Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! page 2

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A lot of us go through an evangelical stage after we get good results and realise we have discovered some very important truths. I certainly did, as I was on an amazing high, which made me go over the top. This was completely futile.

Now if someone asks how I've lost the weight I'll point them in the right direction, and I've learnt to keep it simple. I always used to try to explain in detail all the main principles and list everything that's restricted, which made them run scared. So best not to mention the dairy and low carbs (because people automatically equate this with Atkins), so I just say that carbs have to be eaten in moderation, and you can eat lots of healthy fats, and it's about eating whole foods that our ancestors ate, and avoiding wholegrains, sugar and some vegetable oils. I also say that I've not had to be very strict about some elements and can eat white rice. I don't even mention anti-nutrients any more.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    I had a knock down drag out fight with my sister a couple weeks ago about my brother inlaw. He's been diagnosed with diverticulosis recently so I was telling him that he needs to get off the grains, add more fats and eat lots of protein. She thought I was trying to kill her husband!

The sad thing about it is that she's a nutritionist. She recently had to have her gall bladder removed. She said it because her body doesn't process fats and she now needs to increase her fiber more to be able to rid her body of the fats in foods... *smacks forehead* ya when you eat fricken margarine all the time!!

Oh! And then she called the Paleo diet a "fad". UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I love my sister but sometimes she can drive me up the wall!!!
    Last edited by Iron Will; 06-22-2012 at 11:53 AM.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    No, please start. I love it when others vent.
    I could go on and on...

My sister's fiancee has severe muscle mass issues. To the point that doctors and nutritionists have expressed concern about it. Her fiancee, as I said is a vegan. Her fiancee was told to eat more protein. I made the polite suggestion that this might be the time to reconsider the vegan diet and add some eggs, dairy, and maybe even meat into the mix.

My sister IMMEDIATELY got on my case for being "an insensitive jerk." I was politely told that meat is out of the question, can I please drop it, her fiancee has done nothing to address the problem but double-down on the soy burgers and tofu. Her fiancee is also only 28 and already showing signs of arthritis and SEVERE inflammation. Of course, with the high level of omega-6 fats in soy (surpasses even the amount in nuts I've been told), I am not surprised to hear this.

So it's self-perpetuating in a way. Her fiancee eats the soy to up protein intake, which ups omega-6 levels and increases inflammation.

It's so HARD for me to watch my sister's loved one do this. Her fiancee is literally falling apart but still clings to the reality that being a vegan is the "healthiest way to live."

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post
    I had a knock down drag out fight with my sister a couple weeks ago about my brother inlaw. He's been diagnosed with diverticulosis recently so I was telling him that he needs to get off the grains, add more fats and eat lots of protein. She thought I was trying to kill her husband!

The sad thing about it is that she's a nutritionist. She recently had to have her gall bladder removed. She said it because her body doesn't process fats and she now needs to increase her fiber more to be able to rid her body of the fats in foods... *smacks forehead* ya when you eat fricken margarine all the time!!

Oh! And then she called the Paleo diet a "fad". UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I love my sister but sometimes she can drive me up the wall!!!
    Remember the Paleo Diet is a fad. Anything with the word diet in it is a fad. That is why people roll thier eyes when you talk about it. Eating healthy is not a fad. If you do need to preach, don't mention the words Paleo Diet, talk about healthy clean eating of natural whole foods.
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    It's so HARD for me to watch my sister's loved one do this. Her fiancee is literally falling apart but still clings to the reality that being a vegan is the "healthiest way to live."
    It's not your problem. He will need to have his own wake up call, and it won't come from you.
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, but her fiancee is putting my sister through a fair amount of stress worrying about all the doctors bills now and making sure her loved one stays healthy. Ugh! Hard to watch, like I said.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    I hate people sometimes. They see me and the way my eating works, they see the weight I have lost and the health I have. They know I had diabetes and blood pressure issues but they would rather go on weight watchers or become a vegetarian because they have cholesterol problems. I show them the data, the studies, the findings, they see me and still they go oh no I cant do that, too much cholesterol is bad, all that meat is fattening and what will I do without bread and pasta, oh no I dont want to get sick from low blood sugar.

Does no one listen? People are so brain washed they cant see truth that is right in front of them. My best friend still says all this meat and fat is making me gain weight and going to give me heart problems.... I have lost 50 lbs in a cpl of months and I am going to get fat????? His ex wife says I am malnourished from lack of essential nutrients in grains.

Sigh, some days I think the plague would be a good idea, there is no hope for most people.
    Most people are completely ignorant about nutrition. One thing I have found is that people will hear something on a morning talk show or something similar from some "expert" and for some reason or another will accept it at face value, rattle off the BS whenever the subject comes up, yet will have no other answer when asked about it other than "oh, I just know its true."

Meat doesn't make you fat and grains are not essential for nutrients...those two statements are extremely stupid. BUT, on the other hand, lots of people have success on weight watchers and similar diets so you aren't really in the right by telling them your diet is better.

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    Do you ever get mad with those close to you because they are abusing their bodies like that and YOU arebthe one who has to take care of them. I think if a son/daughter is told by their parent they are responsible to take care of them when they get old, then that son/daughter has the right to demand them eat a certain way or else no deal!
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

mrquick42 is offline Junior Member
    Reminds me of one of my favorite Ron Swanson quotes from "Parks and Recreation" where he says "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He's a grown man. And fishing's not that hard."

My point being that for most people they have to truly be in a place mentally where they are willing to accept change rather than more conventional wisdom BS. If they aren't willing to open their mind even slightly to something outside of the CW box then any effort to give them non-conventional information is probably close to useless. None of the information regarding the benefits of eating less processed junk and sugar, the lipid hypothesis, lower-carb diets, exercise, etc that many of us learned from this and other similar sites (as well as personal trial-and-error) is rocket science. But it is far enough outside of the CW-mainstream thinking that you have to spend some time researching it and unlearning the CW BS that would keep most people from committing to it.

None of the info is hard to find. Everyone who has ever wanted to lose weight has probably at least heard of Atkins and if they had the slightest inclination to do anything outside of the CW box they would have at least Googled Atkins or low-carb, and that could have put them on the right track. But very few people want to put in the effort. They want a magic solution. The same principle applies to people visiting their doctor and getting put on powerful drugs for various diseases. They take what the Doctor gives them and ask no questions. An intelligent person who really cared about their health would pick their doctor's brain, and then go home and spend days reading everything they could find about the condition before deciding what to do about treatment. The average person just stops at the pharmacy on their way home and starts taking the drugs. It's sad.

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    The thing is they ask me what I am doing, they are impressed by the results. So I tell them, simply and without jargon. it does not help, Dr Oz has been there and he is a Dr, what do I know compared to that? I will now tell people they dont want to know and walk away.

My sanity will be better for it but when my mother in law dies of heart/diabetes/cholesterol issues, my wife will be crushed. I can help her but I cant force her.

She wont eat the salmon skin or the fat on a roast pork but she will eat 5 chocolate danishes for Sunday brunch and she gets upset as she gains weight.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast