Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For those who eat small meals page 3

Wrenwood is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Geo, don't know if it will help or not but sometimes I just have a tablespoon of coconut oil + coconut manna if I feel like I want food before bed. I hear you on the BC pills!

Tarnip, I totally agree with your approach. Tweaks (I'm not talking major departures from primal basics) that work for one person may not work for another. One person's large meal is another's small one. I seem to do fine with a little whole fat dairy, some need to avoid it entirely. A healthy person building muscle has different requirements than a person recovering from some big systemic insult, etc.

My personal opinion is that the forum gives an opportunity to find out what works for others, share ideas and get inspired to live well. I don't take anyone's comments as mandates, nor of course are mine meant to be.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57034.html

"...since our orthodox theories have not saved us we may have to readjust them to bring them into harmony with Nature's laws. Nature must be obeyed, not orthodoxy." Weston A. Price

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    I'm trying to find ways to avoid the junk. I've found myself eating a lot of junk lately, especially with my health issues. It seems as if every time I take 1 step forward, something happens and I fall back by 2 steps. I haven't been allowed to workout
    I do know you can't give up. I had things this week that I shouldn't have, but I made a conscious decision to have it. We can't always do exercise for whatever reason, but we can make the decision about what we eat. And from what I have read, it is 80% nutrition. So we just have to become our own science experiment and see what works for us. The scale wasn't my friend this week, but I know things are moving around and looking better, so while it didnt move favorably, I know it could not have been fat. After I posted earlier, I remembered that I also didnt IF like I normally do. I ended up eating breakfast some days, and that probably set up my hunger for the entire day. I also didn't CT any this week. And not taking my supplements, well I just think I do better when I take them.

So I did learn lots this week, and giving up is not an option. You can NOT give up
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Major health scare this week, still feeling shaky and don't trust my body anymore. It actually had me to the point where I wanted to not go back to work at all after this happened. When it happened, my doctor told me not to workout for about a week so tomorrow I can start back to working out. I sort of feel as if I take one step forward with things and then I fall 2 steps back. I know that losing weight is going to be nearly impossible for me now with going back on the pill. I lost a bunch of weight 6 years ago eating small meals and am thinking about going back to that minus the grains. I finally have found a doctor that is saying that what I am going through isn't normal and wants to talk about taking of the matter.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    The Zone teaches you how to put meals together based on balanced ratios of carbs and proteins. You can add extra fats as needed.

Wrenwood is offline Senior Member
    Georgette, sorry to hear you're having such troubles. From one (former) Buckeye to another, let me know if I can help.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57034.html

"...since our orthodox theories have not saved us we may have to readjust them to bring them into harmony with Nature's laws. Nature must be obeyed, not orthodoxy." Weston A. Price

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    I'd like to come in and say yes i do eat a few smaller meals per day rather than the 3 or even only 2. i feel far too icky full and tired after eating huge meals - even sans grains. i find grazing small amounts per day works better for me. i don't get tired, bloated, sick feeling or get heartburn. i still get my breakfast, lunch, dinner. but much smaller ratios and sizes than i see of people posting in here. two snacks inbetween. i have a small child that eats 3 meals plus 2 snacks per day i find it easier also to prepare food for both of us as she likes eating with me and not on her own. i think everyone can adapt this lifestyle to fit their own needs.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    am curious as to how anybody's doctor can "force" them to go on the pill? i realize for some it's not a problem, but is the doc holding a gun to your head? you're dreading doing it and it will only upset any hormonal cues that are already off-kilter anyway.

i work weird hours too, in a restaurant. 3 days a week, i am up by 7:30, out the door by 8:15 and not back home until 11-12 midnight. most of those days, i do not get a break, do not sit down. i eat in a few minutes, while standing. the other days are shorter, but not short, by any means. this kind of shift work and interrupted circadian rhythms can accelerate cortisol production, which causes the body to store fat. keep that in mind too and do your best to rest.

personally, i come from a background of ed and disordered eating so mostly i just eat twice a day. i can't handle planning or thinking about having to eat 6 times. work days i eat around 11 and then again around 5. that's it. even on off-days, i keep a similar window.

do what works for you.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    just as a general reminder: the cw advice to graze and eat lots of small meals came about right when the usda began recommending high-carb diets. it was an absolute necessity to keep insulin in check, or it would dip too low and cause issues. back in the day it was 3 squares, no snacks.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Bump!

So i'm looking at eating about 4 times a day tops, due to digestive issues. I've unfortunately got gastroparesis, which basically doesn't allow me to fully thrive on primal. I've done some damage to my metabolism and im rather pissed with myself. It all came about trying heal inflammation and fix my gut, which initially i thought i was doing. I over did the meat and fat though and basically feared carbs due reading diets like gaps and stuff which proclaim carbs feed bad bacteria. It made sense.

But, fat and meat digest considerably slower than simple carbs, not what you want with gastroparesis which is a paralyzed stomach and emptys slower.

Enough about that, my question is, are there any tradeoffs with eating more regularly during the day? I'm guessing stuff like more insulin spikes, might not be favourable. Is there any official word on the, perhaps, negatives of eating more regularly throughout the day?

oxide is offline Senior Member
    The problem is that 6 meals a day is what the "clean eating healthy SAD" eaters do. That is, 6 meals of sugary yogurt, 1/2 whole grain bagel, baggie of fruit, small salad with sugary dressing, 100-calorie pack crackers, that type of food. They don't know this, but they are eating every 2-3 hours because their hunger is actually a symptom of withdrawl from addictive wheat. They just accepted the 2-3 hour interval to satisfy, rationalize, and justify that hunger.

In other words, it's not the number of meals that's the problem, it's WHAT you're eating during the meal that makes you need to eat more often. So, as long as you're eating primal stuff, I see nothing wrong with 5-6 half-meals.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast