Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! page 4

Moochy is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    The thing is they ask me what I am doing, they are impressed by the results. So I tell them, simply and without jargon. it does not help, Dr Oz has been there and he is a Dr, what do I know compared to that? I will now tell people they dont want to know and walk away.

That made me laugh. My sister in-law is morbidly obese, absolutely loves her carbs. Was telling her about Sisson a few times and I guess she had heard enough. She came out at a family gathering and said "what do you know? YOU are not a doctor!"
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by June68 View Post
    That's true, but everyone has to come to this in their own way. Certainly I followed CW like a good little citizen. I didn't question. I blamed myself for my failure. I blamed old age. I blamed genetics. It took a long time for me to discover it was all bullshit. If anyone had preached to me, I don't think I would have changed until I wanted to. No one likes to be wrong.
    Well you are on the right track now. That's what counts.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochy View Post
    That made me laugh. My sister in-law is morbidly obese, absolutely loves her carbs. Was telling her about Sisson a few times and I guess she had heard enough. She came out at a family gathering and said "what do you know? YOU are not a doctor!"
    You could say, "I'm not a dr but I AM a scientist!"

A scientist, in a broad sense, is one engaging in a systematic activity to acquire knowledge. In a more restricted sense, a scientist is an individual who uses the scientific method. -Wikipedia
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    I hate people sometimes. They see me and the way my eating works, they see the weight I have lost and the health I have. They know I had diabetes and blood pressure issues but they would rather go on weight watchers or become a vegetarian because they have cholesterol problems. I show them the data, the studies, the findings, they see me and still they go oh no I cant do that, too much cholesterol is bad, all that meat is fattening and what will I do without bread and pasta, oh no I dont want to get sick from low blood sugar.

Does no one listen? People are so brain washed they cant see truth that is right in front of them. My best friend still says all this meat and fat is making me gain weight and going to give me heart problems.... I have lost 50 lbs in a cpl of months and I am going to get fat????? His ex wife says I am malnourished from lack of essential nutrients in grains.

Sigh, some days I think the plague would be a good idea, there is no hope for most people.
    Great news! The plague is making a triumphant return!

Kariberry is offline Member
    I feel your pain. I was recently telling someone at work what I've been doing, after being asked (because it ain't my first rodeo - I know better than to volunteer information about weight loss by now!). She said "aren't you afraid they're wrong and you could be ruining your heart?" I said, no, I wasn't because there was actual science to back it up, and I've read hours and hours worth of information ... blah blah... she said, "well, I don't know if it's worth the risk!" *sigh* Oh, ok, but you risk your health every day when you are drinking diet soda... taking diet pills...eating nothing but slim fast for weeks on end.... SURE... I'm the one risking my health!

June68 is offline Senior Member
    Must be so hard to not to yell at her - "you're eating fucking chemicals. I'm eating fucking food. There's a difference!"
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TorMag View Post
    Remember the Paleo Diet is a fad. Anything with the word diet in it is a fad. That is why people roll thier eyes when you talk about it. Eating healthy is not a fad. If you do need to preach, don't mention the words Paleo Diet, talk about healthy clean eating of natural whole foods.
    So true! The "diet" comment were her words. Made me want to dump dirt on her head and pull her hair again. *L*

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Warmbear;877393]The thing is they ask me what I am doing, they are impressed by the results. So I tell them, simply and without jargon. it does not help, Dr Oz has been there and he is a Dr, what do I know compared to that? I will now tell people they dont want to know and walk away.

You woudn't believe how many of my clients come in and say to me "Well Dr. Oz said" The best was when he promoted Agave Nectar. That was a fun week!

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    I hear you. I've lost 128 pounds in roughly 11 months doing Primal. I got asked by an older lady at my church, who's done every diet on the planet, how I lost all my weight. Told her the basics-forget bread and junk food-and she pretty much shut me out right there.

I've attempted to tell my siblings (all of them with pretty fast metabolisms...at least for now, ages 12, 15, and 21) about Primal. They don't care, and why should they-they're young, with fast metabolisms...but the body can only take so much abuse. I've attempted to tell my father, who after retiring from the Air Force in 2006, has put on quite a bit of weight. He's now the largest one in the house with his XL tshirts and his refusal to give up soda, junk food, or Italian. My mom's doing WW and they, though not perfect, at least understand a few of the Primal directives and so she gets it...sort of. She's at least trying to keep an open mind.

The thing is, as much as I want them to do Primal and find the benefits I have-better health, better sleep, better energy, and a better me-I know that they won't really listen. This time last year, I was there-for years my mother had tried to get me to eat healthier or do Weight Watchers with her, with my father poking fun every once and awhile to get it through my head...but it didn't work. I had been big since the third grade-that's when I started to be called "chunky" instead of what I was in the second grade, thin. I had been big in high school, took PE voluntarily three out of the four years I was there, ate salads, did it the CW way-but I did it half heartedly-because I felt forced into doing it.

There was no real urge in me to change. And then last summer, a dear friend of mine who had been telling me about Primal since late 2010 invited me to her place for the summer, and I saw with my own eyes how amazing she looked. That started the ball rolling and by the late July, I had reached my tipping point.

I've gone from morbidly obese to somewhat lean, and it's been amazing.

But I wish to God I had done it sooner or found it sooner so maybe I could have some clout with the people around me and help them see this way of life works and works well.

They will come when they're ready and the sad fact is some may never be ready. It sucks. It's stupid. It's infuriating.

Best advice I can give is to continue your own Primal journey and maybe, just maybe, they'll start to come around. My mom is trying after months...so there's hope if she can make the effort (an incredibly stubborn woman she is, love her to death though).
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

KatieCHI is offline Member
    I, too, feel your pain. I went to my mother's for a visit after my husband went from 240 to 175 on PB. At 6-foot, he's now feeling/looking great, but she pulled me aside and tried to have an intervention about how we are anorexic. (I'm 5'7" at 125 so... not). That night we ate giant steaks in front of her, but wouldn't eat the corn/cakes/sugary alcohol she served, so she still glared at us all weekend.
    Bonus round, though, her husband asked me about PB later when she wasn't around, so I zipped out and bought him a copy. Then gave it to him and a brown, confidential-type bag. It did kind of feel like contraband!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast