Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! page 5

Kariberry is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Yes, June, yes it was! LOL!

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by June68 View Post
    Just think of it as very slow natural selection. Eventually SAD will kill everyone at an earlier and earlier age. Didn't some study say that this coming generation on average won't live as long as the previous one? Too bad it just takes so long with some people. Like smoking, most of the time I wish it worked faster.
    Ahhh, how nice. Wishing death upon those that smoke or don't eat healthy. You seem like a great person.

You guys are acting like no one is healthy on a diet while eating whole grains and that you can't lose weight doing weight watchers or a conventional diet. This is completely wrong. Why don't you go to the gym and find the people that are in the best shape. Ask them what they eat. Most healthy people eat grains and lots of people that lose weight do so while eating grains. Stop acting like everyone else is stupid when primal is only one way (and not even necessarily a better way) to lose weight or be healthy in general.

Diets that restrict whole food groups can make many people binge on those forbidden foods. It is VERY common actually and that is why a lot of people can't follow the primal diet for long periods of time. That and it can definitely cause some social problems.

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    You guys are acting like no one is healthy on a diet while eating whole grains and that you can't lose weight doing weight watchers or a conventional diet. This is completely wrong. Why don't you go to the gym and find the people that are in the best shape. Ask them what they eat. Most healthy people eat grains and lots of people that lose weight do so while eating grains. Stop acting like everyone else is stupid when primal is only one way (and not even necessarily a better way) to lose weight or be healthy in general.

Diets that restrict whole food groups can make many people binge on those forbidden foods. It is VERY common actually and that is why a lot of people can't follow the primal diet for long periods of time. That and it can definitely cause some social problems.
    Not to sound like a zealot, but how many people do you know on the whole grains diet/Weight Watchers/CW diet that actually managed to keep it off for long periods of time? My mom's been on weight watchers for nearly 7 years now. It still hasn't gotten her the results she wants-she does chronic cardio, counts her food as points, and follows what weight watchers says-which they've changed what they say quite a few times in those 7 years.

Look at today's success story about the triathlete couple-those guys were doing crazy hard stuff the CW way, gained, lost, gained, lost, and didn't look super fit or healthy, yet they managed to do those things. Then they went Primal and they look absolutely amazing now-no one would question if they're healthy. Just because a person can look good in a gym doesn't mean their bodies are set up, in the long term, for good health.

If grains are really so good for us, than why is that so many of us find life without them better-and preferable-in most cases? If this was just some sort of stat or study, I'd grant you the large amount of doubt (and disdain) that you show for Primal but people are giving their real life experiences and those experiences bear out significant, positive change.

I'm not saying Primal's the only way-I'm saying it's the best. It's my opinion but it's one I'm firmly confident in based upon the experiences of the good people here, the experiences of the Primal people (few that they are) I know in my own life, and my own experience.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

June68 is offline Senior Member
    Ahhh, how nice. Wishing death upon those that smoke or don't eat healthy. You seem like a great person.
    I am, thanks!
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

Valerie61 is offline Junior Member
    An absolutely perfect use of the f-word!

Quote Originally Posted by trekfan View Post
    Not to sound like a zealot, but how many people do you know on the whole grains diet/Weight Watchers/CW diet that actually managed to keep it off for long periods of time? My mom's been on weight watchers for nearly 7 years now. It still hasn't gotten her the results she wants-she does chronic cardio, counts her food as points, and follows what weight watchers says-which they've changed what they say quite a few times in those 7 years.

Look at today's success story about the triathlete couple-those guys were doing crazy hard stuff the CW way, gained, lost, gained, lost, and didn't look super fit or healthy, yet they managed to do those things. Then they went Primal and they look absolutely amazing now-no one would question if they're healthy. Just because a person can look good in a gym doesn't mean their bodies are set up, in the long term, for good health.

If grains are really so good for us, than why is that so many of us find life without them better-and preferable-in most cases? If this was just some sort of stat or study, I'd grant you the large amount of doubt (and disdain) that you show for Primal but people are giving their real life experiences and those experiences bear out significant, positive change.

I'm not saying Primal's the only way-I'm saying it's the best. It's my opinion but it's one I'm firmly confident in based upon the experiences of the good people here, the experiences of the Primal people (few that they are) I know in my own life, and my own experience.
    There is a bit of a confirmation bias when it comes to reading the success stories on this website. If someone doesn't do well on primal they probably are going to stop visiting this site. Saying primal is the best is foolish. No one diet is the best for everyone. Primal is probably not ideal for high level athletes. I also think it can cause problems with people that are more prone to binge eating, as can any diet that restricts whole food groups.

primalhorsewoman is offline Junior Member
    There is a bit of a confirmation bias when it comes to reading the success stories on this website. If someone doesn't do well on primal they probably are going to stop visiting this site. Saying primal is the best is foolish. No one diet is the best for everyone. Primal is probably not ideal for high level athletes. I also think it can cause problems with people that are more prone to binge eating, as can any diet that restricts whole food groups.
    This holds true for "low-fat" diets, too... Restricting a whole food group! What about vegetarianism, which eliminates a whole food group (meat)? Veganism eliminates multiple food groups (meat, dairy, fish), yet CW "experts" rarely condemn those diets for being "restrictive.". The fact is, it is SOCIALLY acceptable to refuse to eat meat and demand soy burgers, or to refuse to eat a cake because it has exploited eggs in it, but it is NOT socially acceptable to refuse to eat a cake because it has grain in it. (Frankly, the vegans would be better off if they did binge on meat!)

Technically, all diets - or rather, Ways of Eating - are "restrictive." We all individually have things we Do. Not. Eat. I generally stay clear of poisons, for instance. So I restrict my intake of drain cleaner, hemlock, and GRAIN. Other people are more consciously tolerant of toxins, but restrict their intake of green vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by primalhorsewoman View Post
    This holds true for "low-fat" diets, too... Restricting a whole food group! What about vegetarianism, which eliminates a whole food group (meat)? Veganism eliminates multiple food groups (meat, dairy, fish), yet CW "experts" rarely condemn those diets for being "restrictive.". The fact is, it is SOCIALLY acceptable to refuse to eat meat and demand soy burgers, or to refuse to eat a cake because it has exploited eggs in it, but it is NOT socially acceptable to refuse to eat a cake because it has grain in it. (Frankly, the vegans would be better off if they did binge on meat!)

Technically, all diets - or rather, Ways of Eating - are "restrictive." We all individually have things we Do. Not. Eat. I generally stay clear of poisons, for instance. So I restrict my intake of drain cleaner, hemlock, and GRAIN. Other people are more consciously tolerant of toxins, but restrict their intake of green vegetables.
    Yes technically any diet is restrictive but it usually restricts things that the person doesn't like. No one is going to crave something they don't like, and if they do, they will probably just eat it without thinking about it until a binge happens.

I agree with you about low fat diets. They are usually too restrictive and lots of people end up bingeing on greasy food they aren't supposed to eat on the diet. That is why I think a balanced diet that includes all the foods you like, while staying within a calorie limit, and focusing on getting enough veggies and protein is the best diet for a lot of people. Even if primal is the healthiest way to eat (which I highly doubt), it would only help the people that can stick to it, which most people cannot. You could say "well anyone can stick to it, they just choose not to." But it might just be a lot easier and just as healthy to include some bread.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Even if primal is the healthiest way to eat (which I highly doubt), it would only help the people that can stick to it, which most people cannot. You could say "well anyone can stick to it, they just choose not to." But it might just be a lot easier and just as healthy to include some bread.
    If you're so cynical about this way of eating, why do you keep visiting this forum? Oh, I forgot, you've been asked that a thousand times already and don't have a good answer.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast