Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any boxers out there? page 2

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Thanks.
    I scaled back my conditioning routine a wee bit while my body is adjusting to the switch. Dropped back to 2/3 of my normal volume, and will ramp back up to full volume (in small steps) over the course of the next two weeks.
    What part of jersey do you live in? (it's cool if you'd rather not say).
    Last edited by counterpuncher; 07-24-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    As a very active person who's also into martial arts, my advice is, like others have said, carbs, carbs, carbs and more carbs. Bananas, plantains, potatoes, sweet potatoes, fruits, dried fruits, it all helps. You can play with timing as much as you like, but not with quantity (don't go low-carb).

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    As a very active person who's also into martial arts, my advice is, like others have said, carbs, carbs, carbs and more carbs. Bananas, plantains, potatoes, sweet potatoes, fruits, dried fruits, it all helps. You can play with timing as much as you like, but not with quantity (don't go low-carb).
    Also don't skimp on quality, and keep in mind that we're talking non-toxic (or a hell of a lot less toxic, everything is "toxic" if you're a dumbass about it) sources, so that still means no breads, pastas, etc for the most part (I'd be lying my ass off if I said I NEVER eat those things - but I eat them strictly in social settings where I'm in don't-give-a-fuck mode, depending on the source, there's usually hell to pay - pasta gives me headaches so I'm mostly talking bread)

so yeah, stick to potatoes, WHITE rice (none of that brown shit, which by the way is disgusting, too bad people think its healthier) squashes, fruits, etc. Personally, white rice and taters are it for me. I'm not much for fruit, bananas loosen my bowels so those are out (sadly). Good thing I'm hispanic and love white rice!

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Train Krav Maga 4 times a week (5 hours total) and I don't feel low-carb has hurt me at all. The key is finding what works best for you.

TrPAssasin is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evbois View Post
    Hi,
    Just switched over to a modified (and soon to be 100%, I hope) primal diet and I box fairly seriously several times week, supplemented by running and weight lifting. I can manage the running and weights on my new diet, but I find that sustaining my energy during boxing workouts is trying. I get pretty light headed, prob a combination of fuel, the heat of the gym, etc. I don't usually eat before I work out but wondering if there's a magic bullet/snack that I might consider 30 mins or so before I train. I'm up at 5:30am and run to my gym, so my workout starts just after 6am. (Not much of an early morning eater, which is why it's posing a problem)
    Thanks!
    When you say "Boxing workout" do you mean boxing for competition or fitness?

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    I would:

1) have a decent but not excessive amount of carbs the night before or after your last workout of the day before. Use an amount you can measure (100g-200g, 1 whole potato, 1 bowl or rice, etc)
    2) go to the gym on an empty stomach or on some black coffee or green tea (caffiene helps turn blood triglycerides into free fatty acids which you can then use for fuel). If you don't take any caffeine, you'll use more liver glycogen and could possibly deplete it without enough carbs, which could lower your endurance
    3) If you didn't pass out, repeat for the next day without adding carbs. You've found a good base amount of carbs to consume before your training.
    4) If you felt like passing out, repeat for the next day but add 50g carbs as needed.

If you lose too much weight, add more carbs. As usual, the clean kind as per Iniquity. Also, try it for a month or two and see where your mood is. If you feel like crap, add more carbs. You want to regularly restore your muscle glycogen stores to full or near full for boxing workouts.

I'm of the mindset these days that guys who engage in regular, intense physical activity that involves an endurance component of some sort would need more carbs than the normal Grokkologist.

Oh yeah, good fats, protein, yadda yadda
    Last edited by pacificBeef; 08-29-2012 at 01:14 AM.
    Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

amerikian is offline Junior Member
    I'm very active in mixed martial arts, basketball, sprints, and strength training. I just heard about MCT Oil and am going to start taking that before and after my MMA classes when I feel I'll need additional energy. The MCT Oil seems like a great energy source vs. carbs. I'm VLC and can hang in my 1.5 hour MMA class but definately start to run out of energy but push through it. Once my MCT Oil arrives from Amazon.com I'll be upping my oil intake. For now I'll be chugging some coconut oil before and after while maintaining my VLC Priial Diet. Haven't passed out yet....
    SW (207lbs) 8/1/2012
    CW (188lbs)
    Primal Since 8/1/2102

Bike commute to work 20 miles/day ~ rain, shine, or snow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12