Thread: Is coconut oil counter-productive for bulking? page

MeganFox is offline Junior Member

Is coconut oil counter-productive for bulking?

Shop Now
    I am trying to gain weight, is coconut oil counter-productive? I know that MCT (60% of coconut oil's composition) don't get stocked as fat by the body, and some studies report that coconut oil helps burn fat (which isn't ideal for me, since having a bit extra fat on you helps maintaining an anabolic state).

jakey is offline Senior Member
    no, it's fine. don't read too much into the way your body stores or burns things, as it's still all about total calories.

for example, you cannot store alcohol as fat, or store it as anything else for that matter. it will be burned preferentially until it's out of your system. doesn't mean that alcohol won't make you gain weight. you just put off burning the other calories you've taken in.

if MCT's can't be stored as fat (and i'm not convinced of that, btw), you'll just store the other calories you've taken in, until they're burned off. which will create the bulking situation, which is nothing more than a caloric excess.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Nah knock your socks off with the CO, I'm in the same boat some what I decided to up my body fat a few percent to gain some muscle and performance. Now I have to track my damned carbs to ad fat...WTF it's like reverse primal.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    you cannot store alcohol as fat, or store it as anything else for that matter. it will be burned preferentially until it's out of your system. doesn't mean that alcohol won't make you gain weight. you just put off burning the other calories you've taken in.
    So if you consumed 1,000 calories above maintenance from a diet consisting entirely of alcohol, would you gain weight?

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Yes.

Say 2000 kcal maintenance. Plus 1000 kcal of alcohol. You would burn 1000 kcal of whatever else plus 1000 kcal of alcohol and store up to 1000 kcal/day.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Not sure if/how this might relate to coconut oil, but here's some good info on the alcohol question:

The truth about alcohol, fat loss and muscle growth | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health