Thread: Low Carb No Acne page

dynamik is offline Junior Member

Low Carb No Acne

Shop Now
    I'm a teenager suffering from acne and I have recently cut out carbs from my diet and have seen lots of improvement in my acne. My meals have been fish/meat and vegetables 3/4 times a day. I have been avoiding fruit as it makes me bloated and I only seem to crave more when I have it; apples cause this especially.

I have tried just eating potatoes or sweet potatoes or rice with meals but no matter what the carb intake guarantees a breakout for me.

I wouldn't mind eating this way as my energy levels seem to be fine but I do weight lift 4x a week and I have read that it isn't a good idea to workout while going low carb. Some explanation regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone have any ideas about what I could do?

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    I workout 3 times per week (+1, I do sprints when I can). And I'm low carb. Strength is not affected, nor is resistance (except maybe if I were doing cardio, which anyway I do not do anymore).
    If your metabolism made the switch to the fat-burning paradigm, you should have no issues at all. Otherwise you may feel tired and that's perfectly understandable... but that's just the first times.

Also, don't be afraid to workout in fasting state. Eat at noon and do weightlifting at 7pm. Like me, you'll be surprised how much crap they taught us in the gyms (you'll go into starving mode, you'll be eating your muscles, hypoglycemia, must drink gator4de and eat BCAAs...).

Quote Originally Posted by primal_alex View Post
    I workout 3 times per week (+1, I do sprints when I can). And I'm low carb. Strength is not affected, nor is resistance (except maybe if I were doing cardio, which anyway I do not do anymore).
    If your metabolism made the switch to the fat-burning paradigm, you should have no issues at all. Otherwise you may feel tired and that's perfectly understandable... but that's just the first times.

Also, don't be afraid to workout in fasting state. Eat at noon and do weightlifting at 7pm. Like me, you'll be surprised how much crap they taught us in the gyms (you'll go into starving mode, you'll be eating your muscles, hypoglycemia, must drink gator4de and eat BCAAs...).
    Yea I was tired for the first few days while limiting my carbs but I've upped my fat intake a little a bit and am now starting to feel good. I'm going to keep working out and see how I progress and hope that my results are the same as yours

Thanks

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamik View Post
    Yea I was tired for the first few days while limiting my carbs but I've upped my fat intake a little a bit and am now starting to feel good. I'm going to keep working out and see how I progress and hope that my results are the same as yours
    Don't expect to feel like you were taking creatine, anyway. You'll just feel normally strong and lean mass will be stable, I did not gain an ounce in these last months but who cares once you have an 8-pack: body fat will literally evaporate.

Speaking about the most important thing in the world (health): I'm glad about the acne. It's a really bad thing and if it is regressing it can only be another confirmation that primal/paleo are humans' preferred eating habits. Thanks for sharing!

P.S. I eliminated white rice and eat some blueberries, cranberries, strawberries, ribes, etc. White rice brings lot of carbs, fruits have plenty of vitamins and antioxidants, which are more important. And they taste so much better than white rice... no need for a dessert after a handful of them. Enough said!

Motorhead is offline Member
    I can confirm the decrease in acne after going Primal too, I am older and only really had issues on my back. Wife used to love popping blackheads on my back, but not many there anymore.
    SW on 10/1/11: 380lbs.
    CW 12/13/12: 315lbs. (Was under 300#, added some muscle :-) )
    GW: 10% B.F. 250lbs. - 275lbs. (6' 4" tall)

Quote Originally Posted by primal_alex View Post
    Don't expect to feel like you were taking creatine, anyway. You'll just feel normally strong and lean mass will be stable, I did not gain an ounce in these last months but who cares once you have an 8-pack: body fat will literally evaporate.

Speaking about the most important thing in the world (health): I'm glad about the acne. It's a really bad thing and if it is regressing it can only be another confirmation that primal/paleo are humans' preferred eating habits. Thanks for sharing!

P.S. I eliminated white rice and eat some blueberries, cranberries, strawberries, ribes, etc. White rice brings lot of carbs, fruits have plenty of vitamins and antioxidants, which are more important. And they taste so much better than white rice... no need for a dessert after a handful of them. Enough said!
    I don't tolerate fruit well, I think I may have a problem with bad bacterial overgrowth somewhere hence my acne improvement with low carb.

My weight has remained pretty stable, I did lose fat but I seem to be making muscle gains now. Hope I can bulk up eating a surplus of calories in meat

Any more ideas appreciated!