Thread: Hypothyroidism & Adrenal Fatigue - anyone have luck with Primal? page

justjen is offline Junior Member

Hypothyroidism & Adrenal Fatigue - anyone have luck with Primal?

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone
    I am pretty new to MDA but having been following a Primal eating plan for about 4 months now. My husband has done great on it - lost the 25 pounds that he wanted to and he feels super energetic.

Unfortunately, I have had the opposite experience. I eat very clean, am grain & sugar free (eat around 50 carbs a day from veggies + some fruits). Unfortunately I haven't experienced either the weight loss or energy benefits. I started this to feel better but haven't noticed any big changes so far. I am in/out of ketosis (depending on the day) but have only lost 6 pounds in the last 4 months - but I have about 70 pounds to lose so that's not a big % lost over time.

I started seeing a naturopathic doctor and he diagnosed me with adrenal fatigue - and I have had hypothyroidism for about 10 years now. I've also had chronic colds since I started eating this way, which I find strange. I really believe that this is the best way to eat, but I can't seem to get my energy levels up & body fat levels down. My ND is very supportive of this way of eating, and has me on several supplements - similar in composition to what Mark recommends (plus iodine to help my thyroid).

I have read that it can take 6-24 months for someone to feel better on this eating regime, but from reading the posts it sounds like many of you feel better within days or weeks! I was wondering if anyone else has had this kind of experience - and if so - did they feel better after a long period of time? I'm tired of feeling this way and am trying to figure out how to feel good again! Thanks!

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    I'll just say it now so no one else has to:

Go check out the iodine thread.

Oh wait, you already do iodine. Well, go check it out anyway. And then keep with it.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Wrenwood is offline Senior Member
    I have adrenal exhaustion too, some symptoms have improved over the last five weeks and some haven't. What's better: sleep, especially if I get to bed early; lost 10 lbs; dramatic reduction in BP swings, arrhythmia and chest pain. What's not really changed yet: pronounced fatigue, cardiac symptoms come back if I push myself much at all (e.g., walking around a big store wipes me out). Also I have had one cold and very bad allergies during that time.

I've been told it can take a year or more to rebuild adrenals. If something is draining them faster than this way of life can build them back up (like too much exercise, not enough sleep or not going to bed early enough) maybe that's what is happening. That's my best guess anyway, I hope it helps.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57034.html

"...since our orthodox theories have not saved us we may have to readjust them to bring them into harmony with Nature's laws. Nature must be obeyed, not orthodoxy." Weston A. Price

Ncgirl is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrenwood View Post
    ll (e.g., walking around a big store wipes me out).helps.
    if I go in a big box store such as SAMs I literally feel like I might fall through the floor in just a few minutes. Dizzy, sweating, maybe even a panic attack.I finally figured out it was the fluorescent lights. In a dark store such as earth fare I'm just fine. (I'm also hypo and have had more than my share of adrenal and other hormonal issues.)

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure you answered your own question. You have an endocrine disorder and you are one of the normal ones that take quite awhile to lose weight.

I would highly recommend NOT going to low-carb, as it is hard on your thyroid. You will be much better off upping the carbs and forgetting about weight-loss for the next year. If it comes of faster, great! If not, you're normal.

ND's a great, ND/L.Ac's are even better. Those trained in Chinese medicine often look at your illness in a completely different way.

Are you eating LOTS of broth and organ meats?

shelly1961 is offline Junior Member
    Hi, I am new here and rarely post, but check out this site: Thyroid Mistreatment, Hypothyroidism Scandals, and Thyroid Treatment Problems | Stop The Thyroid Madness

It is full of information and from what I've read, even though you are on a synthroid type med, it may not be treating your hypothyroidism to the point of your symptoms clearing. These continued symptoms wear on your adrenals and are the cause of your adrenal fatigue. The information is amazing.

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I noticed a huuuuuge difference in my adrenal fatigue when I stopped using electricity after the sun went down... Candle light only. And I started PB Fitness plan. It really helped me sleep better, and as my muscles get stronger, daily activities dont require so much effort. And finally, I added water kefir. All three have helped greatly!!!
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.