Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High fiber veggies? I need more fiber! page

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member

High fiber veggies? I need more fiber!

I know some here feel eating a high fiber diet is over-rated. But, personally, I have discovered I just really need it. Before eating primal I ate a lot of high fiber whole grain foods and legumes. I never, ever had bowel issues. I was always very regular, things moved easily and like clockwork. Since eating primal things are not so happy down south. I get constipation frequently, or it's like little rocks. Neither is pleasant. I've never had hemorrhoids in my life and really don't want to find out what they're like. But I fear that, with these digestive issues, I'm going to find out soon if I don't do something.
    I try to eat a lot of veggies, big salads for lunch, 2-3 servings of veggies with dinner, fruit for snacks. But it just isn't enough, apparently. Let's face it, ounce per ounce, whole grains and beans have more fiber than vegetables. I used to eat an egg sandwich on whole grain toast for breakfast. A good 10 grams of fiber. I would have a bean burrito on a whole grain tortilla for lunch. That one burrito gave me 13 grams of fiber. I'd have to eat 4 entire bags of spinach each day to get that much fiber. I just can't do that. I like spinach, but not by the bucketful.
    So, what can I do? Is there any super-fiber veggie I can add to my diet? I don't want to eat prunes or other dried fruit because of the high sugar content. Drinking glasses of Metamucil or popping fiber pills is not really the way to go either. Other suggestions?

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Two of the highest fiber primal approved veggies are avocado and artichoke actually.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Oh, and cabbage is good too. If you get it in the form of sauerkraut you combine good fiber with some great probiotics as well.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    I'm with the OP. Like little rocks. Wiped blood yesterday.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Grafter is offline Senior Member
    What are your macro levels?

As far as an answer goes, one I've seen before is to eat more fat.

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grafter View Post
    What are your macro levels?
    I don't know. I just try to eat natural whole foods. I don't obsess about percentages. I try to just eat the same amount of meat/poultry/fish I ate before but replacing my grain portions with veggies and/or fruit. I switched from Smart Balance to real butter, from vegetable oil to olive oil or coconut oil. Toss in a handful of nuts now and then.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    What is your fat intake? If your fat level is too low, you will not be able to go. Could you give us an example of your daily food intake, broken up as it would be throughout the day. Also your stats (age, gender, height and weight).

Cheers.

Beefy is offline Member
    Fiber here is not the answer. You need to increase your fat intake.

BigJilm is offline Senior Member
    common complaint when going paleo. I started taking 300mg of magnesium twice a day, two weeks later I am now regular again.
    I'll be back

bauag is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I strongly support to consume fiber protein than animal protein where there is no side effect of this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast