Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need some gut flora page 3

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If bacteria did not survive the stomach then humans would have absolutely no bacteria in their gut! Unless you run around sticking lots of things up the other end then it's all come in through your stomach to get there in the first place, and humans had gut bacteria long before the invention of rectal thermometers...
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    I don't remember which specifically, but I searched and was really impressed with PB 8 at vitacost.com. check it out, and you can see the winners on there. variety is important. L. rhamnosus and L. Reuteri (not in PB 8) were two that i read about recently, very important for preventing gut infections of salmonella, rotavirus, and e. coli.

the gut is colonized at birth and different populations increase/decrease based on what you eat. obviously it's more complex than that, but there's the start. some studies are showing that specific bacteria make it through the stomach and colonize the upper intestine without special coating on the pills.
    Last edited by Saoirse; 06-22-2012 at 08:40 PM.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Hey cool. I found some probiotics that have all those bacteria you list in enteric capsules. Jarrow brand. I hope this works. And if it gives me a mood boost, all the better. I've been pretty crabby lately.
    Which one? I could use a mood boost myself.....

ETA -think i found it....
    Last edited by jammies; 06-22-2012 at 10:30 PM.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    The one bit of takeaway advice from what I have read about probiotics is to get the refrigerated kind. Chances are that room temperature supplements will be inactive and ineffective.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    I've found some great info on this site

Cooling Inflammation

And it seems to confirm that a lot of bacteria do make it through the stomach....

Valerie61 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks sbhikes, for letting me know about the Jarrow brand. I'm gonna check it out!!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    The kind I got said specifically on the package that it does not need refrigeration and therefore is good for traveling. Do you remember sea monkeys? They were like dehydrated little brine shrimp. Add water and they came to life. I think it's quite possible to do the same with bacteria.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    The kind I got said specifically on the package that it does not need refrigeration and therefore is good for traveling. Do you remember sea monkeys? They were like dehydrated little brine shrimp. Add water and they came to life. I think it's quite possible to do the same with bacteria.
    I hatch brine shrimp all the time for my reef... they do fine.

Some bacteria can create spores and encapsulate themselves and travel through the vacuum of space just fine... never doubt the bacteria!
    HowStuffWorks Videos "It Came From Outer Space: Bacteria in Space"
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Style is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Ok then, kimchi, pickles, kombucha, umeboshi plums, almost any fermented vegetable, kefir, any raw dairy product...
    Doesn't yogurt, even the pasteurized variety, have bacteria?

meeme is offline Senior Member
    This may be an off the wall question but why don't they make probiotic suppositories? I know they're doing research on fecal implants...just a thought, it would be more direct and avoid the stomach.
    A Woman's Place Is In The Revolution.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast