Page 36 of 44 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Christian/Creation PB followers page 36

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Sihana View Post
    Very spot on, and this view also makes people very short-sighted in regards to their decisions while on this planet. They live a certain way while waiting for the "next life," consequences be damned to the next generation. Those who realistically feel that they will be around for only 80-90 years, tend to make the most of life and think about their legacy, as they know they can do nothing about it afterwards.

A religious person who believes in the afterlife, also tends to believe they can "look down" upon the physical plane, and in some cases, even influence it. "I'll see the consequences of my actions after I die," sums it up quite nicely.
    This. This. This.

I, by nature, am a tree-hugger, and it hurt my understanding to no end to be in church and have this attude all around me. I see the Earth as one of God's creations, therefore "holy" if you will, and I cannot see how lots of folks just can't see that it falls under the rubric of Stewardship, just like donations / tithes would be. (yeah, I know about the whole "dominion" verse thing)

One of the biggest blasts of fresh air I have gotten was the first stop on my personal Comparative Religions study - paganism. THERE I finally found a love of the Earth. (Not a pagan myself, but really, truly, appreciated their Earth ethic!)

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    The reason that I speak up about that subject rather than hold my peace is that I've seen that belief influence people's poor life decisions. A cousin of mine killed himself when he was fifteen. He said goodbye to his mother and sister, went to a cemetery and shot himself over an open bible. He believed that he would be going to a better place. Religion can be good if it brings comfort to people and causes them to treat other people well, but don't be conned out of living your life.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorAmy View Post
    So you're an athiest existentialist then?.
    Fair enough and a realist as well.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    The reason that I speak up about that subject rather than hold my peace is that I've seen that belief influence people's poor life decisions. A cousin of mine killed himself when he was fifteen. He said goodbye to his mother and sister, went to a cemetery and shot himself over an open bible. He believed that he would be going to a better place. Religion can be good if it brings comfort to people and causes them to treat other people well, but don't be conned out of living your life.
    Yeah, it gets really hard when discussing religion. In my case, it did a world of good. I didn't believe that people were worthy of my trust - and my church stuck with me, and LIVED the good life (not just talk) until it was inescapable to even me that trustworthiness did exist, and right under my own nose, too.

I'm really sorry about your cousin. But you are absolutely right - "...don't be conned out of living your life."

ekczirak is offline Junior Member
    I'm not sure if this has already been stated somewhere in the thread (38 pages is a lot to read through) but here are some of my thoughts.
    Putting my personal beliefs aside, I believe that PB can be supported from a religious/creationist point of view just as it can from a natural selection/creationist point of view. Mark already has the natural selection part handled but in terms of creation, most religions ascribe to the notion that humans were created in this form by some "higher being". If you believe that no modifications to this original design have occurred over time, then isn't it reasonable that we should lead a lifestyle that takes full advantage of the original design?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    I agree with this and your earlier statement about death/afterlife as well.

My aunt and uncle lost their 13y/o only son in a very strange freak accident. Previously they were basically agnostic, both very scientifically minded people. After the son's death it was obviously very hard for them. They had had the son a bit late in life and had the tubes tied afterward. They decided that they would do whatever they had to to have more children then and used donor eggs, fertility treatments, and my uncle's sperm to have a set of twins at almost 50. Then they threw themselves into the church. And I can totally see that temptation. For them that works. Having the twins didn't really 'replace' the son, and they don't want to lose the connection to him. They are joyous in their new found religiousness... they are happy doing community and church work and feel that they will be reunited as a whole family with the dead son in the future.
    It really is a pretty picture. And I see that it would be an easy one to grasp at when there is pain.

However... in many ways I'm in the same boat. My mother was killed when I was young and I had mountains of pain over that for years. It still hurts to think of her as 'gone', mostly because I've missed out on knowing her. Who doesn't with for a mom to makes things better when your in a rut sometimes. Speaking of idealized mothers obviously as I never actually knew mine. However, I know that she is gone. Dead, preserved, buried... decomposed by now... and that there is nothing else.
    There have been times in my life that I have been slightly jealous of people who believe in their deepest heart of hearts that they will be reunited in glorious perfection with their loved ones. I also know that according to some religions, even some denominations of Christianity, my mother would now be in hell sooo...

Lie I said... it's a pretty picture to paint, but that doesn't make it real.

I've also known many people (most religious people I know fall into this category to some extent) for whom religion engenders fear and loathing of anything that is outside the boundaries of what is prescribes as acceptable within their church, even in themselves. This is really, deeply hurtful to people IMO. A very destructive function of religion.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Figlio di Moros View Post
    We should get together and go door to door.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

snoops is offline Senior Member
    1. UU
    2. NeoPagan
    3. New Age

hmmm. The only church I ever felt "right" in was at a memorial service at a UU church. There ya go.

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member

Page 36 of 44 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast