Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Christian/Creation PB followers page 35

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    Your Top 3 Faith Match Profiles Are:
    1. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (100%)
    2. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (92%)
    3. Jehovah's Witness (81%)
    Hey Caveman! ARE you LDS? Because that is where I was. (Still listed as simply "inactive" on the rolls - I just didn't go to the new ward here in OH when we moved from NJ, even they know I am here and sent a nice Visiting Teacher.)

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Hey Caveman! ARE you LDS? Because that is where I was. (Still listed as simply "inactive" on the rolls - I just didn't go to the new ward here in OH when we moved from NJ, even they know I am here and sent a nice Visiting Teacher.)
    No, I don't know exactly what triggered the LDS verdict but Protestant would be my sub-category.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

No, I don't know exactly what triggered the LDS verdict but Protestant would be my sub-category.
    Ok - thanks. I had a lot of fun trying to jimmy my answers to the quiz to give me wildly different results each time. Believe it or not, that proved to be much more difficult than I would have thought!

Ok - thanks. I had a lot of fun trying to jimmy my answers to the quiz to give me wildly different results each time. Believe it or not, that proved to be much more difficult than I would have thought!
    Well, IMO, if someone answered something and then put that they had a moderate or low "feeling" or "conviction" (however they worded it) about it, then they need to rethink their beliefs. These aren't "I kinda sorta believe it" type questions. Either you do or you don't. People try to construe it otherwise, but it's a lot more cut-and-dried than the wishy-wash thinkers believe it to be.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Well, IMO, if someone answered something and then put that they had a moderate or low "feeling" or "conviction" (however they worded it) about it, then they need to rethink their beliefs. These aren't "I kinda sorta believe it" type questions. Either you do or you don't. People try to construe it otherwise, but it's a lot more cut-and-dried than the wishy-wash thinkers believe it to be.
    I agree. The first time I encountered the quiz, it took me absolutely forever to get through the 20 questions. Each question prompted a lot of soul-searching and thought on my part, partly because the questions each are so definite, and partly because I was/still am in a state of flux and it made it hard to answer. Just in my case, there was NO question where I could honestly give it a "low" rating of importance - each question was personally important.

At some point, knowing who wrote the quiz and how they managed to create the list of questions would be neat.

You know, I never thought of giving stuff a "low" importance rating - that could get interesting!

And, simply FYI, have you ever been over to religioustolerance.org? That is the second place I went after getting weird responses like "Unitarian Universalism" - just so I could find out who these unknown (to me) groups even were. And then I went directly to the respective home websites, of course.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I think that a lot of the problem with religion in general isn't the creation myth. The problem is that it distorts people's perception of death and allows them to believe in their own immortality. The truth is that every one of us sooner or later will die and then most likely in our society either be burned into a pile of ash or cut up, half ass preserved and then buried a box. Once this happens we shall be no more and the world will continue on just as it did before we were born. All life must end so enjoy your share of life while it is yours to enjoy.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    This is interesting. Even though we have atheists at my UU, I haven't yet learned that any of them were raised this way. I think a number of ours came to it through personal reflection / experience as adults. So I have to ask - how did this look like for you? I can't imagine children's storybooks... (friendly chuckle)

("Jewnitarian" - that is good! The self-deprecating humor is one of the things I really like about UUism. No sucking-lemons faces there!)
    I was also raised without religion in my primary home. Although to say I was raised strictly atheist would be a bit of a stretch I suppose. I'm of the thought that my father is more along the lines of agnostic of simply a sort of non-practicing Christian-ish thing because I know that he was raised Presbyterian.

During the years that my mother was alive (up to age 7) it was the same with her best as I can remember... either agnostic or just non-practicing Christian-ish... she was raised Southern Baptist.

I really cannot imagine that it was all THAT different to be raised this way than raised as a church goer. I did go to church some when I was on break from school and staying with relatives. I went to the Baptist church with my mothers parents, and to Presby church with my cousin and aunt when staying with my fathers parents. Father's parents were Presbyterian and member of the Masonic Lodge... but did not attend church much at all in the 15 years that I visited them... but remained 'Christain' of course.
    I somehow expressed my atheism to my father not all that long ago... and he seemed a bit taken aback and mumbled something... so I really think that he is still doing 'god' on some level.
    My brother, raised the same as me... also atheist.

As far as childhood story books... there were so many. Some of my favorites were the favorites of any other small kid... Pokey Little Puppy and Tawney Scrawny Lion from the Little Golden Books... Stone Soup... The Velveteen Rabbit... and many others. There were no religious story books is all.
    Once I hit about 4th grade and ventured into the world of young adult and adult lit (I started with a book of Steinbeck novellas) the sky was the limit. I was allowed to read anything that was available of the family bookshelves. And my father, as awful as he was in many respects, took us to the library with him every couple of weeks and I was allowed to borrow ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that I found appealing, from some mildly inappropriate for my age adult lit (nearly got kicked outa school for reading Lolita on campus as a freshman), to science texts, to truck loads of Stephen King (read his entire cannon before I finished 7th grade, up to/including IT because that's as far as it had gotten at the time). If something didn't make sense I was told to look it up... we had a dictionary the size of an end table and a huge set of encyclopedias.

