's not like it's some half-assed "get rich quick" scheme. You literally bust your ass for 6 days a week for an hour a day for 90 days. Now, obviously everyone that buys it doesn't use it, but it's the most successful workout DVD ever created (I believe).
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Carlyhas is offline Junior Member
    Thanks guys for all your input.
    I'm looking at doing it more to break up my training routine. I know it's more then we need to do, but I love to push myself and work hard. Looking at both Insanity and p90x, they both look very physically challenging which is what I like. I love finishing a workout knowing that I worked my ring out. Ha-ha.
    I agree with Fernaldo & Scott F, it wouldn't be sustainable but good to break up the boredom?

SCB
    SCB is offline Junior Member
    I'm looking to start insanity next monday, just got back into Paleo/Primal eating (about 80% paleo for now, still need some carbs I reckon)

atm my schedule is:

60 days insanity
    60 days insanity asylum
    then work towards crossfit

should be fairly cut again

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    I downloaded the torrent. You need to have access to all kinds of differen weights soI think it's only really possible in the gym or when you have a lot of weights. But why don't you just download it for free?
    Insanity requires no weights.

And you don't download it for free because that's stealing.

Back to OP- I have Insanity and it's the hardest workout I've ever done. I also have P90X, and frankly Insanity makes P90X look easy. It's very hard on the knees though. I had to stop 2/3 of the way through the program because my knees were shot. It took months for me to recover. I agree by Primal standards it's probably chronic cardio. But I don't see why you couldn't do just half of a DVD one day, half the next and use the basis of the program to improve your fitness.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Insanity requires no weights.

And you don't download it for free because that's stealing.

Back to OP- I have Insanity and it's the hardest workout I've ever done. I also have P90X, and frankly Insanity makes P90X look easy. It's very hard on the knees though. I had to stop 2/3 of the way through the program because my knees were shot. It took months for me to recover. I agree by Primal standards it's probably chronic cardio. But I don't see why you couldn't do just half of a DVD one day, half the next and use the basis of the program to improve your fitness.
    Any program that causes injuries like that is NOT proper exercise. Period. I simply can't believe all of the nonsense out there. The fitness industry is a joke. If any protocol wears people out and leads to injury, its nothing that anyone should be doing.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    Any program that causes injuries like that is NOT proper exercise. Period. I simply can't believe all of the nonsense out there. The fitness industry is a joke. If any protocol wears people out and leads to injury, its nothing that anyone should be doing.
    I disagree. I'm the one that got injured and the bottom line is I attempted an extreme program while I was significantly overweight. I'd say it's user error. I only put the warning about knees on there to prevent other people from experiencing the same issue. Running or any other higher impact exercise would have done the same thing to me. Personally I think Insanity is a good program. I just did too much, too soon, with too much extra weight on my knees.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

melissasoua3 is offline Junior Member
    It's a daily dose of awesomeness!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast