Thread: Sushi Skillz? page

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member

Sushi Skillz?

Primal Fuel
    Ok, trying to make some home made rolls. I can put down large amounts of "good" sushi so I figure the problem is either in my prep or the products I used. Basically I get an off feeling in the gut after 6-7 rolls (one sheet).

The factor that seems to be hurting me (hitting the stomach kinda weird) is the nori. I ate the left over rice with all the other ingredients with no problemo. Eat it in the roasted seaweed wrap and my stomach feels a bit off for a few hours. Second time this happened with my homemade stuff.

So is there something I'm missing in the prep of the seaweed wrap? Have no problems with it when I eat out, and I absolutely LOVE seaweed salad as an appetizer.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Do you moisten the Nori before putting the rice on?

That's about the only thing I can think of.

Getting the rice right is always the hardest bit for me when making sushi.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Do you moisten the Nori before putting the rice on?

That's about the only thing I can think of.

Getting the rice right is always the hardest bit for me when making sushi.
    No I was just slathering the still warm rice on.....It needs to be moistened first?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Well, you can roll it 'dry', but I definitely prefer my Nori slightly moistened. I press a damp cloth onto the nori to moisten is slightly. That makes it softer and more flexible.

Too much and it will become too soft and prone to tearing. You'll get the hang of it though, it's not like it's rocket science.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks....I'll keep working on it....maybe open a new bag of Nori.