So it was a little like being raised UU I suppose... I was allowed to search to my hearts content within all of the 'knowledge of the world' (arts, humanities, sciences, I even read about religion and sort of tried on a few hats so to speak) and come to my own conclusions.
    The conclusions I came to pretty early (and have never felt anything but comfortable with) was that there had been A LOT of religions, and all of them had these religious miracles, and most of them made 'god' sound like a petulant child, and it all sounded a good deal like the made up "easter bunny", "tooth fairy", "santa claus" nonsense that they tell kids for fun.

And then I shrugged and went on with my life.

I might indeed like a UUA... but I've never felt comfortable enough in a church before (too touchy, I don't like pretending to have beliefs that I don't have, and I'm not straight so that sense of 'judgement' is awkward feeling) to get into the sense of community though so I'm a bit at a loss for what that is like.
    It might be something I check out after they fix my head a bit and I can drive again (fingers crossed).
    It certainly sounds like the UU folks aren't the type to mind someone coming just to see what's up and check things out... without trying to suck you in and be pushy.
    Last edited by cori93437; 06-29-2012 at 10:12 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Hey Cori! Thanks! Here are a lot of thoughts, not in any particular order...

My UU supports a once-monthly cafe-meeting in the church for the LGBTQ (are we up to LGBTQ-UCIA, now? - you get the idea) and family and friends and supporters... I have never been to the meeting, but it has been a fixture for quite a while now

Thanks for your book path! - but I kind of was thinking along the lines of children's storybooks that specifically were written to formally deny the existence of a god. Kind of the atheists "indoctrination" answer to Jesus stories for kids. It was meant to be cute - I gotta' work on that humor thing of mine...

I am not much of a modern adult fiction reader. I have very specific lines in the sand that I personally cannot cross as far as content goes. I can deal with factual information just fine, and have a love of the classics and Great Books, but beyond that, I guess I have enough childhood stuff behind me that I don't care to read the "rougher" stuff, and have a hard time understanding how anyone could actually write it. This "line in the sand" of mine extends across all media, so watching TV with me is going to be BOOORING for a lot of folks.

Growing up, there were no books in the house. One, the folks were poor, and two, my dad had (and still has) the opinion that Book Learning is for assholes who can't do anything Real - like, work-with-their-hands-real. Funny here, because Dad was never successful as a "hand"yman either.

Being in central Texas for the elem years, I got picked up a lot by the Southern Baptist neighbors 'cause the parents didn't go to church. Mom and Dad didn't mind as my US extended family is traditionally Baptist (not anymore though - I don't think a one has stayed in the denomination, even though all are in various mainline Christian denominations today), which is weird because my dad would say things like "I will believe God is real when Jesus comes down and strikes my ass with a lightning bolt!" (verbatim quote) My mom is definitely a believer, German Lutheran, but somehow didn't go either. But, as you well know, those Southern Baptists are a determined bunch, so I got a Baptist education growing up. Favorite part - the ice cream socials! Worst part - I didn't earn the Who Has Learned All 5000 Scripture Verses Before Vacation Bible School Ends gift bible; I am competitive in some things and this childhood "failure" bothered my poor young soul for a while.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    1. Orthodox Quaker (100%)
    2. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (85%)
    3. Liberal Quakers (79%)

I wouldn't know how to explain the above matches to my mother, who is a very devout conservative Christian.

I feel that I can be in line with Primal and be Christian at the same time, just because I believe things are up to interpretation. The Bible was written based on a human's interpretation, so why should I believe literally what he said?

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    I think that a lot of the problem with religion in general isn't the creation myth. The problem is that it distorts people's perception of death and allows them to believe in their own immortality. The truth is that every one of us sooner or later will die and then most likely in our society either be burned into a pile of ash or cut up, half ass preserved and then buried a box. Once this happens we shall be no more and the world will continue on just as it did before we were born. All life must end so enjoy your share of life while it is yours to enjoy.
    So you're an athiest existentialist then?

. . . .

Anywho . . . I'm a Christian. Definitely believe in God, but also love science and believe in most of evolution. The biggest difference is that I believe rather than cosmic accident stumbling through space leading to humans I believe evolution is part of a brilliant design to our universe. I also find the science behind primal/paleo convincing and beyond the science it also aligns very well with my own lifestyle and values in terms of being a humane omnivore, trying live earth-friendly and enjoying the outdoors.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast