Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mr Mackerel page

Bobert is offline Senior Member

Mr Mackerel

Primal Fuel
    So to quote Culinary Propaganda: You Will Eat Mackerel

The first line of argument is about being a responsible consumer of seafood. The global stocks of many species of fish have been considerably degraded over the last century, and some are on brink of total annihilation. Mackerel is not among these. On the North American Atlantic coast, it has long been and continues to be considered a junk fish. Few commercial fishermen seek it out as their primary target. Most are caught as by catch and are used as bait or for fishmeal. A friend originally from the Canadian east coast told me that, when she was growing up, fishermen there would ridicule anyone who wanted to eat mackerel.

It is my understanding that this fish is DHA crazy. 1 cup 44g of protein, 1.5 g of DHA, are you farting serious? So I would like to eat more, preferably the 1 dollar for giant(at Giant) can kind. Thoughts?

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Grilled fresh mackerel. Yummy. When we go to Teignmouth in Devon on vacation we take a boat out about half a mile and catch dinner. It does really need to be fresh for taste though. Here in England one can buy tinned mackerel in various sauces.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    I love mackerel
    We can catch it of the cliffs here in the summer.
    Lovely slapped on the BBQ on its own or with some mustard... (or anything else you feel like trying)
    Its an oily fish so you dont even need to do anything special. just gut & cook
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    It is my understanding that this fish is DHA crazy. 1 cup 44g of protein, 1.5 g of DHA, are you farting serious? So I would like to eat more, preferably the 1 dollar for giant(at Giant) can kind. Thoughts?
    I'd strongly recommend you verify the origin of the canned mackerel. I've seen canned mackerel labeled as "Product of china" - and having been to China and seen some of the fish farms there - believe me when I say that I'm not too keen on buying farmed fish from China.

That said, if you can find wild-caught mackerel, it's a cheap, healthy source of good fats/omega 3's.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Fresh mackerel = delicious! Very good source of O3 too.

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    Smoked mackerel with a roasted pepper and little gem lettuce salad is heavenly, too.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Mackerel sashimi was was one of the worst things I've eaten.

I'll have to give it a try on the grill
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Love it! My favourite fish - I don't mind however it is served, sashimi is fine by me.

My preference is prepared, slashed and under the grill/broiler, flip, squeeze of lemon and a dollop of stewed rhubarb alongside.

Yup ... Love it! Full of goodness, too.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I often buy it by the can, and bought it whole once but really don't like the bones - scary stuff.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I much prefer canned mackerel over canned tuna. Plus it's cheaper!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast