Thread: Can some Primal experts define "In Moderation"? How much is enough... page

osuivan is offline Junior Member

Can some Primal experts define "In Moderation"? How much is enough...

Primal Fuel
    Sorry if this has been asked, but I did a search and found nothing...

Just a little back story about me, my fiancee and I started primal back in January to lose some weight for the wedding, and it worked really well for me, I lost weight and had tons of energy, but her being a teacher she had some issues sticking with it. She had a REALLY bad class last year, bad enough that she moved to the training side of the school system to not teach, and had a hard time not stress eating 'bad' snacks that parents always brought in for the kids. So being the good guy that I am, I went her as she started doing weight watchers after doing Primal for almost 2 months.

Now that school is out and we noticed WW is not about eating healthy just losing weight (which is ok for some people) I mentioned going back to primal hoping she would give it another try because I felt GREAT when doing it. She agreed it's the most logical 'diet' out there.

Since going back to primal a few weeks ago I have lost 16 lbs (I have lost 47 lbs total since january on primal/weight watchers), she gained 3 then lost 2. She swears she's not cheating which I believe, because she's a really bad liar and I could always tell when she cheated the past 6 months. The only thing that I can think of is that she's eating to much almonds and fruit. Which are ok to eat "in moderation", but she's not going crazy eating them, that I can tell.

So my question to you guys is, how much is to much? Is there a definition of "in moderation" on the primal blue print that I just can't remember in the book?

Sorry for the long post, I hope you guys have a quick friday at work!!

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    All the dieting will eventually wreck her thyroid then she'll plateau or gain. Moderation is a CW concept; most weight loss is based on CW concepts. Good luck trying to figure it out. Hint: PUFA & thyroid.

osuivan is offline Junior Member
    She's been tested for thyroid with in the last year, and it was clear. I forgot to mention that she's going to another person today to see if there's some thing else that's preventing the weight loss. Even though I'm not sold on what in the heck he does, she said that he looks at your feet and hands and some how can tell... something I don't know. She's getting it for free from a friend, so I can't question it to much.

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    It's also fairly possible to overeat meats and saturated fats, no ?
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Leida is offline Senior Member
    if she is a woman trying to lose weight and can't, a cup of fruit a couple of times a week or no fruit. With nuts, only use them if a recipe calls for a handful (like in a salad) and no more than once a week. Do not use either as a snack. Use sardines, boiled eggs, tuna, celery, coconut oil an similar for snacks, i.e. things that do not make eating into a pleasurable proposition, but a utility ONLY. The least you like the particular food, the better it is as a snack. Many of us, womenfolk, don't do well on Primal, and do better on paleo (i.e. fat at 25-40% rather than >60%. So, no bacon, pork rinds, crackling, cut the visible fat off, cook with what fat is in the meat etc. If she hadn't done it before, eliminating dairy for a month or so and seeing if dairy has any impact is a good idea.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    All the dieting will eventually wreck her thyroid then she'll plateau or gain. Moderation is a CW concept; most weight loss is based on CW concepts. Good luck trying to figure it out. Hint: PUFA & thyroid.
    The concept of moderation is not a CW idea, but the worse poisons, even in moderation, should be outside the scope of the oft mis-cited "80/20 rule."

The concept of dieting is a CW idea though, and I agree with fiercehunter* that it's a bad idea in the long-run.

*never thought I'd say it

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    I guess it's different for different folks.

As a 40+ yr old man who lifts heavy, sprints and swims everyday, I consider 10 whole almonds and a handful of blueberries a moderate amount.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    They are very high in calories so no more than a small handful of nuts. Although many here have found if you want to get those last pounds off nuts and dairy should be eliminated.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This isn't a diet.

If by "what is moderation" you mean "how far can she stray from the Blueprint and still see success" there is no single answer that you're going to like.

Eat real, clean, unprocessed foods, and find ways to deal with stress besides eating.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes