Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I/what to, add to Starting Strength page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

Can I/what to, add to Starting Strength

Primal Fuel
    Some people start tripping as soon as you mention doing any other lifting besides starting strength when you follow the program. Because it will not allow your muscles to recover and you won't grow. But what would actually be so bad about doing pullups/dips right after your workout. Your muscles still get 48/72 hours to recover.

I ask this because I really enjoy lifting. And if possible I would like to do more than squatting, (bench) pressing and deadlifting. I don't like that I have to wait all the way until sunday to lift again.
    Currently I do 2 sets of pushups until failure right after benching, and when I'm done with the entire workout I do 3 sets of chinups and dips until failure. Any other suggestions?
    Billie trips balls

jakey is offline Senior Member
    fuck gadsie, get off the internet already. you overthink your shit WAY TOO MUCH. workout and eat food.

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    fuck gadsie, get off the internet already. you overthink your shit WAY TOO MUCH. workout and eat food.
    Wait wut? What's wrong with this question?
    Billie trips balls

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Doesn't sound like you're dying, and I'm assuming you aren't even overtraining. I think you'll be fine. I actually recommend adding more upper body pulling to the SS program anyway.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by EvRevFit View Post
    Doesn't sound like you're dying, and I'm assuming you aren't even overtraining. I think you'll be fine. I actually recommend adding more upper body pulling to the SS program anyway.
    So what can I add? Maybe on rest days if possible? It's summer break so I'll be wanting to go to the gym a lot
    Billie trips balls

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Sounds fine. Go for it. Actually the less weight your lifting (i.e. if your still a bit weak) and the younger you are the less rest you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    So what can I add? Maybe on rest days if possible? It's summer break so I'll be wanting to go to the gym a lot
    Well, here's my issue with SS: Rip doesn't really give hardly any importance to upper body pulls. He includes pull/chin-ups as accessory/optional movements, but too much pressing without at least an equal amount of pulling will eventually lead to shoulder problems. I'd recommend continuing with your chin-ups (maybe adding some weighted ones occasionally) and also adding bent barbell rows to one workout weekly.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

-Ayn Rand

NicMcCool is offline Senior Member
    You dudes crack me up with this "not enough pulling" business.
    I've got of one them journal thingies. One Night At McCool's

Quote Originally Posted by NicMcCool View Post
    You dudes crack me up with this "not enough pulling" business.
    We evolved to be pull-dominant and are now in a society of push-dominant. You'd be surprised how many shoulder injuries I've had to help rehab due to just that: too much pressing, not enough pulling. The anterior deltoid will give you issues if the posterior deltoid isn't equally strengthened.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

-Ayn Rand

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey Gadsie, post your question on the SS forums and ask Rippetoe what he thinks about working out on off days. I mean the dude has only refined this program over many many many years and has taken many skinny ass kids and turned them into powerhouses, but hey, WTF does he know. Just DTFP....

Or by all means do whatever you want because you know best. What could be wrong with doing this or that.. well, what could be wrong with following a proven method. Trust me, you aren't making the program/progress any better with additions (at this point).
    Last edited by Fernaldo; 06-22-2012 at 02:37 PM.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast