Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grass Fed Beef... How much of a difference did it make to you? page

tristonian is offline Junior Member

Question Grass Fed Beef... How much of a difference did it make to you?

I've been primal for a 1-2 months now and after shedding at least 20 lbs the first few weeks I haven't lost any the past two+ weeks (normally I don't weigh myself this often but after losing weight for the first time in a few years, you get excited). Due to inconvenience, I actually did not start buying grass fed beef until today. I did find an alternative grocer who sells them but others I ran into were very vegetarian oriented and only had small selection of the grain fed variety. To give you a rough idea I was on strictly primal foods for 90/10 of the time. Since I'm so new in the process there are several different tweaks I could make and most of my answers will come from trial and error. My activity level has dipped since I've been recently preoccupied with finishing projects/papers for school and finals week begins on Monday. I was at least 340 when I started am now at 320.

That being said my question is how much of a difference would it make now that I can reliably obtain grass fed meat and get completely off grain fed meats?

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    Tristonian. I can't comment much on the meat situation (as I'm still on most grain), but just wanted to say "Welcome" and great to hear you're dropping fat. I started 3 weeks ago at 340 myself. Look forward to seeing how things go for you. Good luck!
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    In weight loss, probably nothing. In inflammation reduction and all the goodness that better O3:O6 ratios give you, you'll get some value there.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I've heard of people with corn allergies say they're able to tell pretty quickly which it is because they have a reaction if it's corn fed or finished.

As far as everyone else, I would assume the quality would be much better, but maybe not noticeable in how you feel.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    WAY more filling. You'll notice you eat much less.

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I've heard of people with corn allergies say they're able to tell pretty quickly which it is because they have a reaction if it's corn fed or finished.

As far as everyone else, I would assume the quality would be much better, but maybe not noticeable in how you feel.
    Ok that's just silly. I don't think you'll find any kernels of corn in your steak.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilian View Post
    Ok that's just silly. I don't think you'll find any kernels of corn in your steak.
    I have no clue if it's true or not, but according to someone with a pretty severe corn allergy, they had been buying grass fed and finished for years. Then she started getting ill and it turns out then the butcher had recently switched to grass fed and corn finished because the prices had gone up so much.

I don't know if the allergens could somehow end up stored in the fat or not. I'm pretty insensitive to corn myself.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tristonian View Post
    I've been primal for a 1-2 months now and after shedding at least 20 lbs the first few weeks I haven't lost any the past two+ weeks (normally I don't weigh myself this often but after losing weight for the first time in a few years, you get excited). Due to inconvenience, I actually did not start buying grass fed beef until today. I did find an alternative grocer who sells them but others I ran into were very vegetarian oriented and only had small selection of the grain fed variety. To give you a rough idea I was on strictly primal foods for 90/10 of the time. Since I'm so new in the process there are several different tweaks I could make and most of my answers will come from trial and error. My activity level has dipped since I've been recently preoccupied with finishing projects/papers for school and finals week begins on Monday. I was at least 340 when I started am now at 320.

That being said my question is how much of a difference would it make now that I can reliably obtain grass fed meat and get completely off grain fed meats?
    If weight loss is your priority, I don't think grassfed is going to make much difference for you. Its definitely healthier, but it sounds like you're eating for weight loss, not optimal health.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Well, grass-fed beef DOES tend to be a bit leaner, so it will trim calories in that respect, but I don't think it'll make much difference...

That said, for a ton of OTHER reasons, I'd still eat it.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I agree with the others, much better for you. Not to mention, tastes SO MUCH BETTER!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast