Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any boxers out there? page

Evbois is offline Junior Member

Any boxers out there?

Primal Fuel
    Hi,
    Just switched over to a modified (and soon to be 100%, I hope) primal diet and I box fairly seriously several times week, supplemented by running and weight lifting. I can manage the running and weights on my new diet, but I find that sustaining my energy during boxing workouts is trying. I get pretty light headed, prob a combination of fuel, the heat of the gym, etc. I don't usually eat before I work out but wondering if there's a magic bullet/snack that I might consider 30 mins or so before I train. I'm up at 5:30am and run to my gym, so my workout starts just after 6am. (Not much of an early morning eater, which is why it's posing a problem)
    Thanks!

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    You could try » Recipe: How to Make Your Coffee Bulletproof…And Your Morning Too The Bulletproof Executive

That should be enough fat to get you through your training.
    I know what it's like to try and train with a full stomach when you are used to NOT training that way. It's sorta agonizing. The coffee might do the trick. Use decaf (or half caf/decaf) if you are worried about how the caffeine might effect your training as well.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Evbois is offline Junior Member
    Woah, that looks nuts! I don't usually drink more than a cup of coffee so perhaps I'd try it halved, but I still haven't wrapped my brain around all this butter eating (not that I need any incentives. I love butter) Thanks!

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Yeah - cutting it in half might be a good idea to start. It is "weird," for lack of a better term, the first time you try it.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Seriously, don't use decaf. That stuff is full of toxins, usually solvents from extraction, and always histamines or mycotoxins from using poor quality beans to make decaf. Decaf hurts performance.

We have a couple powerlifters (1 world champion) and a couple MMA fighters who are on Bulletproof Upgraded Coffee as part of their regimen, but no boxers I'm aware of.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Evbois View Post
    Hi,
    Just switched over to a modified (and soon to be 100%, I hope) primal diet and I box fairly seriously several times week, supplemented by running and weight lifting. I can manage the running and weights on my new diet, but I find that sustaining my energy during boxing workouts is trying. I get pretty light headed, prob a combination of fuel, the heat of the gym, etc. I don't usually eat before I work out but wondering if there's a magic bullet/snack that I might consider 30 mins or so before I train. I'm up at 5:30am and run to my gym, so my workout starts just after 6am. (Not much of an early morning eater, which is why it's posing a problem)
    Thanks!
    My football coach when we used to run, do plyometrics, and lift weights from 6-7:30 before school always said "Invest in some bananas." I'll say the same thing to you. One, you want some fruit to hydrate and give basic carbs to fuel yourself in the short term. Two, bananas digest quite quickly, so they would be more ideal if you need something soon before working out.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evbois View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks!
    I box as well, and I was hoping to find other boxers on here.
    I haven't been primal for very long, and I'm in that beginners adjustment phase, still trying to figure out what's going to work best for me, but what I've been doing is having some fruit about 45 min. before my boxing training, and a sweet potato afterwards, along with other veggies and meat.
    I'm not shying away from fruit and starchy carbs at this point because, as you know, boxing training pretty much obliterates the fruit sugar and starches from veggies and sweet potatoes. I used to eat a ton of grains to fuel my training and recovery, and even with all of those carbs, I still lost a lot of weight. I'm hoping that primal carb sources will be enough for me.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
    I box as well, and I was hoping to find other boxers on here.
    I haven't been primal for very long, and I'm in that beginners adjustment phase, still trying to figure out what's going to work best for me, but what I've been doing is having some fruit about 45 min. before my boxing training, and a sweet potato afterwards, along with other veggies and meat.
    I'm not shying away from fruit and starchy carbs at this point because, as you know, boxing training pretty much obliterates the fruit sugar and starches from veggies and sweet potatoes. I used to eat a ton of grains to fuel my training and recovery, and even with all of those carbs, I still lost a lot of weight. I'm hoping that primal carb sources will be enough for me.
    are you the "counterpuncher" on rosstraining.com?

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Yep.
    I decided to give it an honest go and see how it works out for me.
    I tried it before, but it was a half-assed effort on my part. My girlfriend is doing it, and feeling much better, so I decided that the only way to really know is to be openminded and give it a fair chance.
    Even though it's only been a week, it's been good, and I feel better.
    I boxed earlier today, and my punches were crisp, not forced. I felt like my body was working with me, not against me, and I felt like I could breathe easier and recover quicker between rounds. I had plenty of energy, and was still hitting hard at the end of my session. And I don't feel like I want to eat everything in the house.
    I'm cautiously optimistic, but so far I've been pleasantly surprised at the positive changes that I'm feeling so far, and I'm eager to see where this way of eating will take my training, and overall well-being.
    Good to see you here.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    nice. welcome. good to see you here too.

i'm glad to see that you aren't jumping right in to the low-carb paleo thing. it's not for everyone, and more than likely not for someone who is very active and regularly boxes. i'm sure there are people out there who would disagree, but there are a ton of very active athletes on this site who simply crashed doing the low carb thing and have found their way back to eating sweet potatoes, potatoes, plenty of fruit, and even white rice. some people do moderate carbs all the time. some do high carb on heavy workout days and low on rest days, and i personally simply alternate days of the week. you'll find your way. there are some very helpful and knowledgeable people on this forum, and a ton of people who aren't knowledgeable or helpful. good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast