Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Christian/Creation PB followers page 37

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    1. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (100%)
    2. Liberal Quakers (95%)
    3. Unitarian Universalism (87%)
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

I wouldn't say that Christians think the world can (pun intended) go to hell in a handbasket after we die. I feel a responsibility to keep the planet decent for my kids and their kids (someday) and everyone else here. It's selfish to use it up irresponsibly no matter what your religion.

If you want to say it's because of Christianity, then don't forget that the same religion says we are to be trustees of the earth. So it's just as likely that a Christian would care for the planet because that's their responsibility as it would be that they would figure it's all going to be gone someday and so not care.

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    My results:
    1. Neo-Pagan (100%)
    2. Unitarian Universalism (94%)
    3. Liberal Quakers (92%)

My husband's results:
    1. Liberal Quakers (100%)
    2. Unitarian Universalism (99%)
    3. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (94%)
    Last edited by Rasputina; 06-29-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I was also raised without religion in my primary home. Although to say I was raised strictly atheist would be a bit of a stretch I suppose. I'm of the thought that my father is more along the lines of agnostic of simply a sort of non-practicing Christian-ish thing because I know that he was raised Presbyterian.

As far as childhood story books... there were so many. Some of my favorites were the favorites of any other small kid... Pokey Little Puppy and Tawney Scrawny Lion from the Little Golden Books... Stone Soup... The Velveteen Rabbit... and many others. There were no religious story books is all.
    Once I hit about 4th grade and ventured into the world of young adult and adult lit (I started with a book of Steinbeck novellas) the sky was the limit. I was allowed to read anything that was available of the family bookshelves. And my father, as awful as he was in many respects, took us to the library with him every couple of weeks and I was allowed to borrow ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that I found appealing, from some mildly inappropriate for my age adult lit (nearly got kicked outa school for reading Lolita on campus as a freshman), to science texts, to truck loads of Stephen King (read his entire cannon before I finished 7th grade, up to/including IT because that's as far as it had gotten at the time). If something didn't make sense I was told to look it up... we had a dictionary the size of an end table and a huge set of encyclopedias.

So it was a little like being raised UU I suppose... I was allowed to search to my hearts content within all of the 'knowledge of the world' (arts, humanities, sciences, I even read about religion and sort of tried on a few hats so to speak) and come to my own conclusions.
    The conclusions I came to pretty early (and have never felt anything but comfortable with) was that there had been A LOT of religions, and all of them had these religious miracles, and most of them made 'god' sound like a petulant child, and it all sounded a good deal like the made up "easter bunny", "tooth fairy", "santa claus" nonsense that they tell kids for fun.

And then I shrugged and went on with my life.

I might indeed like a UUA... but I've never felt comfortable enough in a church before (too touchy, I don't like pretending to have beliefs that I don't have, and I'm not straight so that sense of 'judgement' is awkward feeling) to get into the sense of community though so I'm a bit at a loss for what that is like.
    It might be something I check out after they fix my head a bit and I can drive again (fingers crossed).
    It certainly sounds like the UU folks aren't the type to mind someone coming just to see what's up and check things out... without trying to suck you in and be pushy.
    The minister at my UUA is gay man and the assistant minister is a gay woman. The church does "commitment ceremonies" for gay couples (since gay marriage isn't yet legal here). Nobody's judging.

My Dad was raised Baptist but lost anything resembling faith when, in WWII, he was told by the chaplain that it was not a sin to kill Japs because God was on our side. On Mom's side we are 3 generations UU.

The people there who do self identify as some sort of deist are generally of the less orthodox varieties. For example, I don't think there are any young earth creationists there who believe that Jesus rode a dinosaur. There are Christians who practice their faith more as a philosophy while not insisting on a literal adherence to the bible.

The UU credo, said before meetings is this:

May love be the spirit of this church
    May the search for truth be its sacrament
    And service be its prayer
    To dwell together in peace
    To seek knowledge in freedom
    And to help one another in fellowship
    This is our aspiration

My parents told us the truth and nothing but from the start. No Santa Claus or Easter Bunny mythology to outgrow. My sister and I found a fossil shark's tooth in the hillside behind our house as kids and were taken with it to the Natural History Museum to have it authenticated and dated. One of the first things I ever wanted to be when I grew up was a paleontologist.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    The minister at my UUA is gay man and the assistant minister is a gay woman. The church does "commitment ceremonies" for gay couples (since gay marriage isn't yet legal here). Nobody's judging.
    I don't really go anymore because I moved to the other side of the city, but the last church I went to (Presbyterian) had a lesbian as the head of the fellowship committee. I don't know if she and her partner were married or not (I mostly stuck to the choir and she didn't sing) but obviously the pastor and parishioners didn't see her sexuality as an issue.

It all comes down to individual churches. I've seen quite a few others that were pretty much against it, but that attitude never set well with me so I didn't stay long.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I don't really go anymore because I moved to the other side of the city, but the last church I went to (Presbyterian) had a lesbian as the head of the fellowship committee. I don't know if she and her partner were married or not (I mostly stuck to the choir and she didn't sing) but obviously the pastor and parishioners didn't see her sexuality as an issue.

It all comes down to individual churches. I've seen quite a few others that were pretty much against it, but that attitude never set well with me so I didn't stay long.
    See, you are the kind of Christian who would fit right in at a UU church. As your quiz results indicate too. Moderate, sensible, not trying to shove it down other's throats.

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    Doesn't Revalations describe that as the Church of Sardis or Pergamum or something? The whole "we believe what we want to believe" thing sort've goes against the whole "this book is the word of God" thing.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Figlio di Moros View Post
    Doesn't Revalations describe that as the Church of Sardis or Pergamum or something? The whole "we believe what we want to believe" thing sort've goes against the whole "this book is the word of God" thing.
    No one book has the copyright on the one and only truth, IMO. Wisdom can be found in many places, gathered by a group, and integrated and interpreted individually. In any one service, the UU minister might quote from the bible, the i ching, the koran, and doonsberry.

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    Well, I suppose there's a reason I'm not a member...

pdjesson is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    No one book has the copyright on the one and only truth, IMO. Wisdom can be found in many places, gathered by a group, and integrated and interpreted individually. In any one service, the UU minister might quote from the bible, the i ching, the koran, and doonsberry.
    Wrong! as far as you initial opinion goes. Your further points though have some validity. (Excuse me, I'm just trying to be a little bit 'preachy' without shoving it down peoples throats.)
    All the best!

PDJ

The quieter you become the more you're able to hear.

Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast