Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honeymoon and then back to normal? page

sbhikes is online now Senior Member

Honeymoon and then back to normal?

Shop Now
    Is there a honeymoon period for paleo/primal like there appears to be for vegans? I mean, I felt great, better than ever in my life, but the last few weeks I have not felt quite so high. I feel:

- sleepy
    - cranky/moody/irritable, almost depressed
    - not as physically energetic
    - sore from any kind of exercise
    - sometimes my head feels like a caffeine withdrawal feeling but I'm not withdrawing from caffeine
    - things not moving as fast through my system as I would like
    - I eat something and feel energy and then it wears off quickly

I eat plenty of sweet potatoes and occasional fruit (but I swear I felt better on low carb). Plenty of grass-fed beef and salmon so I'm getting my O3s. The main thing that is different is that it's super foggy every day. The sun doesn't come out until 5 or 6 most days. Been like that for weeks.

Do you think it's the fog? Do you think that the vibrant feeling wears off and then you go back to your normal sluggish self (if that's what normal has always been for you)?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Is there a honeymoon period for paleo/primal like there appears to be for vegans? I mean, I felt great, better than ever in my life, but the last few weeks I have not felt quite so high. I feel:

- sleepy
    - cranky/moody/irritable, almost depressed
    - not as physically energetic
    - sore from any kind of exercise
    - sometimes my head feels like a caffeine withdrawal feeling but I'm not withdrawing from caffeine
    - things not moving as fast through my system as I would like
    - I eat something and feel energy and then it wears off quickly

I eat plenty of sweet potatoes and occasional fruit (but I swear I felt better on low carb). Plenty of grass-fed beef and salmon so I'm getting my O3s. The main thing that is different is that it's super foggy every day. The sun doesn't come out until 5 or 6 most days. Been like that for weeks.

Do you think it's the fog? Do you think that the vibrant feeling wears off and then you go back to your normal sluggish self (if that's what normal has always been for you)?
    Maybe you do better on low carb. Lots of people do. Just because the fashion pendulum seems to have swung around here toward sweet potato land doesn't mean that is right for you.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    it could be the weather for sure! Google "Seasonal Affective Disorder"

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by palebluedots View Post
    it could be the weather for sure! Google "Seasonal Affective Disorder"
    Yeah, I had the audacity to believe I had beaten that. I'm not sure now that I will ever be free of it.

I'm going through the same honeymoon period over thing to a degree, although I still feel a lot better than before. It's all to easy to forget just how crap I used to feel. A regression is inevitable ... even primal can't prevent some degree of oscillation, especially for women.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I definitely had a honeymoon where I really felt great. I never slipped back as far as how totally crappy I felt before primal. Every now and again I get a week or so of feeling fantastic again, but otherwise I stay somewhere in the middle.

As paleobird suggests, I sometimes wonder if I should do low carb for stretches and then do a short hit of higher carb.

You could try adding in liver, bone marrow, and a few other foods with rarer nutrients. Liver will often give me a pick-up for a few days.

Have you ever had your vitamin D3 levels checked?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

mrquick42 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Have you ever had your vitamin D3 levels checked?
    I second the idea to check your D3 levels. Sunlight exposure is the primary source of D3 and D3 has a huge impact on many human biological processes.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Sometimes I slack on the seaweed and vitamin D, until I start asking why I feel crappy - and then I realize I haven't taken my D or added my seaweed for over a week.

+5 for the liver! Raw is good, too! And coconut milk. Pow. I can't sit still after liver day!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Leida is offline Senior Member
    To me it might point out that you might be under-recovered. Did you try to take 2-4 days off low-key, sleeping a lot, soaking in a hot tub, reading fun books and watching that good old movie a few times?

The other thing, with the bad weather, do you get a chance to be outside? I know you are very outdoorsy so being cooped up can do it to you.

But, if you feel better on low carb, why don't you just dial the carbs back down and see what's up?

I've never hit the real wall since I got off CW.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    BEING INSIDE MAKES ME WANT TO PUNCH THINGS AND I'M SICK OF LIVING IN WASHINGTON. Kay, all done.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Ha, when I saw "honeymoon" in the title of your post, I assumed you and your CW boyfriend were getting married. I was going to ask if you'd convinced him to put a huge freezer on your gift list for that half cow you've had your eye on!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast