Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need some gut flora page

sbhikes is online now Senior Member

I need some gut flora

Shop Now
    I need to get me some better gut flora. I think I don't have enough or the ones I have are falling down on the job. I want to try to find capsules rather than liquid drinks so that the flora can survive my stomach and get into my intestines. My question is, what organisms should I look for on the label?

I don't care about brand names since when I go to the store there's hardly ever the same brands on the shelves. I just want to know what bacterias to look for.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Just eat truckloads of sauerkraut like I do and toss some raw cheese in the diet every once in a while. Bingo, problem solved.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Why do you think you need better gut flora?
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    I have read you really need the 10+ billion CFUs to be of any good, but a quick look around doesn't get me any links for you.

I read the Gut Sense website and have a lot of the worst symptoms. He suggests that any bacteria you eat doesn't survive the stomach. I need them to get into my intestines and go to work so things run more smoothly. I eat vegetables every day. I don't eat a lot of fermented things. I definitely despise sauerkraut.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    I don't take anything in capsule form but I do drink quite a bit of Kombucha. I know you said you don't want to drink anything though. My sister in law had digestive issues, I turned her on to Kombucha and it helped. Not sure if it would help you though...
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

cma77 is offline Member
    If you want things to "run more smoothly" I think a Lactobacillus based probiotic is your best bet. I use Culturelle Digestive Health and it'll clean you out especially if you start off aggressively and take two per day to ramp things up. It's also got the prebiotic inulin to help the probiotic take hold. It's not necessarily cheap but it's readily available in dugstores or online and it's good "starter" probiotic that you can stay with longterm or go with something different if it doesn't work.

It's not that I don't want to drink fermented dairy drinks, it's just that according to the gutsense website, your stomach acids just kill all the bacteria before they can get to your intestines. The little probiotic drinks they sell are super expensive and I don't want to waste my money if they actually aren't that effective.

I didn't realize you needed such a pedestrian bacteria and not super exotic ones. I will look for lactobacillus on the label when I go to the store.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I definitely despise sauerkraut.
    Ok then, kimchi, pickles, kombucha, umeboshi plums, almost any fermented vegetable, kefir, any raw dairy product...

You can even make your own lacto-fermented foods at home! Lots of options. Don't limit yourself just because you dislike one particular food.

cma77 is offline Member
    I think fermented foods to maintain healthy gut flora is a good idea but if you have some "issues" that need addressing than the quickest and most cost effective to attempt to find relief would be a supplement. It would take A LOT of fermented foods/drinks to equal the probiotics in a supplement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast