Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: plateu out of the gate page

tcseacliff is offline Senior Member

plateu out of the gate

Shop Now
    Hey folks.
    Am I doomed to fail??? I really like the primal eating but have a problem. I cannot get my body to change. I sleep better, I feel better, walking barefoot has fixed my crooked toes, but my cholesterol numbers are up.I can accept that, but, my waist is bigger, and now getting fat on my back.
    my doctor is stumped. he checked for cushings, looked into thyroid, insulin resistance. he say's he does not know why, based on my diet , I should be a smaller person. I am 5'10 up from 216 in 2010 to now 232 lbs. I am able to do lunges again, doing more push ups, feel great but my waist is getting biggerBoynton Beach-Delray Beach-20110724-00022.jpg.
    I do not know how to tweak this. I get confused between not eating enough to only eating when hungry. how do you tell the which is right? I don't eat until near noon. 3 egg fritatta with veggies on top every day. no lunch, then always a meat, veg or salad that is it. maybe a small nosh of cheese or banana before dinner. stopped almonds, need dental work which almonds really pose a challenge.

I have sausage with my breakfast, sometimes bacon. no desert usually. sometimes a little sherbert. have some wine with dinner. am I not eating enough? not sure how to get my body to shed the fat I see all the friday stories. they are inspirational but also frustrating. been eating like this since may 2011, why didn't I get the immediate "fat just falling off!"

I keep reading about on these post's. why is my body not reacting to giving up sugar, grains, and bread, etc. what should zi do next? my family is losing support saying that I am eating the wrong things, fat is no good etc, etc. and based on my increase in girth , it is hard to argue with them. any ideas folks? I did cut down on the bacon, just in case! I have no clue what to do next. GROK ON! sorry about the photo, but needed to make a point, hideous, isn't it? that is not a primal body!
    Last edited by tcseacliff; 06-23-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Please utilize paragraphs.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    Please utilize paragraphs.
    Seconded

I'm sorry to hear this way of eating seems not to be losing the fat you want.

I think you need to look at tracking your intake of -dare I say it - calories, and other macro nutrients. Without this detailed information you can't see where you are going wrong. I know it's a pain in the arse, but I've done the weighing everything out and recording calories for CW dieting and it's not so bad when you get into the habit of doing it, smart phone helps on the go.

You mention excersie, but don't give any indication to what, if any, programm you are useing, are you getting enough slow movement? I find I don't lose weight if I'm not excersising.

At the end of the day, unless there is something medical to look at, if you take in less energy than you use your body finds that fuel from body fat, primal makes that process easier for many by reducing hunger, tuning the body to burn fat all the time and being awsome, but it's not magic, you can eat lots of steak and bacon, but if you coat it in honey you won't get lean.

Also - do you find eggs all that satisfying, I don't, for some reason, if I was eating a fritta for breakfast I would add bacon or ham or sausage, probably some good stong farmhouse chedda on top too Hmmm, hungry now.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    First... a hard truth... calories matter!

Next, this would be MUCH easier for everyone here to examine and help you with if you would edit your original post into some semblance of coherent writing. Group things into short appropriate paragraphs, and try to capitalize where appropriate.
    That thing is a nightmare to try and read.

Also... one thing that jumped out at me from the jumble... I'm not aware of a "sherbert" that is Primal in any way shape or form. Seriously. Doesn't that stuff come in a tub from the freezer case and have a load of HFCS, sugar, and artificial flavor and colors in it?
    If you want a desert that you can eat and still LOSE weight... try eating berries. Yes, plain berries. Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries... whatever.

Primal is not first and foremost a "DIET" for weight loss. It's a healthy way of eating that is satisfying as a long term lifestyle. In order to lose weight a person has to use some critical thinking skills... just as with any "diet" for weight loss. You will need to fully and accurately assess the amount of food you eat on a daily basis using either measuring cups, or preferably a scale. Calories are just as important as the amount of fat, protein, and carbohydrate that you eat. The amount of F/P/C simply help do things like... more fat calories increase satiety, protein helps retain/build muscle during fat loss, carbs provide some energy but too many cause hunger in some people and slow fat loss for others.

Don't worry... you aren't going to be tied to weighing and logging all of your food forever, but it does help you understand portion/calorie relationships. And if you are slipping it's always good to brush up on measurements again. I have to track sometimes even though I would prefer not to, just to make sure that I don't end up eating too low often (due to medication).

