Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need some gut flora page 2

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Oh, and Kombucha is fermented tea, not a dairy drink. It gets carbonated from the fermentation, much like soda. Some people here have used it to quit the soda.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Look for probiotic pills that are 'enteric coated', these supposedly withstand the stomach acids and don't dissolve until they hit the right place.

That being said, I've been following the recommendations from Fiber Menace, took a bunch of the supplements from the Gut Sense website, and had great improvements with my IBS. I supplemented with both probiotic pills and fermented/cultured foods and kombucha, making it an all-out assault. I've read conflicting information about the probiotics being destroyed/not being destroyed in the stomach acid, so I wouldn't rule out fermented foods/drinks unless you really can't stand them. I think it's plausible they do have some benefits.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    As you're not keen on fermented foods, some vegetables and fruit with probiotic factors present a better choice. These include the onion family, artichokes and bananas.

I find leeks especially beneficial and that they have a very detectable calming effect on my guts.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Also, there are several foods that increase the secretion of stomach acids that will DRASTICALLY speed up digestion which I have found to be extremely helpful in eliminating "digestive distress."

Three examples are:

1) Yerba Mate. Brew this into a tea and take it. It's been said to speed digestion and most people I know who have taken it have said it's helped with IBS and keeping them "regular."

2) Ginger. You can eat it straight, add it to meals, or brew a tea out of it. It has been known to calm upset stomachs and has been said t be more effective than most medicines. It also speeds gastric emptying due to balancing out stomach acid levels.

3) Peppermint. Basically, has a similar effect as Ginger. Many have said it has the ability to regulate stomach acid levels as well, which obviously assists in digestion and regularity.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    In mouse studies, all you have to do is put a mouse in cage with another mouse and you will spread the gut bacteria from one to the other. Granted, they are crawling around on each others poop all day, but I think the route of spread is oral. So at least some gut bacteria must be able to survive the process.

Also, I think some of the early Fecal transplant studies were done by the oral route - I'll have to do some searching to confirm - but that would also suggest that some bacteria survive the stomach.

I have always heard good things about the garden of life probiotics. They didn't work as well for me as Kefir and Kombucha did, but lots of people seem to like them.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Look for probiotic pills that are 'enteric coated', these supposedly withstand the stomach acids and don't dissolve until they hit the right place.
    Awesome! Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    In mouse studies, all you have to do is put a mouse in cage with another mouse and you will spread the gut bacteria from one to the other.
    Ew. If that is true for humans, I definitely do NOT want whatever the heck my partner has. I don't think he's ever had a solid bowel movement, from what I can hear.

I'm not against fermented things (just saurkraut). I just wanted to get a little bit more bang for the buck. I love artichokes, bananas and onions. Eat them often (plantains, too.)
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I agree that the enteric coated pills are a much better option than the high-sugar probiotic drinks.

If your aim is to promote regular bowel movements, fitness hula hooping can help stimulate that. It's fun too.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

tcseacliff is offline Senior Member
    kefir is awesome for your got. great daily probiotic.

Valerie61 is offline Junior Member
    It's interesting that you mention gut flora. I have read 3 articles from scientific studies in the last week that mentioned three types of flora that actually provide a mood-enhancing effect on the brain (via the vagus nerve). I have a question in to Mark about his feeling on this issue, and if he approves, what types of probiotics might be best. The three types of flora that have been shown to have this effect are Lactobacillus helveticus, Bifidobacterium longum, and Lactobacillus rhamnosus. I do not know if other flora also affect mood. One study postulated that if this pans out, usage of probiotics might be either an adjunct to mood-enhancing medications (as in anti-depressants), or even a replacement for them in some people.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey cool. I found some probiotics that have all those bacteria you list in enteric capsules. Jarrow brand. I hope this works. And if it gives me a mood boost, all the better. I've been pretty crabby lately.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast