Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 3 best exercises to strengthen back muscles (to prevent back injury) page 4

sandstone is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    Talking about generic 'injuries' in threads on this forum is a little counter productive in my opinion. There is no one size fits all solution here. Unless we're discussing a specific injury in a certain individual then a lot of this is just plain confusing for people.

As someone who works in rehab (and there are others here I know), it's important that we differentiate between general guidelines and specific recommendations.
    The OPs question was about injury prevention not rehab. Unless you know what kind of injuries you are going to get in the future I'm not sure how specific your training can be?
    Last edited by sandstone; 06-25-2012 at 05:31 AM.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandstone View Post
    The OPs question was about injury prevention not rehab. Unless you know what kind of injuries you are going to get in the future I'm not sure how specific your training can be?
    Not including trauma, it's actually pretty easy to work out what injuries an individual is likely to develop. And, (shock horror) people who work in rehab are also interested in injury prevention.

My point is - there is no one set of exercises that will prevent back injuries.

Not including trauma, it's actually pretty easy to work out what injuries an individual is likely to develop. And, (shock horror) people who work in rehab are also interested in injury prevention.

So why not help the OP out and give him some injury prevention ideas?
    Last edited by sandstone; 06-25-2012 at 07:04 AM.

For the MEN Who use kettlebells to build your back muscles,
    what weight KB do you use? I want to buy one. ONE.
    Last edited by OnlyBodyWeight; 06-25-2012 at 10:56 AM.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    search Craigs Lists for kettle bells, you might be able to find more used for the price of one new..... Once your are ready, you should be swinging a 50 lb/25 Kg k-bell, but you might want to start with a 35 lb to get form down. You can alway purchase another 35 lb down the road and do double single handed swings.
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandstone View Post

So why not help the OP out and give him some injury prevention ideas?
    You've completely missed my point. I know nothing about the OP so suggesting some exercises that will prevent a potential injury is akin to picking things out of a hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    You've completely missed my point. I know nothing about the OP so suggesting some exercises that will prevent a potential injury is akin to picking things out of a hat.
    I do understand your point but I don't really agree with it. Holistic systems like CST or Movnat look at human movement patterns as a whole and train the body to interact from head to toe as a single unit- as Sonnon says their is only one muscle in the body. They try to avoid isolating single (or even groups) of moves in favor of full body movement. The exercises and drill in CST and Movnat programs seem very thoroughly put together to me and certainly not picked from a hat!!

I understand that rehab is different it is a clear problem but when you try to prehab as specifically you may only be strengthening one area to move the problem to another.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The ole bird dog exercise and its variations are suppose to activate and aid in strengthening the multifidus muscles of the spine (small and deep stabilizers). Just google multifidus exercises for some progressions.

For a very basic question that is probably the "safest" answer, because in the end I agree with Coach Palfrey that this CAN be quite individual based on a persons health history and current imbalances and a host of other factors.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234