Thread: 1900-2010 // What kills us (chart) page

DashFire is offline Senior Member

1900-2010 // What kills us (chart)

Primal Fuel
    Thought I'd share this chart from a NE Journal of Medicine article titled "The Burden of Disease and the Changing Task of Medicine". There's also an interesting interactive chart where you can see the increase/decrease in various causes over the years. It's an interesting read, especially the last section on "The Roles of Medicine".

causeofdeath.png
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

BigSwifty is offline Junior Member
    That's really interesting, from looking at "what kills us in 2010", it seems like only accidents would continue to cause a lot of people to kick the bucket if everyone went primal, of course that might go down too if they followed Rule #8...

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I'm kind of surprised at the rate of heart disease back then. It looks like it has increased by 40%, but I thought it would have been lower to start with. What were they eating/doing to make it such a high rate?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

jammies is offline Senior Member
    That is very interesting. I would love to somehow see the average age at which those things were killing people.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Paleobird Guest
    Interesting. I'm not sure I really trust stats taken from 1900 however. A lot of people back then just generically died and nobody really knew why because they hadn't been under any medical care. They might have had a cancer or a heart problem but nobody did an autopsy to find out.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The survival rate from heart disease has increased massively - hence the death rate from does not correlate with incidence.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.