Thread: Just a rant... page

Theresa92 is offline Senior Member

Just a rant...

Primal Fuel
    I started eating Primal a couple of months ago. So far, I have only been using olive oil, bacon grease, and ghee to cook with. Sometimes I will use butter. I also have access to lard, beef tallow, palm oil, and coconut oil. My mother buys these in bulk because she makes soaps out of them. I currently live at home since I am attending school to get a degree, and so these fats are available to me.

She let me use a bit of the lard tonight to cook with. I didn't make anything fancy... just two scrambled eggs fried in about 2 tsp lard. As she handed me the bucket of lard, she says that she "really does NOT want to encourage me to cook with lard". I didn't say anything in response, because they are her fats and she was nice enough to let me try a bit of her lard. But I got really frustrated because my whole family eats a typical SAD diet. They all believe that the key to being healthy is to eat low fat. However, they definitely do not eat low fat most of the time. I am just so frustrated that somebody could truly think that eating 2 teaspoons of lard will kill you, while eating 3 sugary cream puffs in one night will not(which is what my mother did the previous night).

I kindly tried to explain to my mother that humans have been eating animal fats for thousands of years, and that this is what has sustained us for this long. I haven't been eating Primal for that long, so I do not know all of the science behind it. But what I DO know is that if animal fat is "so bad" for us, then we would be long gone by now. My mother responded by saying that the people back then also had it much easier because they did not have all these unhealthy sugary candies to tempt them with. She understands how eating Primal works, however I get the feeling that she does not find it practical because "she couldn't eat that way in this world"(meaning that its way too hard to eat primal in a world that revolves around sugar).

Sorry about this rant.... I just really had to get it off my chest. For some reason I'm just really frustrated with it because I do not see how anyone can think eating lard is somehow worse than eating a bunch of sugar.

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    I think it's even more frustrating when people understand the reasoning behind Primal and still choose to eat CW. Weird, ain't it?

A thought about your mother's lard & coconut oil, etc. Could be they're very high quality - I don't know enough about bulk soap-making ingredients to have a clue - but would be very suspicious until I confirmed they were not chemically processed rubbish.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    ^I agree. Most of the soap-making fats I've run across aren't fit for human consumption (something they mix in the fat so it doesn't go bad, can't remember what it was). I do know the coconut oil I got for making candles tastes awful compared to the coconut oil I get at the store, even though they are both supposed to be cold pressed extra virgin oils.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Rant away. Most of us do it.

Some thoughts on selling primal Hint: you probably can't. But I certainly understand you wanting to do that. Good luck.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    This is what sprinting, hitting a boxing bag, etc etc where invented for then when you have calmed down a bit a good long walk will do the rest and put things back into perspective - see primal even sorts out the anger.

I do feel you though, my Dad has the worst leaky gut and multiple food intolerances, will he cut out all grains, sugar and infamatory oils (oh he as athritus too) WILL HE BOLLOCKS, he keeps eating his rice flake flapjacks and spelt flour bread AHHHHH FFS *Goes of sprint again to calm down again*
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

cantare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa92 View Post
    I kindly tried to explain to my mother that humans have been eating animal fats for thousands of years, and that this is what has sustained us for this long. I haven't been eating Primal for that long, so I do not know all of the science behind it. But what I DO know is that if animal fat is "so bad" for us, then we would be long gone by now.
    +1
    Leave aside the historical argument: Ask her in what form the human body stores the vast majority of its energy reserves. Why is the same substance suddenly toxic when consumed? Are people who restrict calories on SAD diets in order to burn fat poisoning themselves?

This is one of those myths that makes less and less sense the more you think about it. Unfortunately, the "fat=BAD" cultural meme is so pervasive that most people don't think about it at all.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    There's lacking logic in her arguments. First she does not want you to eat fats, then she says that she simply doesn't eat fats because the American diet revolves around sugar and carbs? It's as though she admitted eating fats was healthy, but was just hard to do... Or is it that you got her to understand the logic behind it, and how it's probably healthier? If so, congratulations. That's a huge accomplishment.

Regarding helping her change her diet, it's not something you can simply impose on someone. If someone's going to change their diet it has to come from their own decision. All you can do is show a good example, casually talk about the paleo/primal diet whenever you can. Insert random facts here and there that support it whenever it's relevant. Stuff like that.
    Last edited by Bosnic; 06-23-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    "Mom, thanks to your parenting, I've never been afraid to tackle something just because it was hard."

Theresa92 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you for your advice, everyone. You guys are right in saying that selling primal is a very hard thing to do....

As for the people who stated that commercially prepared lard is bad, I did do more research and I found out about the very thing you are talking about. I did not realize that commercial lard contains additives that literally turn the whole thing into trans fat(hydrogenated?). Either way, thanks for the heads up. I appreciate all advice and support!