Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grass Fed Beef... How much of a difference did it make to you? page 2

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    I agree with the others, much better for you. Not to mention, tastes SO MUCH BETTER!
    This is the biggest selling point for me. After eating grass-fed beef for so long, anything else tastes like grocery store roast beef or a sandwich from Arbys...yuck.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilian View Post
    Ok that's just silly. I don't think you'll find any kernels of corn in your steak.
    I second RitaRose. I had a customer of the little co-op I used to run in NJ, she had numerous severe allergies. Food, chemicals, you name it. She was hospitalized several times while I knew her - I used to deliver to her house because she was close to a shut-in. You have never seen such a non-allergenic living space in your life. From the flooring to the bedding, all adjusted to her allergies.

She DID need to be very careful to source meats from sources that didn't use grains. Chicken, for her, was the hardest of all. I couldn't help her with the meats 'cause I was a produce and dry goods co-op.

My own daughter is celiac. Some bodies just are that horrendously sensitive.

tristonian is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the responses everyone. Just to clarify I am seeking to improve my health, didn't mean to imply I was pursuing weight loss at the expense of my health.

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    One of the points of this diet is to increase the amount of whole, real foods in your diet. But you also need to pay attention to the diet of the animals that you eat. You want to eat the meat of an animal that is raised on its natural diet, not a diet that is cheap and convenient for the industrial food chain. I don't need any studies, or scientific evidence or anecdotes from other eaters to understand the truth of this basic principle.

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    Ok that's just silly. I don't think you'll find any kernels of corn in your steak.
    The fat in feedlot beef is more like something you'd snake out of a blocked drain, not something you look forward to snarfing down right off the grill. I raised some 100% grass/hay fed beef and the flavor was amazing, but they were tough buggers. Might have been because they roughoused 90% of the time they weren't sleeping or eating. I prefer grass-fed grain-sweetened beef as a compromise. A place near us raises Highland cattle that way and they taste great without being soggy or greasy like feedlot garbage.
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

kbn1 is offline Senior Member
    There is a scene in the documentary King Corn where a scientist analyzes the film-maker's hair and determines what percentage of their diet was ultimately derived from corn. That included the meat they were eating. I don't think it is ridiculous to think that corn fed beef could cause a reaction in some.

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kbn1 View Post
    There is a scene in the documentary King Corn where a scientist analyzes the film-maker's hair and determines what percentage of their diet was ultimately derived from corn. That included the meat they were eating. I don't think it is ridiculous to think that corn fed beef could cause a reaction in some.
    It can..I don't know why Kilian seems so surprised by that fact. One of my mother's best friends has many autoimmune problems and has a terrible allergy to soy. She cannot eat any chicken at all (unless she raises her own) bc they have soy in their diets. It definitely comes through in their meat.

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    I guess my sarcasm wasn't obvious enough. I won't touch grain fed beef. And I've seen King Corn. But I'm curious as to how the corn/grain manifests itself in the animal's muscle fiber to elicit an allergic response in the consumer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12