Weight loss is an individual journey. But there are many people here that can help steer you in the right direction so that you can try some new things and see exactly what YOU need to get the ball rolling.
    Last edited by cori93437; 06-23-2012 at 12:01 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    1. I think the big initial weight loss is mainly obtained by those that had a wheat/dairy/whatever sensitivity. As soon as I cut wheat, before going primal, I just dropped a ton of weight. I imagine if wheat doesn't make you bloat, you don't get that "dropping pounds of fat" that is actually a bunch of water draining.

2.Fat loss is much slower. And it comes in chunks.

3. Little things like sherbert and wine daily can stop fat loss. I have picked up a summer ice cream habit=slow to no weight loss.

4. Track what you eat. Measure, count calories. If you are sedentary, and if you are a woman, YOU PROBABLY NEED UNDER 2000 CALORIES A DAY. You actually probably need 1500 or so to lose. The people on primal that eat 3000 calories a dayand lose are either:
    1. Genetic freak women
    2. Very active women
    3. Larger men who were eating 5000 calories a day
    4. Larger men who are very athletic- doing hard heavy weights or cross fit or whatnot.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Here's what I got from your post:

On the plus side:
    You sleep better.
    You feel better.
    Your crooked toes are fixed.
    You are more active and can do new things.

And yet you ask why your body is not reacting to dropping grains and sugar.

On the minus side:
    You are getting fatter.

Then you list your typical diet. Sounds good, though no 'snapshot' is adequate or even typical.

Then you get into your, 'oh, and sometimes I have this' part of the diet:
    Sherbet.
    Wine.

I have found that where there is one 'oh, and, sometimes' item, there are seven. Track yourself for a week, and really study the information. There are MANY threads about calories/macros ratios which will be chock full of information for you to use, but first you need to see what you are really doing.

Good luck! (And, just to make sure, you have read the book, haven't you? Some people start with the information they find on the forum/blog, and that is not enough! Go to the source. Read it again. And again!)

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    Good thread for me right now.

I've been eating primal since May 11 this year and have no real weight loss. My weight gain has stabilized though.

Like the OP, I feel better, sleep better, etc. But my 'oh and sometimes' items are hanging me up. I like my wine with dinner. And sometimes I like my martini/s after work before dinner. Once in a while I've been known to have a beer on the weekends, usually chasing a shot of tequila.

Being one of those short curvy middle-aged women (46 next week, 5'2", 137#) it seems I need to mind my total calories along with my macro ratios. And get more exercise. But I can't really tweak my intake without getting rid of the known hang-up factors.

Eating primal has so many yesses to it (yes meat, fat, avocados, cream in my coffee) that the few noes should be bearable. Reading other people's questions and struggles sure helps me get up enough willpower to tough it out, at least until I break out of the plateau.
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

I apologize for the writing style, was not paying attention. thank you folks for the input. I definitely have to follow my journal better. I am learning fit day, confusing. but I am averaging between 2100-2500 cal. not sure it it's too little /too much. the wine i mentioned is only a few glasses, not all the time. the sherbert was a small portion after dinner twice this week.
    i have not been moving slow,enough. a few injuries have slowed down my routine. am getting back now. just got my vibrams. also,going to start doing hammer swings, and my tire sled,hope this will kick start things. my frittata meal holds me all day. I have eliminated lunch,not usually hungry.

I start my meals in morning near 11am,sometimes later. skip lunch, dinner after six.dinner is always a meat,always something steamed(today will be my cabbage & onions). I don't eat again until 11am again. does not seem like enough food to keep me looking like I do. this is tricky stuff

cori93437:

I was craving something cold. I am in s.fla and occasionally want it. read the labels. it did not seem to evil of a thing. I usually freeze my blueberries for cold. I do eat fruit ,just not a ton of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    Seconded

I'm sorry to hear this way of eating seems not to be losing the fat you want.

I think you need to look at tracking your intake of -dare I say it - calories, and other macro nutrients. Without this detailed information you can't see where you are going wrong. I know it's a pain in the arse, but I've done the weighing everything out and recording calories for CW dieting and it's not so bad when you get into the habit of doing it, smart phone helps on the go.

You mention excersie, but don't give any indication to what, if any, programm you are useing, are you getting enough slow movement? I find I don't lose weight if I'm not excersising.

At the end of the day, unless there is something medical to look at, if you take in less energy than you use your body finds that fuel from body fat, primal makes that process easier for many by reducing hunger, tuning the body to burn fat all the time and being awsome, but it's not magic, you can eat lots of steak and bacon, but if you coat it in honey you won't get lean.

Also - do you find eggs all that satisfying, I don't, for some reason, if I was eating a fritta for breakfast I would add bacon or ham or sausage, probably some good stong farmhouse chedda on top too Hmmm, hungry now.

I have sausage usually, sometimes go to whole foods for bacon. this keeps me satisfied all day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast