Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, I'm addicted... page

mamakate is offline Junior Member

Help, I'm addicted...

Primal Fuel
    After a few months of slowly transitioning into a mostly primal diet, I am now beginning to incorporate the primal fitness routine. I'm doing heavy lifting 2-3 times/week and have started sprinting. I don't come from an athletic background and I have always hated exercising so much to my surprise I've discovered that I am in love with sprinting, especially hill sprints! I can't get enough of 'em! That euphoric feeling and incredible energy I get after I do them make me feel pretty much invincible. I think about sprinting everyday and I want so badly to do them more than what Mark's prescribes - one session every 7-10 days. No way, I can't wait that long!

Does anyone out there do sprints more than once a week? How often can I do them without risking injury or other metabolic side effects?

Thanks!

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    My understanding is that you can do sprints up to twice a week. More than that, you are not doing them hard enough, unless you are an elite athlete, in which you can do them 3X. Are you out of breath after a sprint? Can you close your mouth? You should be out of breath and "panting with your tongue out." Otherwise, you are having fun. I say enjoy!
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    What about doing additional ones on a bike? You would still gain benefits and it wouldn't stress the same areas as running.

SonGoku is offline Junior Member
    2-3 is OK as long as you can recover. Jim Wendler recommends at least 2 so i think you'll be ok. How many sprints do you do per session?

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Don't overthink this. Seriously. You like to sprint? Sprint every day, all the time, to your heart's content. At some point you'll get tired, and you'll rest until you're eager to sprint again, and that's what you'll do. Just listen to yourself and have fun, screw the whole ''well, Mark said I can sprint once every 6.47275 days and on odd days only''. Go out there, move, have fun. Not more complicated than that.

vrodmuscle is offline Member
    When incorporating a heavy squat leg day, I sprint no more than once a week to avoid injury. Their are other HIIT workouts one can do beyond sprints if so desired (skipping, eliptical, rowing, boxing-my fav).
    My Youtube Health and Fitness Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dcdhealthfitness

Will be making more videos weekly.

econ is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mamakate View Post
    Does anyone out there do sprints more than once a week? How often can I do them without risking injury or other metabolic side effects?
    I do them whenever I feel like it, usually 1-3 times per week. If you are worried that you are doing them too often, you can always start doing some sports instead (since most sports involve sporadic activity and short bursts of running).
    Last edited by econ; 06-23-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    I'd like to see some research saying u should only do them 2 times a week. 10 sprints of 10 on 20 off take 10 mins with warm up. I do it whenever I can. Usually 2-3 times. but would do more.

mamakate is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the info everyone! I think I'm going to try it 2-3xweek and see where it goes from there. I'll take it slow and allow myself to recover fully before sprinting again. The bike idea is great - I didn't even think of using another type of exercise for sprints.

econ is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    I'd like to see some research saying u should only do them 2 times a week.
    I agree. I would be surprised if Grok didn't sometimes have to sprint once or twice a day for an entire week. Not to mention, I presume short distance runners practice/train often. With that said though, I'd stick with sprinting on grass and avoid synthetic surfaces (like cement and the like).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast